The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eloades11
Yer there are quite a few people for our course, we also have to share the labs with everyone on a similar degree stream(for the first year, anyway). Did you go to Essex uni? What were the first year labs like?

We would share labs but even than it will boost it up to 150-200 max, and the teaching lab could easier fit that many in

first year where fun :p: 3 labs for each module normally 3 hours long, the 6 hour labs come in, in the 2nd year

normally biomed stuff from testing blood, to genetics and chem/ biochem stuff, I always liked labs because I learn better by doing and seeing what is happening, plus lab reports and coursework I got far better marks :p:
Original post by WhatTheFunk
We would share labs but even than it will boost it up to 150-200 max, and the teaching lab could easier fit that many in

first year where fun :p: 3 labs for each module normally 3 hours long, the 6 hour labs come in, in the 2nd year

normally biomed stuff from testing blood, to genetics and chem/ biochem stuff, I always liked labs because I learn better by doing and seeing what is happening, plus lab reports and coursework I got far better marks :p:

I wish I could say our first year labs are fun, so far we've done titrations and used a spectrophotometer. We have a lab on Thursday which I'm supposed to read up on, something to do with purifying a sample of ovalbumin from an egg, it doesn't look thrilling :redface:

I'm hoping I can get some good marks from these lab reports. I keep getting below average marks in the module tests. The first year counts towards 10% of my overall degree.
Reply 362
Original post by badumdumtscht
Anyone got advice on how to deal with the world's worst lab partner? Sometimes I feel like making her eat the pipette tips.

I had this problem.

I basically did all the work in a day with him watching over doing nothing but make the odd comment here and there.

It was a lab report on Microscopy.

We got 40%.

I was gutted. :frown:
I wish I could say our first year labs are fun, so far we've done titrations and used a spectrophotometer. We have a lab on Thursday which I'm supposed to read up on, something to do with purifying a sample of ovalbumin from an egg, it doesn't look thrilling :redface:

I'm hoping I can get some good marks from these lab reports. I keep getting below average marks in the module tests. The first year counts towards 10% of my overall degree.

we did a few titrations and spectrophotometers

I used to like the labs on a Friday, finish at 5, have a few in the SU bar, go back get something to eat and go out :p: you felt more up for the night out as well :p:

first year labs are never that thrilling

wow it counts for 10% of you degree, thats one way to get you to work

takes a bit of the 2nd year I guess, the 2nd year is far the worst year
we did a few titrations and spectrophotometers

I used to like the labs on a Friday, finish at 5, have a few in the SU bar, go back get something to eat and go out :p: you felt more up for the night out as well :p:

first year labs are never that thrilling

wow it counts for 10% of you degree, thats one way to get you to work

takes a bit of the 2nd year I guess, the 2nd year is far the worst year

I see, I won't be getting my hopes up for some awesome dissection or an exciting lab any time soon then!

That's the only thing motivating me to finish the labs, to go out and get a drink with some mates after. We have two 6-hour labs every 3 weeks, plus I've got a test on Proteins, Genes and Genetics on Thursday morning :frown:

I assume the second year is a lot harder, we've covered a lot of the basic stuff already in A-levels. How did your assessment work in the second year? I'm really worried about the exams because I'm not good at writing essays at all.
Anyone on placement at the moment?
I just started my final rotation, in microbiology. (Spent 2 weeks in each discipline, Haem, Biochem, Histo, Cyto, Micro)
At the end of these 2 weeks I have to chose which department in which I want to spend the next 10 months completing my registration portfolio, and I don't have the slightest clue which to choose haha!!!
I see, I won't be getting my hopes up for some awesome dissection or an exciting lab any time soon then!

That's the only thing motivating me to finish the labs, to go out and get a drink with some mates after. We have two 6-hour labs every 3 weeks, plus I've got a test on Proteins, Genes and Genetics on Thursday morning :frown:

I assume the second year is a lot harder, we've covered a lot of the basic stuff already in A-levels. How did your assessment work in the second year? I'm really worried about the exams because I'm not good at writing essays at all.

awesome dissection :p: depends on your uni

I dunno about harder, but the work load is so much more, we ended up with 7 summer exams in like 3 weeks, which is all fine for like the first 4 exams, but when you get to the 6th and 7th and you only really spent maybe a night revising because you just haven't had the time

Assessment carried me though the 2nd year big time, you will end up with essays and SPF to do
Applied for my masters now :proud:

I dunno about harder, but the work load is so much more, we ended up with 7 summer exams in like 3 weeks, which is all fine for like the first 4 exams, but when you get to the 6th and 7th and you only really spent maybe a night revising because you just haven't had the time

Assessment carried me though the 2nd year big time, you will end up with essays and SPF to do

I think we get to do a dissection in the second year, that could be fun.

The second year sounds hard, what are SPF's by the way?

