The Student Room Group

Regretting my choice of uni.....

Hiya,

If this is in the wrong section feel free to move it mods, but just wanted to get this off my chest.

Basically, I am starting to regret the uni I am at, feeling like I should have aimed higher, and could have got it. I see that most people are at higher universities and I feel a massive sense of regret. I got ABB for my grades, yet my course only required BBC, and I know at the time I wanted it, when I chose it, but now I'm here I'm feeling almost constant regret....

I feel like I'm worth more than this, that I could have gone to somewhere better, and its not like I can talk to any staff at uni about this as that would be a bad move :tongue: Jokes aside, I really am feeling worried, about my future careers etc. And the personal side of it, and the connotations people have of the university, which would reflect on me, especially as my uni is in an Oxbridge city....... :frown:

Does anyone else feel like this? If so, how do you cope? Also, what should I do? :frown:

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Quit then. Or apply to transfer next year.
Reply 2
You could either consider a transfer to year two if your courses are similar enough... if not, drop out and reapply.
Reply 3
Is it the university's place in the rankings that are getting you down, or the competence of your colleagues?

If the former, don't bother moving. If the latter, get your application for a transfer in.
Reply 4
Original post by Muffinz
Is it the university's place in the rankings that are getting you down, or the competence of your colleagues?

If the former, don't bother moving. If the latter, get your application for a transfer in.

Both! Which is why it's difficult, it's so easy for everyone to say 'quit' but in practice it's hard. I just don't want to do a transfer and then regret it. Do you know what I mean? Things like this are a big decision, some may not see that but it is to me.... sigh.....
Reply 5
Is your University Oxford Brookes by any chance?
I wanted to apply there because the city of Oxford is really nice but then I thought it was aiming too low so I left it.
Reply 6
Original post by Axellia
Is your University Oxford Brookes by any chance?
I wanted to apply there because the city of Oxford is really nice but then I thought it was aiming too low so I left it.

...... Yeah. What made you guess that? :tongue:

I'm not sure what to say to the rest of your comment, as I can't quite figure out the tone of what you're saying lol!
Reply 7
Original post by KatyS
...... Yeah. What made you guess that? :tongue:

I'm not sure what to say to the rest of your comment, as I can't quite figure out the tone of what you're saying lol!

I'm not really sure what I'm trying to say either haha
What don't you like about it? Do you feel the other people are slower than you at learning etc?
Reply 8
Put in an application to transfer. You can always change your mind and stay!
Reply 9
Original post by Axellia
I'm not really sure what I'm trying to say either haha
What don't you like about it? Do you feel the other people are slower than you at learning etc?

Erm, not necessarily, I suppose some must be, but generally the people I talk to are on my level. I'm starting to believe it must be the course, as to be honest I don't have any passion for it, and I chose it as I knew I had to have a course to study at uni .... meh.
Reply 10
once you've done your degree most employers dont care where you got it from as long as you ahve a decent degree and the work exp to back it up to your chosen career path... I got ABB and i went to coventry uni because of mainly my course but i liked the uni. I could have easily got into other places but i beat Oxbridge candidates to a job...
Its not what you know its who you know and you might aswell have fun along the way :wink:
Reply 11
Original post by Muffinz
Put in an application to transfer. You can always change your mind and stay!

How the heck do I do that? :tongue:
Original post by KatyS

Original post by KatyS
Hiya,

If this is in the wrong section feel free to move it mods, but just wanted to get this off my chest.

Basically, I am starting to regret the uni I am at, feeling like I should have aimed higher, and could have got it. I see that most people are at higher universities and I feel a massive sense of regret. I got ABB for my grades, yet my course only required BBC, and I know at the time I wanted it, when I chose it, but now I'm here I'm feeling almost constant regret....

I feel like I'm worth more than this, that I could have gone to somewhere better, and its not like I can talk to any staff at uni about this as that would be a bad move :tongue: Jokes aside, I really am feeling worried, about my future careers etc. And the personal side of it, and the connotations people have of the university, which would reflect on me, especially as my uni is in an Oxbridge city....... :frown:

Does anyone else feel like this? If so, how do you cope? Also, what should I do? :frown:

Thanks in advance

Transfer, life isn't so bad lol
Reply 13
Original post by lcsurfer
once you've done your degree most employers dont care where you got it from as long as you ahve a decent degree and the work exp to back it up to your chosen career path... I got ABB and i went to coventry uni because of mainly my course but i liked the uni. I could have easily got into other places but i beat Oxbridge candidates to a job...
Its not what you know its who you know and you might aswell have fun along the way :wink:

If that's true then why on earth so people tell us otherwise? (people being schools etc) :tongue:
Reply 14
Also to everyone, thanks for all your replies, though I'm now thinking its the course I don't like! Think I need to do some serious thinking and talking to people. I just don't want to be seen as 'the person that couldnt hack it'...

Does anyone have any advice on choosing a course? :frown: Because as sad as it sounds I don't feel like I have a passion for anything at all, yet I'd like a degree because I do enjoy learning, just not this course :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending