The Student Room Group

Is it possible to get high grades through hard work?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lrosex
No, Law and Politics. I'm doing maths, further maths, sociology, history and english lit.

My school made me sit maths gcse a year early and I got an A*, then I got an A in the FSMQ thing the year after so I just figured I'd find maths easier to get an A in than other subjects :').

You would make a good Mathematician. Shame.

PPE would be a better choice instead of Law and Politics.
Original post by chinaberry
Give or take 10 IQ points between you and the people on your course... you have to be pretty clever to do Maths at uni! Are you sure you're not being hard on yourself? :smile:

I disagree. A lot of Maths is logic and doing problems. I wake up and thinking about Maths, when I go to sleep I'm thinking about Maths which makes me good at Maths.

I was given an IQ test as a child and was below average besides my spatial reasoning and then I was average at that.

P.S. You don't really need to be clever to do Maths.
Original post by lspencerw
It's only possible to get good grades through hard work!

hmm, at A level? Really?

I found one or two exams incredibly blaggable.
Reply 23
A's and A*s are more than feasible with constant hard work, i've worked hard during my as year; and acheiced: 100, 96, 96, 91% in few of my exams. Now i'm predictes 2 A*s and 1 A. Largly thanks to workimg hard. Put in the work, and frankly, your grades will eventually reflect that.
Original post by madrid90
A's and A*s are more than feasible with constant hard work, i've worked hard during my as year; and acheiced: 100, 96, 96, 91% in few of my exams. Now i'm predictes 2 A*s and 1 A. Largly thanks to workimg hard. Put in the work, and frankly, your grades will eventually reflect that.

That's amazing, what did your work include? As in what did you do exactly? And also what subjects?
i bloody hope so! i'm trying my best atm, i'm not naturally clever either.
Gonna go against the grain a bit here

Hard Work and a Natural Inclination are going to get you great grades

One or the other can get you good grades

But Hard Work alone is not enough ... I could work all the time and I would not be successful in gaining an A* in a Language A'Level because I am not naturally gifted in this area ... similarly I have known people work really hard in both GCSE and A level Maths and not get the best grade
Original post by TenOfThem
But Hard Work alone is not enough ... I could work all the time and I would not be successful in gaining an A* in a Language A'Level because I am not naturally gifted in this area ... similarly I have known people work really hard in both GCSE and A level Maths and not get the best grade

I could probably tutor someone to get A's in Further Maths even if they failed GCSEs if they could do everything I asked of them.

Maths isn't hard.
Original post by Simplicity
I could probably tutor someone to get A's in Further Maths even if they failed GCSEs if they could do everything I asked of them.

If you say so :biggrin:
Maybe depends on the exam, but I'd say yes for all the exams I've come across
Sort of.

imo, hard work plays a 90% role in getting high grades, the other 10% is natural ability

I weren't great at English Language/Lit at GCSE despite me working so hard for it, I only managed to get an A. That's great but it's not the top grade is it?

Similarly, there is a chinese girl in my class. She is really intelligent in chemistry and maths (full ums in AS Maths) She didn't revise for mock exam for maths yet she achieved 96 ums for the mock exam. For chemistry, she didn't revise but she got the highest grade in the class with a high C.

unfortunately, natural ability does play a part, a bigger part in some
Reply 31
Yes. :yep:

The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.
Hard work is the only way to achieve high grades
Original post by Brevillemonkey
Hard work is the only way to achieve high grades

Hard work is the only way to achieve desired results :smile: (whatever it may be) :biggrin:
Reply 34
Original post by pink pineapple
I want to get really good grades at A-level. I'm really determined to do well and passionate about my subjects but the thing is I just don't feel naturally clever and without that I could never do well. I get fairly average marks at the minute. But through hard work, is it possible to get the top grades? I just feel like I can never get them because I'm not smart enough, no matter how hard I try :frown:

I'm exactly the same as you i love my subjects but they don't come naturally to me, but I worked my butt off for my june exams last year and came out with AAB (would have been AAA but i had really difficult family/emotional issues in the space of my second to last and my last exam) so it's definitely possible, you just need a good revision/learning technique and the motivation and passion which you clearly have.
Reply 35
Original post by Simplicity
You would make a good Mathematician. Shame.

PPE would be a better choice instead of Law and Politics.

Hmm that did cross my mind but I don't do philosophy at A level so I'm sure at Uni I won't know most of the terms or anything. The same with economics. I thought of Economics at A level but I didn't want my subjects to be too maths based :/. I'm more interested in a career with law rather than politics too. It's really annoying being me since I'm better at things I don't really care about. Especially having a really enthusiastic maths teacher who tries to teach us some things at university level so we find the A level easier -.-
Reply 36
Of course. You don't need to be intelligent to do well. It's a bonus, but any hard working person can do well.
Reply 37
All A Levels actually measure are hard work, memory and exam technique. Natural intelligence hardly comes into play.
For some people, no. This is just speaking from personal experience. But give it your best shot anyway hoping to do well and know that you tried no matter what :smile:

Original post by ilyking
I know someone who stayed behind at college till 630 every day doing work/ cleaning notes and he had something like DEEEU

I dunno why people have to neg you cos tbh, a similar thing happened to me as well. Me + A Levels = disaster :frown:
It's very possible.

In my GCSE's, I was only half-arsed and got a couple of A's and the rest B's.

Now, half way into my AS, I'm getting A's and sometimes 90%'s because I'm putting in the effort I refused to put in at GCSE.

Quick Reply

Latest