The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6620
Original post by Lumos
I have a couple of questions..
first, accommodation; in which years does st andrews provide accommodation/ is university-owned accommodation available? and what is it like, is there quite a range of quality?
secondly, how many additional courses (as well as the one you entered for) can you take in your first year? do they have to be in your faculty (e.g. humanities)?
And thirdly, does your major have to be the subject you entered for, or can you change it and graduate with a different degree if you change your mind?
thanks! :smile:

1) You can apply for university accommodation every year. From what I've been told anyway. But you're only guaranteed accommodation for 1st year, and only if you apply for it before May 31st.

2) It really depends on how many modules you need to take for your actually degree. But the extra modules can be from anywhere within the University. As long as it doesn't clash with any other lectures, you can choose anything. :smile:

3) You can change your degree, but you can only do that up until the end of 2nd/3rd year, not 100% sure which on it is. But generally, you ought to stick to roughly the same area, as a complete change (i.e. History to Theoretical Physics) is difficult and you have to prove a genuine reason why you want to swap.

Hope that helps. :smile:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 6621
Original post by Magma828
Wow, the school of physics is serious business.

Yeah. But I think the first one is just a warning. But do it again and it's a proper alert.

So yeah, you're best off doing to work... but in Physics you need to at least turn up to the tutorials and workshops. :tongue:

Or be me and turn up to every single little thing. :wink:
Original post by Helsy

3) You can change your degree, but you can only do that up until the end of 2nd/3rd year, not 100% sure which on it is.

By the end of 2nd year it is. By the end of 3rd year you're already halfway through your honours modules so it's too late to change.
Just wondering if the library facilities are good enough for student needs? (doing French-Spanish-Italian).
Reply 6624
Original post by Helsy
1) You can apply for university accommodation every year. From what I've been told anyway. But you're only guaranteed accommodation for 1st year, and only if you apply for it before May 31st.

2) It really depends on how many modules you need to take for your actually degree. But the extra modules can be from anywhere within the University. As long as it doesn't clash with any other lectures, you can choose anything. :smile:

3) You can change your degree, but you can only do that up until the end of 2nd/3rd year, not 100% sure which on it is. But generally, you ought to stick to roughly the same area, as a complete change (i.e. History to Theoretical Physics) is difficult and you have to prove a genuine reason why you want to swap.

Hope that helps. :smile:

great, thanks! I'd probably want to change from ancient history to history, so I shouldn't imagine that should be much of a problem!
Reply 6625
Original post by Ecosse_14
By the end of 2nd year it is. By the end of 3rd year you're already halfway through your honours modules so it's too late to change.

That's what I thought but I had end of year 3 in my head for some reason. That might be switching from Bachelors to Masters.... :tongue:
Original post by Helsy
Yeah. But I think the first one is just a warning. But do it again and it's a proper alert.

So yeah, you're best off doing to work... but in Physics you need to at least turn up to the tutorials and workshops. :tongue:

Or be me and turn up to every single little thing. :wink:

Things change in honours :p:
New to TSR and i have a few questions about St Andrews and the courses.
I guess i know the response im hoping for and im just looking for reassurance, i got AAAAA in highers : English, Maths, Human Biology, Physics and Chemistry and im now predicted AAAA in adv phyics, maths and chem and higher computing (bit optimistic tbh, but cant argue with the teachers)
just wondered what people thoughts were on the Applied Quant. Finance course run jointly by Maths and Econ departments, as ive applied for that - can you get an unconditional for it?
And, anyone applying for joint Maths and Econ?
Reply 6628
Original post by Meteorshower
Things change in honours :p:

Good!

Or are you trying to say they get even worse...? :wink:
What do students typically do during the weekends at St. Andrews?
Original post by Helsy
Good!

Or are you trying to say they get even worse...? :wink:

There's basically not a million things a week that you have to go to in order to tick some box somewhere.

If I told you things get harder otherwise, would you really be that surprised :p:
Original post by ubun7
I got in with AAAAB for Maths. My friend got rejected with AAABB! (all 1st sitting) so its pretty competitive. However, if your personal statement is strong then you always have a good chance!

Was that a conditional offer or an unconditional out of curiosity? I've applied for Maths and have 5 A's at higher. I've heard that they still reject some people who have 5 A's :s-smilie:. This true?
Reply 6632
I've applied to St Andrews but am still slghtly confused by the Scottish system. If I have a Scottish MA, ist that equivalent to Bachelors or Masters?
Reply 6633
Original post by laughylolly
Was that a conditional offer or an unconditional out of curiosity? I've applied for Maths and have 5 A's at higher. I've heard that they still reject some people who have 5 A's :s-smilie:. This true?

There's not much they can do when more people apply than they have places except rejecting people. Also, if someone with 'worse' grades (which are still within the entry requirements) submits a better application, why shouldn't they consider that person instead of the one with better grades?
Original post by Sappho
There's not much they can do when more people apply than they have places except rejecting people. Also, if someone with 'worse' grades (which are still within the entry requirements) submits a better application, why shouldn't they consider that person instead of the one with better grades?

I guess that's very true. I'm just hoping the rest of my application is good enough then! Thanks for the reply =)
Reply 6635
Original post by laughylolly
I guess that's very true. I'm just hoping the rest of my application is good enough then! Thanks for the reply =)

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 6636
Original post by CorinnaH
I've applied to St Andrews but am still slghtly confused by the Scottish system. If I have a Scottish MA, ist that equivalent to Bachelors or Masters?

The MA (Honours) is equivalent to the BA elsewhere in the UK and Europe.
Reply 6637
Original post by Sappho
The MA (Honours) is equivalent to the BA elsewhere in the UK and Europe.

Thanks! :smile: That's what I thought. But why does it take a year longer?
Reply 6638
Original post by CorinnaH
Thanks! :smile: That's what I thought. But why does it take a year longer?

Because you study things in more depth and more broadly. Remember than in your first two years you get the chance to study three subjects, that you can even change during these years.
Is the SA Maths department good? Also, with an A in GCSE Maths would that disadvantage me? (took it in year 10)

Latest

Trending

Trending