The lab we just done was horrible, it took us 6 hours and we still didn't manage to get a good set of data. We had to purify a sample of ovalbumin from egg-white and determine the number of thiol groups per protein molecule. I haven't done any of the calculations yet, and I have no idea why we done the whole of the last part of the experiment! I guess I'll have to read over the manual after I've gotten some sleep :rolleyes:
I think we get to do a dissection in the second year, that could be fun.

The second year sounds hard, what are SPF's by the way?

The lab we just done was horrible, it took us 6 hours and we still didn't manage to get a good set of data. We had to purify a sample of ovalbumin from egg-white and determine the number of thiol groups per protein molecule. I haven't done any of the calculations yet, and I have no idea why we done the whole of the last part of the experiment! I guess I'll have to read over the manual after I've gotten some sleep :rolleyes:

Scientific paper format :p: its the way our uni called them, a pain at times, the normal intro, method, results etc...

Any data is better then no data, sleep on it or ask people
Biomed group? Sweet!

1st year Sheffielder atm!

Please could you send me an invite?

We get to dissect rats next term. Not sure whether to be feeling a little uneasy or be a little bit (morbidly) excited...
Original post by Seasick Steve
We get to dissect rats next term. Not sure whether to be feeling a little uneasy or be a little bit (morbidly) excited...

Anatomy is fun, we only ever had lectures on it, no dissection for us
Scientific paper format :p: its the way our uni called them, a pain at times, the normal intro, method, results etc...

Any data is better then no data, sleep on it or ask people

Oh I see, so basically similar to our written up lab reports, except more formal. I should be getting the data from someone soon, in the mean time I'll be writing up the rest of this report.

There's hope yet, we get to do something involving bacterial DNA in the next lab :smile: I'm sure it's not as exciting as I'm expecting it to be though.
Oh I see, so basically similar to our written up lab reports, except more formal. I should be getting the data from someone soon, in the mean time I'll be writing up the rest of this report.

There's hope yet, we get to do something involving bacterial DNA in the next lab :smile: I'm sure it's not as exciting as I'm expecting it to be though.

Yeah abit, it should be now you right your dissertation, and well based on papers

DNA work :p: I was never a fan off genetics
Reply 375
help me out calculations and dilutions i know nothing even conversions help

8 mL of NaCl solution are added to 40 mL of distilled water and then an
additional 20 mL of NaOH solution are added. By how many times has the
original NaCl solution been diluted?
a) 8.5
b) 8
c) 5.8
d) 0.1
e) 6
Third and final year Biomed at Kings....Tryna figure out what to do after my degree. I'm predicted a 2:1. Any ideas or help? I don't want to do a masters or anything, quite frankly, I'm done with studying. I want to work, something pharmaceutical related? Or finance? Consultancy? Biomed gives you such a range of options when you finish, that it's almost a hinderance, I'm finishing uni, thinking "what now..?"
Reply 377
Original post by azz92
help me out calculations and dilutions i know nothing even conversions help

8 mL of NaCl solution are added to 40 mL of distilled water and then an
additional 20 mL of NaOH solution are added. By how many times has the
original NaCl solution been diluted?
a) 8.5
b) 8
c) 5.8
d) 0.1
e) 6

A) 8.5. The original population of Na+ and Cl- ions, which were in 8ml are now in 68 ml of water. That's 8.5 times as much water.
Reply 378
Original post by Jale
A) 8.5. The original population of Na+ and Cl- ions, which were in 8ml are now in 68 ml of water. That's 8.5 times as much water.

THANK YOU understood so its like 68/8 gives 8.5 so 8.5 times water diluted lol
help on this one... by the way this is practice questions because im stupid lol

Question 2
One-hundred and twenty grams of NaCl are dissolved in water to make 5440
mL of solution. The molecular weight of NaCl is 58.44 g/mol . What is the
molarity of the resulting solution?

a) 5.4 M
b) 120 M
c) 0.38 M
d) 0.38 mol
e) 3.38 M

Question 3
How many grams of NaOH are needed to make 120 mL of a 0.75 M solution?
The molecular weight of NaOH is 40 g/mol.
a) 4.80 g
b) 0.48 g
c) 0.36 g
d) 0.75 g
e) 3.60 g
Original post by stargirl63
Third and final year Biomed at Kings....Tryna figure out what to do after my degree. I'm predicted a 2:1. Any ideas or help? I don't want to do a masters or anything, quite frankly, I'm done with studying. I want to work, something pharmaceutical related? Or finance? Consultancy? Biomed gives you such a range of options when you finish, that it's almost a hinderance, I'm finishing uni, thinking "what now..?"

Ha I and half the people I graduated with still feel like that

If you are graduating this year ideally need to be looking and applying to grad schemes now

the NHS has a finance scheme/ general management

just have to look and apply

the trouble with masters is its going to cost you unless you are very lucky and get funding, these always voluntary work for a few months, boost the CV as well