The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3640
Original post by dnumberwang
Got an interview for Worcester, oxford :biggrin:

See you there :biggrin:
Being the maths geek that I am (and we all are), what is the best calculator I could ask 'santa' to get me?
I have a scientific one but i've had it ever since year 7 and its fine for gcse maths and at a push AS but for A2 and uni I'd prefer one a bit more scientific! I've heard casios are good and do surds and stuff....

What has anyone got?
Original post by BeccaCath94
Being the maths geek that I am (and we all are), what is the best calculator I could ask 'santa' to get me?
I have a scientific one but i've had it ever since year 7 and its fine for gcse maths and at a push AS but for A2 and uni I'd prefer one a bit more scientific! I've heard casios are good and do surds and stuff....

What has anyone got?

casio fx-991es plus....works a treat

does intregration, differentiation, matrix & complex calculations....saved me 10 raw marks in FP1! :biggrin:

Congrats!

I still haven't heard... really starting to worry now =(
Original post by laughylolly
Congrats!

I still haven't heard... really starting to worry now =(

Don't worry ^^

I know several people applying to Trinity who have not yet heard.
Original post by Reminisce
Don't worry ^^

I know several people applying to Trinity who have not yet heard.

Oh really? Okay. Maybe they are just late sending out decisions...

What has anyone got?

fx991ES plus is the god of calculators.

It doesn't seem to have a mod function though :s-smilie:
Agreed with the comments about the fx991ES. In my opinion the best calculator that's allowed for A-Level, and I guess it works just as well beyond that(?) It's almost funny how much of a time advantage it gives you doing the grungy complex number bits of FP2 for example - where anything can be converted from Cartesian to polar form and vice versa. Also great in S2 for Binomial and Poisson distributions - just stick the formula in, give it some limits and watch it whir away!
Original post by TheMagicMan

Original post by officeface
Agreed with the comments about the fx991ES. In my opinion the best calculator that's allowed for A-Level, and I guess it works just as well beyond that(?) It's almost funny how much of a time advantage it gives you doing the grungy complex number bits of FP2 for example - where anything can be converted from Cartesian to polar form and vice versa. Also great in S2 for Binomial and Poisson distributions - just stick the formula in, give it some limits and watch it whir away!

Really? I have the fx9760G II and it's pretty awesome too! I have pacman and snake on it too. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Rahul.S
casio fx-991es plus....works a treat

does intregration, differentiation, matrix & complex calculations....saved me 10 raw marks in FP1! :biggrin:

Ooh wow! Can you use it in the exam??

This one keeps cropping up...thank you :smile:

Original post by officeface

So its allowed in the exam to type all the stuff in?? I would've thought it wasnt....dont you need to show working? :/ It sounds good though!

Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Really? I have the fx9760G II and it's pretty awesome too! I have pacman and snake on it too. :biggrin:

Ooh fancy!! Hahah i dont think i need one that plays games!!!

There seems to be a clear winner here....thanks guys!
Ooh fancy!! Hahah i dont think i need one that plays games!!!

There seems to be a clear winner here....thanks guys!

Haha, it's pretty awesome, best game I've seen on it is Pokemon, but I don't want to risk slowing it down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3pmRQREPsk

Check it out! :biggrin:

EDIT: Of course it's very good for maths too obviously. Pretty good with graphs, finding maximums minimums intercepts etc. Simultaneous Equations and Polynomials to six degrees. Conics, it pretty much did all my work for S1, so much to the point where I don't know how to use a distribution table. *_* So in some ways, it does more good than bad, one of the mains reasons I've refused to sit anymore stats while I'm at college lol.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Haha, it's pretty awesome, best game I've seen on it is Pokemon, but I don't want to risk slowing it down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3pmRQREPsk

Check it out! :biggrin:

Nice!!!! :biggrin:
Reply 3652

Original post by fGDu
See you there :biggrin:

Wow, that makes at least 5 on TSR for Worcester maths. What are you guys gonna wear? Dunno whether to wear a suit or not
Reply 3653
Original post by scherzi
Wow, that makes at least 5 on TSR for Worcester maths. What are you guys gonna wear? Dunno whether to wear a suit or not

I don't think I'm going to suit up, probably just a shirt and trousers. You'll be able to recognise me, I'll be the only person without a suit lol. It is odd that there is so many of us that have interviews at Worcester, I mean they admit about 10 people each year, so presumably around 30 people have interviews.
Original post by xmusicx
Hey, i got an interview today, just thought i'd let you know since you asked :smile:

Guess what? Me too!! Was that for Worcester? Mine's for New. Maybe we'll see each other knocking around! :biggrin:

It does doesn't it? Have you tried the Abs button. I think it's on a shift function. But I'm pretty sure it is there. :confused:
Ooh very nice :smile: Good luck! I hope you get an interview!

I've applied to sheffield, leeds, lancaster, liverpool and heriot-watt in edinburgh.....but i arent doing just maths as some i've applied for joint hons with german and others a study abroad option so.....

I live in York actually and have done all my life so if you've got any questions about it..... :smile:

Well I got the interview!! Very exciting stuff! :biggrin: nice choices, in sure you can get offers from all of them! And the german thing sounds exciting, if not really difficult!
Original post by Miller693
Guess what? Me too!! Was that for Worcester? Mine's for New. Maybe we'll see each other knocking around! :biggrin:

It does doesn't it? Have you tried the Abs button. I think it's on a shift function. But I'm pretty sure it is there. :confused:

I've found it thank you :biggrin:

Never been able to until now :s-smilie:
has anyone received anything from york? havent heard from them. sent off my app on 21st oct applying for econ n math. :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3658
Original post by Liyanajamain
has anyone received anything from york? havent heard from them. sent off my app on 21st oct applying for econ n math. :s-smilie:

I got an offer for straight maths a couple of weeks ago.
Original post by Miller693
Well I got the interview!! Very exciting stuff! :biggrin: nice choices, in sure you can get offers from all of them! And the german thing sounds exciting, if not really difficult!

Wow!! Well done! :biggrin: When is it?
Aww thank you :smile:
Yeah haha the german thing is v difficult and im rapidly going off it!!

Latest