The Student Room Group

Racism on the Tram!!! Appalling!

Scroll to see replies

What about the Muslims colonies of Europe?

THIS IS BEFORE WHITE COLONIES IN AFRICA ETC

In Purple is Ottoman empire in 1910:

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Medstudentlondon.
racist. don't tell people to leave just because they moved to the UK after the British destroyed their own country. you don't own this land - and you can't dictate what I say and do - this isn't the colonial age anymore despite your wishes to dictate to the brown and blacks how we should behave.

Well you're assuming i'm white. I'm not. And you're calling me a racist? Lol, look back at your own posts hypocrite.
Reply 1362
Original post by Moe Lester
Yeah I can't possibly understand your perception of England thanks to my "internalized habitus". I'll tell you what dickhead. My great-grandparents and grandparents fought for "mother england" in two world wars against other Europeans. They arrived in this country and suffered horrid levels of abuse over the fact that they had black skin. They arrived to the UK into a country on it's knees thanks to the bombs of the German Air Force and an acute labour shortage caused by the second world war. They worked like dogs rebuilding this shattered country in the rubble of Bristol and London - my granddad suffered loads of crap when he arrived. He spent his childhood being told how Britain is the best country in the world and his adult life was spent fighting for the United Kingdom in a military conflict and working crappy jobs on a rubbish wage rebuilding the East End of London and parts of Bristol. I speak English and feel at home in the United Kingdom. I have no other country to go to. I apologise if my black face upsets you but this is my country as much as yours, having a certain phenotype doesn't give you the right to dictate how I should and do feel about my nationality and identity. It doesn't really get to me anymore that, despite my families physical and emotional investment in the UK, sections of society won't really accept me as a fellow Brit, haters gonna hate and all that.

Did you even read my post mad black kid before writing that block of rage?

This is also the reason why a foreign person who moves here as an adult might assimilate, yet they will always lack that internalized habitus that makes a British person British, they will always to an extent have the habitus of their own parent culture and will never truly be British.

Cool story, tell it again.
(edited 12 years ago)
This poor lady is being propelled into the media and used as a political tool. What viewers don`t realise is that she was mentally unstable at the time having just experienced significant trauma in her life and had found refuge in alcohol while suffering from paranoid thoughts. She is not a racist person and has black friends. She is normally a responsible and loving mother who is now terrified because her family has received multiple death threats. We need to show some understanding here.
Original post by Medstudentlondon.
lol typical racist. africans only started starving when europeans arrived on the scene.

we aren't reliant on you. quite the opposite. if you stopped your colonialist & racist ways the world would be better.

Indeed, because Europeans introduced farming methods leading to a massive population boom which couldn't be sustained when the white man left as these methods were not kept in use leading to starvation.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by FluxD

Calm down.

The problem is people who hate this country coming over and living here without making any effort to contribute, because of some odd sense that the British owe them something.

This guy is clearly not one of them
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by lumberjack77
What about the Muslims colonies of Europe?

THIS IS BEFORE WHITE COLONIES IN AFRICA ETC

Forget the colonies, what about the Muslim slave trade which began before the Trans-Atlantic slave trade, affected more people, was more brutal and still continues even today?
Original post by Sharri5
typical UK.

If it's so bad why don't you leave?

This is not to say you must leave, but if this country is such a bad place would you not be happier if you were to move to somewhere you would feel more at home?
Original post by PendulumBoB
Forget the colonies, what about the Muslim slave trade which began before the Trans-Atlantic slave trade, affected more people, was more brutal and still continues even today?

I don't think it can be called the Muslim slave trade when it was initiated and upheld by Arabs.
Original post by I Persia I
I don't think it can be called the Muslim slave trade when it was initiated and upheld by Arabs.

They're more than happy to claim the Islamic Golden Age as being such, despite the fact that some Muslim peoples seemed to be contributing far more than others (that and the fact that Jews also contributed and some of the acheivements were actually Indian anyway).

Yeah that's true, but I suppose if Islam wasn't so comfortable with the idea of slavery, it may have died out by now.
Reply 1370
Original post by frankieboy
True, but you conveniently missed out the fact that we made a lot of our money through exploitation of certain countries as well.

