The Student Room Group

Uk military prepares for iran attack!

What does everybody think about the possibility of going to war with Iran?The US are making moves encouraging a very likely chance of war!

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/nov/02/uk-military-iran-attack-nuclear

Do you think it will happen?
Do you think it should happen?

Discuss...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Will Iran be attacked? - Yes. Will UK be active in that - Unsure.

Yes, Iran can not be trusted with WMD's.
Reply 2
Original post by ras90
Will Iran be attacked? - Yes. Will UK be active in that - Unsure.

Yes, Iran can not be trusted with WMD's.

your signature is awesome!
Why should our people die protecting israel when they wont listen to us when we ask them to stop going too far in their treatment of palestine? Its about time our help came with the condition of them not exacerbating the situation with white phosphorus and the like.
Mark my words. No other country will attack Iran except for Israel, with perhaps military support in terms of intelligence from the US/UK. The UK does not have the means to carry out an attack on Iran. - Forget the fact that the US/UK/NATO would never get the support from the international community to carry out an attack. Israel? They can do what they want.
Original post by JonathanNorth
Mark my words. No other country will attack Iran except for Israel, with perhaps military support in terms of intelligence from the US/UK. The UK does not have the means to carry out an attack on Iran. - Forget the fact that the US/UK/NATO would never get the support from the international community to carry out an attack. Israel? They can do what they want.

Why dont we? Theyre talking about missiles. We have missiles.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/8587357/New-British-missile-three-times-as-fast-as-current-weapons.html
i like how this is from the 2nd of November?! 4 weeks late much?
i dread to think of the consequences if UK attacks Iran. So many countries with various allegiences a possible WW3?
Reply 8
i cant wait to be vaporised.

Although that particular missile hasn't yet been built or I should say, is not in service with the British military, we do have the capability to attack Iran with Tomahawk missiles.

I actually meant the political/international means/support. I don't think an attack on Iran would ever get pass a UN vote. Simple as that. Plus could you imagine the public uproar in the UK? It just won't happen. While it seems Israel would be able to get away with attacking Iran. (cite: Iraq and the Syrian nuclear centrifuges)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Greig_R
What does everybody think about the possibility of going to war with Iran?The US are making moves encouraging a very likely chance of war!

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/nov/02/uk-military-iran-attack-nuclear

Do you think it will happen?
Do you think it should happen?

Discuss...

British officials consider contingency options to back up a possible US action as fears mount over Tehran's capability

Every country does this. The UK would be stupid not to plan for any eventuality
Reply 11
Original post by JonathanNorth

We don't have the means?

I hope you aren't suggesting we don't have the military means...

Political means, I'd be surprised if we didn't have those too. Since when was a war not conducted without full support from the wider, international community?

I think the only deciding factor here would be whether or not a nuclear retaliation from Iran would be a genuine threat. Saying that, with current defenses against ICBMs, I'd say its likely the combined anti-ICBM systems could contain launches from Iranian soil, no matter where they may be.

I hope this is a situation that doesn't form. I wouldn't want to see a war with Iran, as it would be lead to a much higher loss of life then anything we saw in Iraq or Afghanistan. Unlike the Taliban, I don't think the Iranian Forces would be scared to meet NATO forces in open battle.
Reply 12
Original post by Aj12
British officials consider contingency options to back up a possible US action as fears mount over Tehran's capability

Every country does this. The UK would be stupid not to plan for any eventuality

This. I would wager the UK has plans to accommodate any hostile military action from any force on the planet. :dontknow:
Reply 13
Original post by DH-Biker

I hope this is a situation that doesn't form. I wouldn't want to see a war with Iran, as it would be lead to a much higher loss of life then anything we saw in Iraq or Afghanistan. Unlike the Taliban, I don't think the Iranian Forces would be scared to meet NATO forces in open battle.

Plus you have to wonder what Russia and China's actions would be if so... That's the more worrying thing :lol:
Reply 14
We don't have the means?

I hope you aren't suggesting we don't have the military means...

Political means, I'd be surprised if we didn't have those too. Since when was a war not conducted without full support from the wider, international community?

I think the only deciding factor here would be whether or not a nuclear retaliation from Iran would be a genuine threat. Saying that, with current defenses against ICBMs, I'd say its likely the combined anti-ICBM systems could contain launches from Iranian soil, no matter where they may be.

Really? I know there is a lot of research down that way but I did't think there were good reliable systems in place yet
Reply 15
Original post by R-KAM
Plus you have to wonder what Russia and China's actions would be if so... That's the more worrying thing :lol:

That's another point. I'm no expert on international relations to any high degree, and I certainly am not aware of what Russia and China think of Iran.

I would be willing to bet Russia had a few backdoor deals, though. Like any Nation, I agree, but ICBM carcasses and SCUD systems aren't the easiest things to get.

Russia's FROG is a prime example of a mobile ICBM system, if Iran bought any... Maybe I'm stabbing in the dark at Russia here, but I wouldn't be surprised if Russia had had anything to do with Iran's nuclear weapons program.

Back in regards to an actual attack on Iran, I wonder where Russia and China stand in regards to an Iran/America-UK War. Might be worth reading up on the history between the three of them, actually.
Original post by R-KAM

Russia would condemn the attack in the strongest possible terms. If they were gonna really do anything theyd have sold iran those missile defense systems. I dunno about china. Theres not much they could do military wise.
Reply 18

That's another point. I'm no expert on international relations to any high degree, and I certainly am not aware of what Russia and China think of Iran.

I would be willing to bet Russia had a few backdoor deals, though. Like any Nation, I agree, but ICBM carcasses and SCUD systems aren't the easiest things to get.

Russia's FROG is a prime example of a mobile ICBM system, if Iran bought any... Maybe I'm stabbing in the dark at Russia here, but I wouldn't be surprised if Russia had had anything to do with Iran's nuclear weapons program.

Back in regards to an actual attack on Iran, I wonder where Russia and China stand in regards to an Iran/America-UK War. Might be worth reading up on the history between the three of them, actually.

In the Guardian yesterday.

The Guardian
The biggest customer for Iranian oil, China, called for calm in the wake of the British embassy crisis, warning against "emotionally charged actions".

THe Guardian
Russia echoed the sentiment. In Moscow, a foreign ministry spokesman, Alexander Lukashevich, said: "We speak out categorically against cranking up a spiral of tension and confrontation on issues linked with Iran. We believe that this is fraught with severe consequences."

Seems they are on their side, can't really jump to conclusions, but both of them are hardly the most trustworthy of nations!

Interesting festive period ahead.
http://www.commodityonline.com/news/crude-oil-us-sanctions-against-iran-and-chinas-call-for-ww-iii-44134-3-1.html

Seems china is talking tough on the issue. If they think they could fight ww3 with the us theyre delusional. They only just got an aircraft carrier and as I pointed out in another thread, in terms of force projection, cant compete with us let alone the us.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending