The Student Room Group

Jeremy Clarkson: strikers should be 'shot' - what a disgusting bastard

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EcclesRose
I love how some people are saying 'Oh its only a joke, it's not meant to be taken seriously'

Why is it that people always have to justify what Clarkson says? Pure and simple - he said it to get a reaction, like he always does. And its worked yet again, but probably not in his favour this time.

That isn't the point.

Anybody with more than 2 brain cells to rub together will be able to work out he was being sarcastic. Heck, the man even said so, himself.
Anyone with even a bit of knowledge about what happened on The One Show would know that he strongly implied that his views are the exact OPPOSITE of what he said.

Context is key!
By complaining & making posts about him, you're keeping him relevant & in the news, prolonging his exposure. Don't.
Original post by Wednesday Bass
Shouldn't the title to this thread be "Clarkson successfully trolls the country again"?

No, it should be "Jeremy Clarkson once again shows that half the country cant take a joke" tbh.
Reply 204
Original post by Billy Pilgrim
Don't really see the connection with being 'locked up' but whatevs.

do you even know what freedom of speech is?
Original post by justdoit1
wow

so the government can do whatever hell it wants, and we sit there and do nothing?

V vor Vendetta croses my mind.

as a student , i'm already annoyed i'm may be in dept for my entire life if i live that long

IT'S NOT MY FAULT WE JOINED AN ILLEGAL WAR IN IRAQ.
IT'S NOT MY FAUL WE WASTE WAR ON THE ARMY.
IT'S NOT MY FAULT WE ALLOW CAPITALISM/BANKERS...
IT'S NOT MY FAULT AT ALL

SO WHY DO WE SUFFER?

Really? You've taken our government being a totalitarian regime out of Clarkson making a joke on TV. Really?
Reply 206
Too many posts to trawl through. Just want to point out that, in addition to being so offensive to the strikers, he was also offensive to those who could see no way out of their torment other than by committing suicide. He expressed anger that his train journeys had been disrupted in the past by hold-ups because someone had thrown themselves off a platform. He maintained that the trains should just continue their journey over the dead body of the rails since they were dead anyway.

Now he may think he's very witty...I think he's a crass r's hole of the very lowest order of humanity, who should most definitely be sacked and never allowed to work wherever he is able to have a public voice.
OP you have three times as many negative ratings as you do positive.
Perhaps you're the disgusting bastard?
Original post by Integral
That isn't the point.

Anybody with more than 2 brain cells to rub together will be able to work out he was being sarcastic. Heck, the man even said so, himself.

Oh, so thats okay then, I could say Hitler had the right idea killing 6 million Jews, but as long as I'm sarcastic and point out my sarcasm after I've said the comment, it's okay.

No.
Oh, so thats okay then, I could say Hitler had the right idea killing 6 million Jews, but as long as I'm sarcastic and point out my sarcasm after I've said the comment, it's okay.

No.

My word, you PC dolts are so...difficult.

I'll ask. Do you act like this in real life? Are you friends like this?

I can't stand the term, but it was purely sarcastic 'banter'.
Reply 210
He gets paid more that a million pounds or above! why should he go on strike, he can live of his money for 3 centuries! The people have a RIGHT to strike they get paid way less that him even if it is a Doctor :/ .

In my opinion I agree with this strike, We should be again this pension increase tax thing !

Clarkson is just TOO RICH FOR HIS OWN GOOD! DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO THINK FOR OTHER PEOPLE!
I can't stand people who complain over this sort of thing. The guy should be allowed to say anything he wants. Everyone, and I mean, everyone, knew he was joking. Yes, joking! No need to complain over something so petty. These people honestly annoy me so much, it's just as bad as that X Factor "girl in the... kitchen" thread from a week ago! No one actually cared. I'm a girl. I laughed at it. Just shut up and stop going on and trying to make a scene.
These people need to stop being so "OMG you can't say that!" Actually, you'll find that you can. Stop debating what can and can't be said, because I'm pretty sure if Britain was to bring in laws about limiting freedom of speech, these people would suddenly be very "oh that's so unfair!" You can't have it both ways. Grow up and stop irritating everyone else.

Jeremy Clarkson is much, much cooler than you'll ever be.
Freedom of Speech in this country allows him to say pretty much what he wants. (Racism/Hate speech aside)

Besides, he was so obviously joking, he was just exaggerating his view that he does not agree with the strikes. I really do hate how Politically Correct this country has become, one joke about violence and everyone's going into a freaking frenzy. Have a sense of humour for christsakes.

No.

Have you actually looked at the remarks in context? If you hear the few sentences he said beforehand, he was clearly giving two extreme views in an entirely sarcastic and humorous vein.

"I think they have been fantastic. Absolutely. London today has just been empty. Everybody stayed at home, you can whizz about, restaurants are empty," he said
"It's also like being back in the 70s. It makes me feel at home somehow," said the Top Gear presenter, before adding: "But we have to balance this though, because this is the BBC."
Mr Clarkson went on: "Frankly, I'd have them all shot. I would take them outside and execute them in front of their families. I mean, how dare they go on strike when they have these gilt-edged pensions that are going to be guaranteed while the rest of us have to work for a living?"
When the presenters pointed out that these were Mr Clarkson's personal views, he said: "They're not. I've just given two views for you."

You can hear from the way he says it that he's not serious if you watch the clip.
Original post by Integral
My word, you PC dolts are so...difficult.

I'll ask. Do you act like this in real life? Are you friends like this?

I can't stand the term, but it was purely sarcastic 'banter'.

I'm questioning his motives. I'm not questioning what he said - most of what he says is so stupid it's easy to dismiss. How exactly does questioning his motives make me PC?

Why are you asking what I'm like in real life? It has absolutely nothing to do with this

How is this banter? Banter is making fun of your friends, but in a way that you and your friends know you are doing so in a friendly light. Did you understand that? You and your friends. Clarkson chose to say this on a show where it can be watched by millions of people. I think he knew that saying something like this would get the reaction it did, and he was right. The blatant attention seeking is what's annoying about this, rather than what he said.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 215
*sigh* Internet people, always overanalysing nothing.
Reply 216
Just shows how politically correct our society is
Original post by justdoit1
wow

so the government can do whatever hell it wants, and we sit there and do nothing?

V vor Vendetta croses my mind.

as a student , i'm already annoyed i'm may be in dept for my entire life if i live that long

IT'S NOT MY FAULT WE JOINED AN ILLEGAL WAR IN IRAQ.
IT'S NOT MY FAUL WE WASTE WAR ON THE ARMY.
IT'S NOT MY FAULT WE ALLOW CAPITALISM/BANKERS...
IT'S NOT MY FAULT AT ALL

SO WHY DO WE SUFFER?

Because like all protesting students before you you will get a job, a car, a family. You will gradually change your attitudes and will quite quickly be part of the people who are investing in pensions, worrying about your lifestyle and finding other things to worry about besides wars you wont actually be fighting.

The 40 somethings, 50 somethings, 60 somethings who run the country were all part of different student protests.

Go and wave your little banner or shout pointlessly on a website, soon enough you'll be more concerend about protecting your own little part of the world.
Original post by michael321
Have you actually looked at the remarks in context? If you hear the few sentences he said beforehand, he was clearly giving two extreme views in an entirely sarcastic and humorous vein.

You can hear from the way he says it that he's not serious if you watch the clip.

Good old Clarkson, always goes for the extreme options. Because he knows he'll make a load of money by doing so.
Reply 219
D*MN i ran out of negs so I can't neg the OP :-(

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending