The Student Room Group

The Classics Society Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JLD93

Original post by JLD93
Hi all. I've applied for Ancient History for 2012.. Wondering if anyone goes to Liverpool/Manchester as these are my top two choices and I'm not sure which one I like more? Has anyone got an opinion on which one would be better? My key interest is the late Roman Republic. X

I go to Manchester. Late Roman Republic :coma: The guy who teaches Roman Republic is amazing - Tim Parkin. Makes early morning lectures worth going to :yep:
Original post by jismith1989
I studied classics at Manchester, and am very happy to recommend the department and its staff -- but I also know that Liverpool is a decent university too (although I'm of course inevitably biased towards Manchester) -- and there are quite a few academics who study/teach various aspects of Republican history (to be fair, I think almost all classics departments will have at least more than one, since it's pretty much central to what they do). So go to the open days, if you can, and see which university you like best firsthand. Where else are you applying to (since I presume you're not just going to apply to those two)?

Aemiliana here studies ancient history at Manchester now, so she may have a more relevant opinion to add. I think we've got some Liverpudlians out in the ether too.

I like how you write in full sentences and give a somewhat balance argument, but I just write a stream of consciousness :teehee:

Anyway, I hope they don't mind me doing this, but there is a Liverpudlian that could weigh in if they have time.

Linweth
:hugs:
I should really get off here and read up on the Roman Empire, actually. Or Catholicism in 17th century Japan. Whichever. But for this thread, it'll be the empire.
Original post by Aemiliana
I go to Manchester. Late Roman Republic :coma: The guy who teaches Roman Republic is amazing - Tim Parkin. Makes early morning lectures worth going to :yep:

Tim makes deathly hungover 10ams feel like meadow walks. <3 his voice.
Reply 1064
Original post by jismith1989
I studied classics at Manchester, and am very happy to recommend the department and its staff -- but I also know that Liverpool is a decent university too (although I'm of course inevitably biased towards Manchester) -- and there are quite a few academics who study/teach various aspects of Republican history (to be fair, I think almost all classics departments will have at least more than one, since it's pretty much central to what they do). So go to the open days, if you can, and see which university you like best firsthand. Where else are you applying to (since I presume you're not just going to apply to those two)?

Aemiliana here studies ancient history at Manchester now, so she may have a more relevant opinion to add. I think we've got some Liverpudlians out in the ether too.

I've also applied to Royal Holloway, Reading & Swansea. And I have been to Liverpool but I've looked at Manchester a lot over the internet and stuff and it just looks really good. But yeah I think I'll go on the open days before I do make my choice.

And thanks Aemiliana, it's good to hear positive things about it.
Original post by Aesc
Haven't seen many other 2012 applicants, where are they hiding? (I'm avoiding my Iliad re-read for interview prep because the Catalogue of Ships makes my brain hurt...)

Hi :pierre: long time no talk

Did you get your interview at Cambridge then? :smile:
Original post by JLD93
I've also applied to Royal Holloway, Reading & Swansea. And I have been to Liverpool but I've looked at Manchester a lot over the internet and stuff and it just looks really good. But yeah I think I'll go on the open days before I do make my choice.

And thanks Aemiliana, it's good to hear positive things about it.

Well if you're into Roman history both RHUL and Manchester are really good choices, RHUL in particular boasts Boris Rankov (if you're into military history) and Richard Alston (if you're into pretty much anything from the mid republic to late imperial) though I don't know to what extent they actually teach in general.

Manchester boasts Timothy Parkin who whilst not exactly a massive name, yet, has contributed some pretty good stuff on Rome particularly from a cultural and anthropological POV contrary to Alston's economical and the general Oxbridge literary perspective.

If you're really into Manchester, go there.
Original post by Aesc
Haven't seen many other 2012 applicants, where are they hiding? (I'm avoiding my Iliad re-read for interview prep because the Catalogue of Ships makes my brain hurt...)

Hello, I'm one :smile:
Reply 1068
Original post by medbh4805
Hi :pierre: long time no talk

Did you get your interview at Cambridge then? :smile:

Yep, it's next Tuesday and Wednesday. Getting a bit frantic now. Doesn't help that I've got an EPQ presentation the week after... Just gotta re-read some Aristophanes and tidy up my notes for easy reference (I don't think they'll ask too much on things I know, but at least I can say I've done all I could)

Think I saw on the UNIQ group that you got your Oxford one? When is it?
Reply 1069
Original post by harrosop
Hello, I'm one :smile:

Hello! How's your application going?
Original post by Aesc
Yep, it's next Tuesday and Wednesday. Getting a bit frantic now. Doesn't help that I've got an EPQ presentation the week after... Just gotta re-read some Aristophanes and tidy up my notes for easy reference (I don't think they'll ask too much on things I know, but at least I can say I've done all I could)

Think I saw on the UNIQ group that you got your Oxford one? When is it?

I had a history mock today (on Soviet history :puke: ), didn't study for it at all, spent the time reading classicsy books and philosophy. Supposedly have a maths mock the Tuesday after my interviews but it's unlikely any work'll be done for that either

6-9th :yes: beginning to regret only booking hand luggage now though :sigh:
I had a history mock today (on Soviet history :puke: ), didn't study for it at all, spent the time reading classicsy books and philosophy. Supposedly have a maths mock the Tuesday after my interviews but it's unlikely any work'll be done for that either

which college did you apply to? nvm just saw :P good luck!!
Reply 1072
Original post by Aemiliana

Original post by theultimateplu
Tim makes deathly hungover 10ams feel like meadow walks. <3 his voice.

Uhm. so 10am is early morning? :tongue:
Reply 1073

Hand luggage only? Have fun with that...
Ox don't tell you times or anything, do they? Have you got interviews at other colleges? I know I've got my three proper interviews on Tuesday afternoon (and it's a relatively short drive), then staying in college Tuesday night but because the Wednesday is all linguistic (aptitude test, with lesson before and feedback after) I don't have to be going out of my mind still preparing Tuesday night and can just enjoy being in college :smile: The Hellenist interview should be quite fun but I'm apprehensive about the Romanist one, all I can say is that the Aeneid was so underwhelming I stopped halfway through...
Original post by Aesc
Hand luggage only? Have fun with that...
Ox don't tell you times or anything, do they? Have you got interviews at other colleges? I know I've got my three proper interviews on Tuesday afternoon (and it's a relatively short drive), then staying in college Tuesday night but because the Wednesday is all linguistic (aptitude test, with lesson before and feedback after) I don't have to be going out of my mind still preparing Tuesday night and can just enjoy being in college :smile: The Hellenist interview should be quite fun but I'm apprehensive about the Romanist one, all I can say is that the Aeneid was so underwhelming I stopped halfway through...

gtfo i love the Aeneid :cry2:

I may have interviews at other colleges, but I'll have two at LMH, one on the set texts I've done for A level and any other reading I've done, and another with the philosophy tutors (:afraid:)

It's awkward because I mainly talked about Greek lit in my PS but i'm starting to prefer Latin literature....:beard:
Reply 1075
gtfo i love the Aeneid :cry2:

I may have interviews at other colleges, but I'll have two at LMH, one on the set texts I've done for A level and any other reading I've done, and another with the philosophy tutors (:afraid:)

It's awkward because I mainly talked about Greek lit in my PS but i'm starting to prefer Latin literature....:beard:

The propaganda element is so strong as to be almost sickly... But I might just be too attached to the Iliad - one of the assessment objectives for English Lit is that you should discuss "language, structure and form" [whatever they mean] as well as context and interpretations, and the Iliad is the first text I'd do that with willingly :colondollar:
Reply 1076
and another with the philosophy tutors (:afraid:)

The Philosophy one was actually the one I enjoyed most, I could have talked to the man for ages :smile:
Original post by Aesc
The propaganda element is so strong as to be almost sickly... But I might just be too attached to the Iliad - one of the assessment objectives for English Lit is that you should discuss "language, structure and form" [whatever they mean] as well as context and interpretations, and the Iliad is the first text I'd do that with willingly :colondollar:

I love propaganda though, generally. Was pretty interested in constructivist art when I was younger too, don't have to believe in Stalinism to appreciate it :moon:

I like the Iliad too. Haven't looked at it since the summer though, must glance it again :beard:
Original post by Sappho
The Philosophy one was actually the one I enjoyed most, I could have talked to the man for ages :smile:

Yeah, I think it has the potential to be really great, or depending on the tutor really, really difficult :erm:
Reply 1079
I love propaganda though, generally. Was pretty interested in constructivist art when I was younger too, don't have to believe in Stalinism to appreciate it :moon:

I like the Iliad too. Haven't looked at it since the summer though, must glance it again :beard:

Propaganda is interesting to study, yeah, but I don't want to read it myself... As an actual "book", Aeneid to me was too meh. I could study the propaganda etc without reading it, quite happily, just from history books or literary criticism etc, but with the Iliad I'd feel I was really missing out if I didn't go straight to the text.

If you get a chance, probably post-interview, have a look at Memorial by Alice Oswald. She basically just takes out of the Iliad all the names of the people who die, some of the passages around that (telling about their lives or about how they were violently torn apart) and some similies. It's a good way in to thinking about what the Iliad does (although I can't quite articulate what it's made me think yet...)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending