The Student Room Group

KPMG phone interview- Help?

I am thrilled that I've been offered a phone interview for KPMG Assurance. This will be my first grad scheme phone interview so anyone who can offer advice I'd be most grateful.
-what are they looking for?
-how long do you have?
-anyone have an example of a 'great' response?

Thanks
Reply 1
They ask about 10-15 questions, so what do you mean by a great response? Search the net, there's loads of stuff!
Reply 2
I get really really wound up by people coming on here and asking such BASIC questions about job interviews for firms that list ON THEIR WEBSITES the values they want their people to have.

Do some work on your own and stop being lazy.
Reply 3
Wow! Great response to someone new! I feel so welcome!

Ok, I'll defend myself. I thought it was rather obvious that I will have studied the website, the company, their particular compentencies and the field in general. I took that as a given. Who applies for a job and doesn't do the minimum research?

What I was seeking was the 'on the ground' information that you can only acquire anecdotally. Yes, I'm aware they will want me to demonstrate compentancy X, but how does the interviewer phrase the question about competency X? Is it generally a relaxed conversation or does the interview have an aggressive tone? Do those who have interviewed feel that there was an effort to 'catch them out' or to help them prove their value? Did anyone make a comment that they felt the interviewer really warmed to?

My first post was to correct misinformation about the Sainsburys scheme being full, so it's not as though I'm taking and not contributing. But terribly sorry to have offended. Will seek out more friendly corners of the interwebs.
Reply 4
Sorry but surely you can see the difference between

Original post by New start
=

-what are they looking for?
-how long do you have?
-anyone have an example of a 'great' response?

and

Original post by New start
. Yes, I'm aware they will want me to demonstrate compentancy X, but how does the interviewer phrase the question about competency X? Is it generally a relaxed conversation or does the interview have an aggressive tone? Do those who have interviewed feel that there was an effort to 'catch them out' or to help them prove their value? Did anyone make a comment that they felt the interviewer really warmed to?

I stand by the fact your first post was lazy, and if you'd done your "research", you'd see that questions like that frequently get asked on this forum, and get met with the same response. Ask a question that doesn't make you look like a lazy freeloader (your second post) and you're more likely to get a thoughtful response.
Reply 5
You've really got it for me haven't you? One of the most fascinating things about the Internet is the aggression that people feel is acceptable in response to the most benign situations.

I'll admit, the first post was made in haste and excitement and may have lacked the useful specifics but i think ignoring it might have been sufficient. I was hardly hurting anyone.

Have I trawled the last 3 years worth of student room threads? Nope, definitely not. Sorry, shoddy research.

I'm really just not the 'let's get angry' over a forum type. If you're looking for an argument, I can't help you.

Anyone who isn't looking for an argument, my interest in the details of the KPMG phone interview holds. If you'd like to help, great! If you'd like to me I'm a lazy freeloader, please move on.
Reply 6
I work for a small accountancy firm so can't really relate. Although I think with most phone interviews they are either looking for excellent charisma and good knowledge or excellent knowledge and good charisma.

Good luck anyway dude
Reply 7
Thanks Steezy. Do you enjoy the small firm? I would consider a small firm (I'd probably be happier there) but the starting salaries seem to be less than I'm making now; it would be difficult to take the pay cut.

I guess I'll focus on charisma in the interview because I don't think my knowledge qualifies as 'excellent'!
KPMG want decent concrete reasons why them over the other big 4; they want you to have really good reasons, refer to their awards etc; don't just say 'it's a people based company and the development is good'; you need to expand and explain why.

Also, have a decent reason why audit. The way they put it to me was 'if it's a reason that can relate to another division in the firm, then it's not a good reason'. You need to expand on it to make it a reason unique to that division.

KPMG also do situation questions that the other big 4 interviews haven't had; so they give you a situation and ask you what you would do; they're easy enough really; just don't say anything too stupid (like that you would miss a client meeting or something).

Apart from that everything else is the same old comps and strengths. Tell me about a time..., Do you enjoy... etc; just have some decent examples of when you've worked in a team, alone, to a common goal, in difficult circumstances etc and it's good to have a selection from academics, work experience, and extra-curriculars.
Reply 9
It's a very formulaic interview, basically just a box-ticking exercise - say the right things and you'll get through to the next round.
Reply 10
Thank you both, really appreciated. The warning about the need for specifics in the 'why KPMG' question and flagging the situational questions (would never have expected that in an interview) are great advice.

I don't have a date yet, just the 'you get an interview; we'll be in touch to set a date' email. I'm a very unusual candidate so I think I may be more worried than is reasonable. I was somewhat intimidated by the Big4 thing, fearing they would be quite aggressive. I appreciate the reassurance.

I'll report back.
Reply 11
They say it's 45 mins but mine lasted around 90. They probe deeper into your answers more than the other firms from experience. It's also with a manager from your division, not HR, so they expect you to be able to talk sensibly about your chosen service line.

I found it to be fine, and I'm not fantastic at interviews.
Original post by Gimothy
They say it's 45 mins but mine lasted around 90. They probe deeper into your answers more than the other firms from experience. It's also with a manager from your division, not HR, so they expect you to be able to talk sensibly about your chosen service line.

I found it to be fine, and I'm not fantastic at interviews.

Yeah mine was 55 minutes OP.

Also, mine was with HR, so don't presume it will be with someone from your service line.
Reply 13
Original post by Industrious Orca
Yeah mine was 55 minutes OP.

Also, mine was with HR, so don't presume it will be with someone from your service line.

Seems quite varied then! In that case, just prepare for all cases OP..
Reply 14
Hi,

I have used this site quite a bit with help for grad scheme applications so thought I would share some info on this topic. I just had my KPMG phone interview this morning for advisory.

The woman was really nice and helpful. I was told the interview would last 45 minutes but it ended up being a full hour as she explained the role I would be filling, as well as KPMG's growth plans and also questions that I asked her.

The questions were based around 4 topics:
Career Motivation
Awareness of Business
Resilience
Delivers Quality

There were also two SJT questions, one was similar to the one i've seen quite a bit, about showing a client a document before its had the check from other staff.
The other was if I had almost finished a heavy workload then was told to recap and add more throughout, how would I deal with it, and b) how would it make me feel?

The other competency questions were: time when I had overcome and obstacle to succeed.
Time when I had to change plans to complete a project.
Business that is doing well
Business that is doing bad
What issues they both face
How have I prepared for KPMG

I cant remember anymore apologies.

Hope this helps :smile:
I had a phone interview in July with KPMG. it lasted over 1 hour and I thought I was asked over 20 questions..

Callum offered a good insight of how this interview goes.

I just would like to advice you to prepare some current business news, as different from other firms which tend to ask you some business awareness at the partner interview, KPMG will expect you to talk about some current affairs at the 1st round phone interview..

I was asked to talk about a SPECIFIC UK company who is currently looking to expand in the market... Then I messed up and was impressed...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending