The Student Room Group

Jeremy Clarkson: strikers should be 'shot' - what a disgusting bastard

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EcclesRose
But what would stop him from demanding more? After all, he is a presenter of Top Gear, a show broadcast all over the world...

What has his increased demand for money got to do with what he said yesterday?
I get the feeling that not many of the people who complained about clarkson's comments actually watched the one show yesterday, so here's a transcript:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/dec/01/jeremy-clarkson-one-show-strike

That's right, as you've probably heard, Jeremy said it as a joke, after supporting the strikers, in his own way...

Cue Unison trying to land him in legal trouble and almost 5000 humorless bbc viewers (or non-viewers as may well be the case) complaining.

Do these people have so little going for them in their lives that they feel the need to take apart clarkson for a joke? Particularly when he was supporting their cause and was obviously quoted out of context? :rolleyes:
Original post by Integral
What has his increased demand for money got to do with what he said yesterday?

To go on the show, perhaps?
Reply 243
Original post by Woffles
Freedom of Speech =/= Freedom to be insulting. If this was the case, then the country would be in complete anarchy. Knowing that you can say ANYTHING you want regardless of how you conduct yourself whilst saying it, and not fear apprehension from the authorities is ghastly imo. Is it so hard to ask for a little decorum if you want to exercise freedom of speech?

Haha. You actually think people don't go around saying whatever they want and insulting people because the authorities will apprehend them? Maybe, just maybe, the fact they will lose their friends or get their heads kicked in is enough?
Reply 244
Original post by TShadow383
I get the feeling that not many of the people who complained about clarkson's comments actually watched the one show yesterday, so here's a transcript:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/dec/01/jeremy-clarkson-one-show-strike

That's right, as you've probably heard, Jeremy said it as a joke, after supporting the strikers, in his own way...

Cue Unison trying to land him in legal trouble and almost 5000 humorless bbc viewers (or non-viewers as may well be the case) complaining.

Do these people have so little going for them in their lives that they feel the need to take apart clarkson for a joke? Particularly when he was supporting their cause and was obviously quoted out of context? :rolleyes:

what happened
To go on the show, perhaps?

He can go on and give a dull interview without comments and still be payed. I don't get what you're trying to say. Unless, you're impying he was payed more because of what he said.
People are way too uptight these days, 5000 idiots complained about a joke.
5000 out of millions

Dicks lmao!
Reply 248
...I'm pretty sure no one thinks Jeremy Clarkson actually wants the strikers shot. But you can't go on national tv and make jokes about 'executing them in front of their families'. It's just nasty.

And obviously he wasn't supporting the cause, he was just happy that there wasn't any traffic.
He can go on and give a dull interview without comments and still be payed. I don't get what you're trying to say. Unless, you're impying he was payed more because of what he said.

He's not the type of person to be dull though - hes an opinionated man with a massive ego. Charging a show more than usual would be exactly the kind of thing he would do.
What he said might have been a little insensitive, but this is a free country and he can say what he likes. Plus he was joking, and his words have been taken out of context. He better not get the sack, Top Gear would be rubbish without him!!
I hope Jeremy Clarkson is executed in front of his family tbh, then his garotted head is flung at his wife's face for marrying such a speng

And if that bothers anyone, remember that it's a free country and we should all learn to take a joke
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by blu tack
...I'm pretty sure no one thinks Jeremy Clarkson actually wants the strikers shot. But you can't go on national tv and make jokes about 'executing them in front of their families'. It's just nasty.

And obviously he wasn't supporting the cause, he was just happy that there wasn't any traffic.

OP disagrees.
But you brought up the popularity point? Or is it only irrelevent when the person disagreeing with you brings it up?

Well you can believe that if you like, but I doubt he'd go on the One Show and say that for free

I brought it up as a tangential point relating to your comment:

Clarkson chose to say this on a show where it can be watched by millions of people. I think he knew that saying something like this would get the reaction it did, and he was right. The blatant attention seeking is what's annoying about this, rather than what he said.

It was a legitimate rebuttal of the notion that Clarkson was just being "attention-seeking", or at least that there is anything wrong with this, by pointing out that for every detractor you've got a hundred people who find it funny.

But certainly it was tangential. You still haven't addressed most of my points.

Clarkson earns millions from the BBC, from royalties on his books and DVDs, and so on. I'd guess he'll get expenses and possibly a moderate fee for appearing on The One Show, but I don't think it's about the money. He got invited on because he's an interesting guest, and presumably he went because
he's happy to get some airtime talking about himself (most people would be) and current affairs (ditto).
Political Correctness: avoidance of expressions or actions that can be perceived to exclude or marginalize or insult people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against

oh sorry, never knew opposing people who advocate murder [jokingly or not] is being pc. my bad(!)
He's an idiot, everyone knows...we can enjoy his idiotic comments he makes.
Original post by bestofyou
this is the prefect example of something I said the other day about free speech to someone else, well nearly prefect.

Why can't Emma West have freedom of speech? Just becasue it is an incredibly ridiculous one doesnt mean she can't voice it. Just because it is insulting shouldn't mean that she can't have it, I've heard much worse 'jokes' on stand up shows yet nothing is said about those...

Whilst I don't agree that she should have been arrested, I don't think that's a reasonable comparison in the slightest.
It was taken completely out of context. Before saying what he said he stated he was saying that to even out him being in support of the strike - so he doesn't appear bias. Obviously a joke, people are just pathetic - why is this a national problem now with all the other things that happen!?
Original post by justdoit1
wow

so the government can do whatever hell it wants, and we sit there and do nothing?

V vor Vendetta croses my mind.

as a student , i'm already annoyed i'm may be in dept for my entire life if i live that long

IT'S NOT MY FAULT WE JOINED AN ILLEGAL WAR IN IRAQ.
IT'S NOT MY FAUL WE WASTE WAR ON THE ARMY.
IT'S NOT MY FAULT WE ALLOW CAPITALISM/BANKERS...
IT'S NOT MY FAULT AT ALL

SO WHY DO WE SUFFER?

I don't think there is much chance of you dying before the end of your life......

Well you willingly take part in the system so yes, it partially is your fault. "I hate capitalism!" - you say as you type on your computer, in your house, while being lent money from bankers etc. to pay for an education, all because of capitalism....

And I hardly think being critical over people striking over a few % is akin to "the government doing whatever it wants".
He was having a laugh. For a country that espouses freedom of speech it really shows that there is such a limit on that right.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending