The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Chances of getting into UCL (for Economics)?

GCSE's: 2 A*'s, 3 A's, 4 B's, 1 C
AS Level: AAAA (Maths, Economics, R.S., French)
A Level (predicted): AAA (Maths, Economics, French)

want to study one of these (in rough order of preference):
- Economics (L100)
- Statistics, Economics and a Language (GLR0)
- Philosophy & Economics (VL51)
- Statistics, Economics and Finance (GLN0)
- Economics with a Year Abroad (L101)
Reply 1
I think they want an A* in Maths, this is a must.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
They want an A* in maths, but i don't think it can stop you from applying, your going to have to ask UCL directly if you can apply. But their other things that would be considered ur personal statement and reference. If their outstanding you never know you can get an offer but ask the uni of course. Most likely their probably gonna make you a conditional offer for A* in Maths if they accept your application.
Reply 3
Original post by Alpha5
I think they want an A* in Maths, this is a must.

Original post by Taj S Padda
They want an A* in maths, but i don't think it can stop you from applying, your going to have to ask UCL directly if you can apply. But their other things that would be considered ur personal statement and reference. If their outstanding you never know you can get an offer but ask the uni of course. Most likely their probably gonna make you a conditional offer for A* in Maths if they accept your application.

thanks for the replies. If I get the A* in maths, will my GCSE's put me at a major disadvantage?
Reply 4
Original post by buggity
thanks for the replies. If I get the A* in maths, will my GCSE's put me at a major disadvantage?

Knowing UCL, probably. Also, UCL's L100 course asks for UMS, so high UMS will also be needed. I'd avoid L100 or L101 if I were you. GLN0 may be worth a shot.
Original post by zxh800
Knowing UCL, probably. Also, UCL's L100 course asks for UMS, so high UMS will also be needed. I'd avoid L100 or L101 if I were you. GLN0 may be worth a shot.

For the L100 Econ course, do they ask you for your UMS in every subject, or just maths?
Reply 6
Original post by sweetascandy
For the L100 Econ course, do they ask you for your UMS in every subject, or just maths?

Every subject.
Original post by zxh800
Every subject.

Do they everyone and then do the short-listing altogether? Or do they ask some people, and then do further short-listing based on that?
Also, what time of the year do they start doing this?
LSE emailed me asking for my unit marks a couple of weeks ago. Not sure whether that means they've short-listed me to the next stage, or if that's what they do to every candidate.
Reply 8
Do they everyone and then do the short-listing altogether? Or do they ask some people, and then do further short-listing based on that?
Also, what time of the year do they start doing this?
LSE emailed me asking for my unit marks a couple of weeks ago. Not sure whether that means they've short-listed me to the next stage, or if that's what they do to every candidate.

For L100 I think they ask all candidates (LSE). As for UCL, they either want the UMS submitted on the UCAS form in the "other" section. Or, they want you to e-mail the UMS along with your UCAS ID immedietly after applying.
Original post by zxh800
For L100 I think they ask all candidates (LSE). As for UCL, they either want the UMS submitted on the UCAS form in the "other" section. Or, they want you to e-mail the UMS along with your UCAS ID immedietly after applying.

Well after sending my UCAS off in mid October, I almost immediately received an acknowledgement email from UCL. But since then, I haven't got any other emails, nor did I write my unit marks on my UCAS form. That doesn't mean they're not considering me, does it? :cry2:
Reply 10
Well after sending my UCAS off in mid October, I almost immediately received an acknowledgement email from UCL. But since then, I haven't got any other emails, nor did I write my unit marks on my UCAS form. That doesn't mean they're not considering me, does it? :cry2:

Read the bottom of the Acknowledgement e-mail.

It says :
If you have completed, or are studying A-levels, you were able to provide details of your UMS marks in your UCAS application. If you did not provide this information then we would be grateful if you could email it to [email protected], including your UCAS Personal ID.

What happens if you don't? I don't know, they probably will just withold your application when they get to it and then ask your school/you for UMS.
Original post by zxh800
Read the bottom of the Acknowledgement e-mail.

It says :

What happens if you don't? I don't know, they probably will just withold your application when they get to it and then ask your school/you for UMS.

OMG i can't believe I was stupid enough to not even read it! :eek: I just sent the email with my unit marks. Thank you SO much, +rep gone your way! :biggrin:

I sent mine off last week they haven't asked me for my UMS marks. They said in da acknowledgement email that if they need additional information they would email back. But i wouldnt worry too much they get thousands of application so their gonna take der time. Plus u still got people applying so their gonna get stacks of applications in still.
Reply 13
dw, my GCSEs are just like yours, except i only have 1 A*... I applied for L101 back in mid October and emailed them my UMS. Havent heard yet either. =/ my predicted are A*A*AA
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending