The Student Room Group

Jeremy Clarkson: strikers should be 'shot' - what a disgusting bastard

Scroll to see replies

Anyway he has apologised. I am over it
Original post by Rant
His opinions and views are at odds with the interests of the majority of people in the country.

Says who? The polls released yesterday showed that the majority of british people were against the strikes, and many of clarkson's opinions are what made him immensely popular.
Not everyone will agree with you about everything all of the time.
Deal with it.
Original post by TShadow383
I get the feeling that not many of the people who complained about clarkson's comments actually watched the one show yesterday, so here's a transcript:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/dec/01/jeremy-clarkson-one-show-strike

That's right, as you've probably heard, Jeremy said it as a joke, after supporting the strikers, in his own way...

Cue Unison trying to land him in legal trouble and almost 5000 humorless bbc viewers (or non-viewers as may well be the case) complaining.

Do these people have so little going for them in their lives that they feel the need to take apart clarkson for a joke? Particularly when he was supporting their cause and was obviously quoted out of context? :rolleyes:

Don't think he actually meant to support them, but the whole thing was a joke and he obviously didn't meant what he said literally.
Reply 283
Totally agree, I find these people who complain such busybodies.. it's a ****ing joke, he doesn't actually intend to make a case for shooting these people in front of their families.
Original post by michael321
I brought it up as a tangential point relating to your comment:

It was a legitimate rebuttal of the notion that Clarkson was just being "attention-seeking", or at least that there is anything wrong with this, by pointing out that for every detractor you've got a hundred people who find it funny.

But certainly it was tangential. You still haven't addressed most of my points.

Clarkson earns millions from the BBC, from royalties on his books and DVDs, and so on. I'd guess he'll get expenses and possibly a moderate fee for appearing on The One Show, but I don't think it's about the money. He got invited on because he's an interesting guest, and presumably he went because
he's happy to get some airtime talking about himself (most people would be) and current affairs (ditto).

I do certainly believe there is an element of attention-seeking - we've seen before that Clarkson enjoys spouting his opinions to anyone who will listen (one-eyed scottish idiot)

I also think that the producers of the One Show probably saw him spouting his rubbish as an opportunity to boost their ratings, so were happy to pay him extra to go on the show.
He's a knob. Not much more to say.
Original post by Rant
His opinions and views are at odds with the interests of the majority of people in the country.

According to whom?
Original post by ThePropheticNomad
****ing idiot, i never said he is being actually serious. i said it was a joke of poor taste and overstepped the line. he needs to be fired or ostracised. ross/brand did something offensive and got the same treatment.

"To quote Hundal, this isn’t really a joke because he repeats with quite a serious face the lie that they have ‘gold plated pensions’. There was nothing funny in it."
Original post by EcclesRose
You're right, there is a big difference. But he's done this before - calling Gordon Brown a 'one-eyed Scottish idiot', for example - I think the producers probably saw him as a target for any flak that would come out of this, and use it to boost their ratings. He's done it before, why wouldn't he do it again?

Far too much speculation for my likings. There are too many things you don't know that you're working from.
Reply 289
Says who? The polls released yesterday showed that the majority of british people were against the strikes, and many of clarkson's opinions are what made him immensely popular.
Not everyone will agree with you about everything all of the time.
Deal with it.

That's funny, because I don't know a single person who was against the strikes. People don't like Tories bossing them around, they don't like living in a dying system and they don't like being sneered at and insulted by a toff on TV.

You and your ilk might like him, but you're not the ones taking to the streets to force change. People have had enough.
Reply 290
Total freedom of speech is not a problem when a) offenders apologise for causing offense to uninvolved bystanders and b) participants are forgiving when the offender apologises for being offensive, but both parties acknowledge the offender's right to speech.

If such instances happen each time an offense is accidentally made in the course of Freedom of Speech, then everything would happen soundly. Unfortunately, some people will be offended by truth sometimes, we can work on that. There are also times when people are deliberately offensive. These people need a public backhanding.
Reply 291
Original post by JCC-MGS
I hope Jeremy Clarkson is executed in front of his family tbh, then his garotted head is flung at his wife's face for marrying such a speng

And if that bothers anyone, remember that it's a free country and we should all learn to take a joke

But yours isn't obvious it's a joke. It was for Jeremy Clarkson as he'd just been speaking in support of the action.
Original post by ThePropheticNomad
Anyway he has apologised. I am over it

So, you were actually waiting for him to apologise for being sarcastic?

You people are hilarious :rofl:
Reply 293
Original post by michael321
According to whom?

According to logic.
Original post by Rant
That's funny, because I don't know a single person who was against the strikes. People don't like Tories bossing them around, they don't like living in a dying system and they don't like being sneered at and insulted by a toff on TV.

You and your ilk might like him, but you're not the ones taking to the streets to force change. People have had enough.

So in other words, you surround yourself with people of the same political ideology as yourself, have an utter irrational hatred of people who don't agree with you and feel that you should get your own way despite being in the minority.

Diddums.

Original post by Rant
According to logic.

Ah yes, the famous logic of "nobody could possibly disagree with me, because I'm right about everything. Democracy? Pah! I know what's best for everyone."
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Integral
Far too much speculation for my likings. There are too many things you don't know that you're working from.

Well you're entitled to your opinion, but I think there is more to this than him making a joke.
Reply 296
Original post by Integral
So, you were actually waiting for him to apologise for being sarcastic?

You people are hilarious :rofl:

"Please rate some other members before rating this member again"
Reply 297
I get the feeling that not many of the people who complained about clarkson's comments actually watched the one show yesterday, so here's a transcript:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/dec/01/jeremy-clarkson-one-show-strike

That's right, as you've probably heard, Jeremy said it as a joke, after supporting the strikers, in his own way...

Cue Unison trying to land him in legal trouble and almost 5000 humorless bbc viewers (or non-viewers as may well be the case) complaining.

Do these people have so little going for them in their lives that they feel the need to take apart clarkson for a joke? Particularly when he was supporting their cause and was obviously quoted out of context? :rolleyes:

I'm sure Jeremy Clarkson can handle it to be honest
Original post by Rant
According to logic.

Ah so everything is entirely objective is it?

There are many who agree with Clarkson that the strikers have it good and they should stop complaining. There are many who agree with Clarkson that Gordon Brown is a one-eyed Scottish idiot.
Statement 1:
Original post by A Mysterious Lord

"We live in a free country, Jeremy Clarkson can say what the hell he wants...

Statement 2:
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
...if you don't like it, don't listen, stop complaining

...You don't see the contradiction here?

P.S. Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can say whatever you like to whomever you like.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending