The Student Room Group

About to take amitriptyline....

....and just wanted some people's experiences of it

I'm a medic so should look it up myself, but don't want to read all about all the possible side effects (as I will then probabaly develop them all...the power of the human mind :rolleyes: )

So basically I know it causes severe drowsiness...if I take it now will I be completely ruined until the morning? And if I take it any later tonight am I risking making myself not good for tomorrow? I'm wanting to get up at 8 for clinicals at 9, although have explained to my consultant I might not be in due to medication experiments...

I'll only be taking 10mg (it's for pain management, not for depression where the dose given is much higher).

Any help from anyone who takes it, or any other medics who are lurking about would be much appreciated

Thanks, Marissa

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It will probably make you feel weird tomorrow. Aim to take it an hour or 2 before you go to bed, or 10-12 hours before you want to get up. So it's kind of up to you whether you take it now and then go to bed soon, or take it later and risk feeling worse tomorrow.
I found amitriptyline really great actually. I took it about two hours before I went to bed, slept wonderfully, and then got up at a reasonable time not feeling drowsy at all. It's the most "clean" (for want of a better phrase) pill I've taken to aid my sleep. Problem is it only worked for a week and then the insomnia was back :wink: but yes, most sleeping pills give you a nasty kind of "hangover" feeling the next day (for me I felt like I was in some weird coma state) but amitrityline didn't give me that at all.
I can't say it had any effect on me pain-wise (I get a generally achey and painy body) but it's different for everyone.
Good luck with it, and don't worry about the sleep thing, you should be fine :smile:
Reply 3
I used to take 50mg at night for pain and the only side effect I had was a dry mouth. I can't remember having any sort of 'hangover' feeling personally and used to take it just as I was settling down to sleep so ~8 hours before getting up.
Reply 4
Thanks for all the responses, really reassuring to hear some non-scary first hand experiences! Actually bottled out of taking it last night- was having a lovely, painfree time at a party and really didn't want to cut it short :colondollar: But anyway, the pain is back in full force now, so no more excuses, have literally just this second taken it.

Original post by Hygeia
I used to take 50mg at night for pain and the only side effect I had was a dry mouth. I can't remember having any sort of 'hangover' feeling personally and used to take it just as I was settling down to sleep so ~8 hours before getting up.

Hygeia, could I just ask what you were taking it for? And was it effective in getting rid of pain, and if so how long did it take to have an effect? Thanks so much

:smile: xxxx
Reply 5
Oh also to anyone else who's had experience with this drug, I am absolutely terrified of putting weight on and amitriptyline is notorious for weight gain, Any tips for keeping it off? It's just I'm only 5'2'', so any extra pounds will really show! (Currently 105lbs)
Original post by Alanine

I'm a medic so should look it up myself, but don't want to read all about all the possible side effects (as I will then probabaly develop them all...the power of the human mind :rolleyes: )

So basically I know it causes severe drowsiness...if I take it now will I be completely ruined until the morning? And if I take it any later tonight am I risking making myself not good for tomorrow? I'm wanting to get up at 8 for clinicals at 9, although have explained to my consultant I might not be in due to medication experiments...

I'll only be taking 10mg (it's for pain management, not for depression where the dose given is much higher).

Any help from anyone who takes it, or any other medics who are lurking about would be much appreciated

Thanks, Marissa

I took mine for pain management also!

It sent me to sleep so quickly and because my dose was too high, I felt a bit zombie like the next day but once I had my dose altered, it really did help! :smile:

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!
Reply 7
Original post by Alanine
Thanks for all the responses, really reassuring to hear some non-scary first hand experiences! Actually bottled out of taking it last night- was having a lovely, painfree time at a party and really didn't want to cut it short :colondollar: But anyway, the pain is back in full force now, so no more excuses, have literally just this second taken it.

Hygeia, could I just ask what you were taking it for? And was it effective in getting rid of pain, and if so how long did it take to have an effect? Thanks so much

:smile: xxxx

I was taking it for chronic headaches initially then when they settled down I had a spell without taking amitriptyline, then when I was having problems with neuropathic joint pains, I started taking it again (25mg that time). I honestly can't remember how long it took to take effect but don't think it was more than ~2 weeks at most.

Original post by Alanine
Oh also to anyone else who's had experience with this drug, I am absolutely terrified of putting weight on and amitriptyline is notorious for weight gain, Any tips for keeping it off? It's just I'm only 5'2'', so any extra pounds will really show! (Currently 105lbs)

Weight wise, I had absolutely no problems with amitriptyline, never had any weight gain related to it on either occasion I took it. I did gain weight the second time but that was related to prednisolone/inactivity/hormonal contraceptives not the amitriptyline!
(edited 12 years ago)
I took it for 2 months and I have to say I hated it. I took it for pain relief (I have chronic pain and chronic fatigue) and my doctor's reasoning was that the drowsiness side effect might cause me to sleep deeper and in turn help the fatigue. Instead (taking 10mg every other day, so very low dose) I would sleep for 14-16 hours at a time on the days that I took the drug. Taking it at 6pm and I'd be asleep by 8pm that evening and be groggy even after that length of sleep. If woken up before I came around naturally I'd be a zombie.

I stopped taking it, unsurprisingly.
But it might be that it just mixed badly with my condition!

Oh and it didn't do anything for my pain!
I'm on gabapentin now and it works so much better for me =]
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Alanine

Thanks, Marissa

I am on amitriptyline, (for migraines not depression) and I was advised to take it no later than 9.30pm, if I take it any later I find it difficult to get out of bed early as I'm so tired. I'm on a higher dose though, 25mg (and I take one and a half) Aside from the tiredness if taken late, I haven't experienced any other side effects and I've been taking it for a few years now.
Reply 10
One week update: no obvious side effects from 10mg per day. Really pleased with that! Sadly no pain reduction either, but it's too soon to tell really.
Reply 11
Original post by sarahthegemini
I am on amitriptyline, (for migraines not depression) and I was advised to take it no later than 9.30pm, if I take it any later I find it difficult to get out of bed early as I'm so tired. I'm on a higher dose though, 25mg (and I take one and a half) Aside from the tiredness if taken late, I haven't experienced any other side effects and I've been taking it for a few years now.

Thanks Sarah! Just out of interest, how long did it take til you noticed a difference? And how often do you get a migraine these days while taking it? Apologies for the overly keen questioning, am very interested in personal opinions of the drug! I'll be going up to 20 from tonight, so hopefully it'll kick in soon.
Original post by Alanine
Thanks Sarah! Just out of interest, how long did it take til you noticed a difference? And how often do you get a migraine these days while taking it? Apologies for the overly keen questioning, am very interested in personal opinions of the drug! I'll be going up to 20 from tonight, so hopefully it'll kick in soon.

Don't worry, i'm happy to answer your questions! If I remember rightly I noticed a difference pretty much right away, I was originally on a different migraine drug but went through a 'rough patch' where the migraines were so frequent they switched me to amitriptyline (10mg) My migraines improved so much I went from the rough patch of having them weekly to once in a blue moon! Unfortunately though after a year or so I had another 'rough patch' and so went upto 25mg and again, the improvement happened immedietly. Nowadays *touch wood* I hardly ever get them in fact I can't even remember the last time I had a migraine! I really hope the drug works for you as it really did work wonders for me :smile:
I am on them, take them an hour before bed. I came off them by consequence felt so rubbish, so I went back on them mid November and still waiting for them to work. I am off work at the minute trying to recover from a spiral of depression, fatigue, stomach pains and general worn down. I am hoping to get back to the doc what's happening with me and hope that the Amitriptyline kicks in soon, my migranes have subsided but the depression and fatigue and sleep disturbances are back and pains. So what's going on there I don't know.
Reply 14
Mines doing just fine ... I've been taking it for 3 months now for the same reasons and take 3 a night. The only side effects that you are likely to get is a dry mouth, my doc told me to keep upping them until the pain subsides :smile: they are working and I they dont make me feel groggy in the morning either.
I hated taking amitriptyline for my migraines, made me think weried things and dizzy before i went to sleep. Then my limbs felt so heavy when i woke up. But im glad looking down at the other posts, people have experience the drug positively.
Original post by darthgirlie
I hated taking amitriptyline for my migraines, made me think weried things and dizzy before i went to sleep. Then my limbs felt so heavy when i woke up. But im glad looking down at the other posts, people have experience the drug positively.

I think I know what you mean, just sitting at the computer yesterday that I felt the room spinning and needed to lie down. My limbs feel tender and heavy. Migranes eased off a little but still have to take my pain relief alongside. I feel tired after a long night of sleeping through, thats when I assumed I had CFS and followed this up with a visit to the GP, who did blood tests.
Original post by Quiet _One86
I think I know what you mean, just sitting at the computer yesterday that I felt the room spinning and needed to lie down. My limbs feel tender and heavy. Migranes eased off a little but still have to take my pain relief alongside. I feel tired after a long night of sleeping through, thats when I assumed I had CFS and followed this up with a visit to the GP, who did blood tests.

If you find that its still not working for you, ask you doctor for triptans (im not sure whether ive spelt that right) its a group of drugs that you take after your migrane that are brilliant compared to amytriptyline , imo. I take rizatripan melt on your tongue, tastes a bit funky but i find it works wonders :P Good Luck.
Original post by darthgirlie
If you find that its still not working for you, ask you doctor for triptans (im not sure whether ive spelt that right) its a group of drugs that you take after your migrane that are brilliant compared to amytriptyline , imo. I take rizatripan melt on your tongue, tastes a bit funky but i find it works wonders :P Good Luck.

Thanks for that, I do find the tongue goes numb with the Amitriptyline. I have been told that I have to stay on them. I find my sleep is disturbed by taking this.
Reply 19
I knew someone who took it. They got really fat and had severe side affects. They have been off it for over a year now and still complain of headaches and dizzyness. Before she took it she was really thin but now she is still grossly over-weight. Maybe it will work for you though.

Quick Reply

Latest