Some of our money was made fairly and squarely. But a fair amount of it was not.

Oh how easy it is to phrase these things in a certain way which places bias. You need to tell the whole story.

Example, your use of 'we' and 'our'. The same forces were in control and benefitting then as now.
They're more than happy to claim the Islamic Golden Age as being such, despite the fact that some Muslim peoples seemed to be contributing far more than others (that and the fact that Jews also contributed and some of the acheivements were actually Indian anyway).

Yeah that's true, but I suppose if Islam wasn't so comfortable with the idea of slavery, it may have died out by now.

Exactly, there is this fake idea of Pan-Islamism which has never occurred and hopefully, will never occur. The Islamic Golden age was just a name to show Islam in a positive light when all the discoveries and achievements had absolutely nothing to do with Islam anyway!

Islam doesn't prohibit slavery, I'm not sure if it encourages it though. :tongue:
Reply 1372
She is only saying what most people are thinking.
Original post by I Persia I

Islam doesn't prohibit slavery, I'm not sure if it encourages it though. :tongue:

If it even so much as allows it, it is a danger; humans have selfish desires, but they also have a sense of morality. If you believe a book which says that human understanding of right and wrong is worthless, as only God decides such things, you have a free pass to ignore you own sense of compassion, as the big guy says that acting in an inhumane way is ok, and you are nobody to disagree.
If it even so much as allows it, it is a danger; humans have selfish desires, but they also have a sense of morality. If you believe a book which says that human understanding of right and wrong is worthless, as only God decides such things, you have a free pass to ignore you own sense of compassion, as the big guy says that acting in an inhumane way is ok, and you are nobody to disagree.

I agree, that's the whole point. The usual answers I get from questioning Muslims about this is the Muhammad quote on equality between all races (which has nothing to do with the topic at hand) and the fact that those who initiated and upheld it were not Muslims, yet they're quick to boast about being the fastest breeding religion with a population of 1. whatever billion. If Muslims are people who adhere 100% to the religions teachings then there would be hardly any of them.

They don't see it like that which is pretty sad. Morality to them is provided by God and God only and humans have corrupted this morality by 'innovating' it (which is a negative word in Arabic) and is seen as heresy. Only God's law must be applied etc.
Reply 1375
This woman is disgusting and I think should be prosecuted- you can't just start to insult people out of the blue!
Original post by FluxD

My grandparents moved here as adults. You have no right to tell them they are/aren't British.
Reply 1377
My grandparents moved here as adults. You have no right to tell them they are/aren't British.

They might have served the country well and assimilated which is great, but they aren't British. I don't understand why this is such a shocking concept?

One of my grandparents was Irish, like yours he served in the war in the Yorkshire Rifles, after the war he built the motorways working as a navvy, he was treated with contempt for being Irish and eventually he died here.

But after this big sob story is my grandfather British? No, he was Irish speaking Gael and died Irish, even if his passport said something different.

(Although technically Ireland was still part of the United Kingdom when my grandfather was born but I am just trying to illustrate a point).
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by FluxD
They might have served the country well and assimilated which is great, but they aren't British. I don't understand why this is such a shocking concept?

One of my grandparents was Irish, like yours he served in the war in the Yorkshire Rifles, after the war he built the motorways working as a navvy, he was treated with contempt for being Irish and eventually he died here.

But after this big sob story is my grandfather British? No, he was Irish and died Irish.

(Although technically Ireland was still part of the United Kingdom when my grandfather was born but I am just trying to illustrate a point).

Who gave you the position of deciding who is or is not "British"?
Reply 1379
Who gave you the position of deciding who is or is not "British"?

The ability to logically rationalize reality.

How can anyone with an iota of a connection to Britain be considered British? Britishness isn't a globalized notion that anyone can buy into because they like crumpets, wear a top hat and monocle in their village in Botswana or move here for a year and get given a visa.

People might move here and do great things and they are welcome, but they are still not British.

If I move to Japan tomorrow, learn Japanese and work hard there for the rest of my life, I might have served Japan well but I will never be Japanese.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending