The Student Room Group

How much revision do you do for a-levels in relation to gcse's?

And preferably what kind of grades do you get?

I figure this would be the best way for me to get some kind of guideline as to how much revision I should be doing.

But yeah it'd be appreciated if people replied. Plus any horror stories about how you revised the night before for GCSE's and got 20 A*'s and then you did the same at AS and got 4 U's(to motivate me (Y)).

EMZ=]

Scroll to see replies

Did barely anything for GCSE (1 hr day during revision max) - got A*A*A*AAAAABBB

Worked my ass off for A levels (4 hours average during revision) got AAAb (bio chem econ phys)
Reply 2
barely revised for GCSE and got 2 A*s and 8 A's
did the same for A Levels and got BBC and now I wish I'd revised more!!!!

SO DEFINITELY REVISE A LOT MORE because GCSE's are a LOT easier
I hardly did anything for a lot of my GCSEs and got 9A*'s, 3As, 1B
I haven't done my AS levels but you definitely need to do more work as you can't just blag your way through like you can for GCSEs - especially in sciences, you need to know everything to SPECIFIC detail. During GCSE year, you don't really need to do any work/listen in lessons but can still do well in exams but you definitely need to work hard throughout your whole AS year so don't just think you can cram it in revision for A levels x
Reply 4
Can anyone else reply? *Bumping*

Getting a bit worried now since I've been getting D's and E's in the end of topic tests and mocks just because I haven't been paying much attention during class, I'm planning on learning it all over the Christmas holidays, planning on doing several hours a day etc.? I have a pretty good memory?

For GCSE's I revised the night before(not a hyperbole; though most lessons I actually paid attention, except for French and in Graphics it was coursework based and I ended up doing a year's worth of coursework in the space of a week and it was graded F, so then in the theory I didn't even bother answering the questions hoping to get a U, but my F was too high etc. etc.) and got 3A*, 5A, D, G(D in French and G in Graphics).

I'd like to get A's in the jan. modules and I'm doing my as in maths in jan. and would like a high A. Mainly because the college has me down as a C-level student because my GCSE average is terrible(even though french and graphics have nothing to do with science and maths...). Even in the fast-track maths class I've got a pretty poor MTG, I think only me and one other person are predicted B's while everyone else is predicted for the most part A*'s :/.

EMZ=]

tl;dr just read the first/second paragraph, for some reason I started rambling on about my entire academic profile lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Emor
And preferably what kind of grades do you get?

I figure this would be the best way for me to get some kind of guideline as to how much revision I should be doing.

But yeah it'd be appreciated if people replied. Plus any horror stories about how you revised the night before for GCSE's and got 20 A*'s and then you did the same at AS and got 4 U's(to motivate me (Y)).

EMZ=]

It varies, I remember my brother pulling all nighters before the exam and he came out with As and A*s. I have friends who revise for weeks and come out with Bs and sometimes As.
bump
Reply 7
Original post by Besakt
It varies, I remember my brother pulling all nighters before the exam and he came out with As and A*s. I have friends who revise for weeks and come out with Bs and sometimes As.

I think I could probably get away with very little revision if I had been keeping up in class, but I haven't so I'm thinking I'll have to be doing a lot more revision. After the Jan. exams I'm going to put a lot more effort into keeping up with the content in lesson(and going over the stuff I missed out of lesson) rather than giving up and waiting for the next topic.

EMZ=]
Reply 8
about 5 hours a day after school, getting straight C's with the odd B so i'm quite happy with that
Reply 9
Didn't really revise for GCSE's until the night before 4A*4A,3B,2C
Worked really hard towards AS and got aaaa. Lost my motivation in A2, not doing as much as I could have, but still managed AABa overall thanks to high UMS in AS.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
No revision for GCSE's 5A* 4As.

Re-taught myself the topics at home, did all the homework, every single past paper until I got 100% on it for AS. Got 4As. 90%+ average in 2 subjects.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Jin3011
Didn't really revise for GCSE's until the night before 4A*4A,3B,2C
Worked really hard towards A-Levels. AABa

How many hours a day over the Christmas holidays did you do? Assuming you had Jan. exams?

EMZ=]
Didn't revise at all for GCSE, did very mediocre. Mainly C's. Revised a lot more for A-Level, got A*BB.
Reply 13
Original post by Emor
I think I could probably get away with very little revision if I had been keeping up in class, but I haven't so I'm thinking I'll have to be doing a lot more revision. After the Jan. exams I'm going to put a lot more effort into keeping up with the content in lesson(and going over the stuff I missed out of lesson) rather than giving up and waiting for the next topic.

EMZ=]

Unit 2 is usually much longer than unit 1 you will end up with a lot of work at the end of the year if you can start revision now and do aswell as you can it will be for the best then again some people can do better at the end of the year like me for example I got a C grade in January modules 1s then I came out with As in June.
Reply 14
Original post by Emor
How many hours a day over the Christmas holidays did you do? Assuming you had Jan. exams?

EMZ=]

I'm kind of a hermit, so I used to revise for a few (4-7 with breaks) hours everyday during the winter holidays. By this time, I had already learnt the majority content so it was just case of getting as much exam practise as possible.
Reply 15
Original post by Jin3011
I'm kind of a hermit, so I used to revise for a few (4-7 with breaks) hours everyday during the winter holidays. By this time, I had already learnt the majority content so it was just case of getting as much exam practise as possible.

I'm pretty reclusive but tend to spend copious amounts of time on the internet on tumblr/youtube/forums/etc. Though hopefully I'll be able to do a couple of hours a day if I just manage to keep motivated etc. :smile:.

EMZ=]
Reply 16
Gotta revise atleast 7 hours a day starting from September to get AAA.
Reply 17
i did no revision what so ever for gcse got : 8A*'s, B, D, D,D :tongue:

and im not even focused for alevels :frown:
Reply 18
Original post by Emor
I'm pretty reclusive but tend to spend copious amounts of time on the internet on tumblr/youtube/forums/etc. Though hopefully I'll be able to do a couple of hours a day if I just manage to keep motivated etc. :smile:.

EMZ=]

Wish you all the best. Just don't lose momentum towards the end:smile:
Reply 19
Original post by soyasauce
i did no revision what so ever for gcse got : 8A*'s, B, D, D,D :tongue:

and im not even focused for alevels :frown:

Same, I used to pay attention in class all the time for GCSE and never really fell behind but in all of my subjects now there is at least a couple of topics(esp. for chem.) which I really don't understand.

EMZ >_<.

Quick Reply

Latest