The Student Room Group

The Classics Society Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aesc
Propaganda is interesting to study, yeah, but I don't want to read it myself... As an actual "book", Aeneid to me was too meh. I could study the propaganda etc without reading it, quite happily, just from history books or literary criticism etc, but with the Iliad I'd feel I was really missing out if I didn't go straight to the text.

If you get a chance, probably post-interview, have a look at Memorial by Alice Oswald. She basically just takes out of the Iliad all the names of the people who die, some of the passages around that (telling about their lives or about how they were violently torn apart) and some similies. It's a good way in to thinking about what the Iliad does (although I can't quite articulate what it's made me think yet...)

Thanks for the recommendation :yy: I'll check it out when I have time/money. Currently looking at buying some PIE books though :beard:

EDIT: just added it to my amazon wishlist :sexface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1081
Original post by medbh4805
Yeah, I think it has the potential to be really great, or depending on the tutor really, really difficult :erm:

T'was both :smile: I thought that's why people apply to Oxford.
Original post by Sappho
T'was both :smile: I thought that's why people apply to Oxford.

It is

doesn't take the fear away though :afraid:
Reply 1083
It is

doesn't take the fear away though :afraid:

Calm down, my fellow. The excitement is an interesting experience on its own, but it does in no way help your application. Trust me. It just means that you stop thinking straight, and that's pretty much what you should do to get through the process. Sigh, I feel so old saying these things.
Original post by Sappho
Uhm. so 10am is early morning? :tongue:

Duh! I did have a 9am once, but that was a different course.

Wait, how the **** do you know the first year timetable for Manchester?!?

Edit: ooh, right. I need sleep.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Aemiliana
Duh! I did have a 9am once, but that was a different course.

Wait, how the **** do you know the first year timetable for Manchester?!?

I have had 9am classics lectures before and they were 2 hours long on (worst of all) on a Friday morning. That was all of last year :frown:
Thanks for the recommendation :yy: I'll check it out when I have time/money. Currently looking at buying some PIE books though :beard:

EDIT: just added it to my amazon wishlist :sexface:

PIE is interesting, we don't teach it very well to the undergrads here at Oxford though. Just a basic over view of Greek and Latin from a developmental standpoint and then we compare them to each other. Though I think there are lectures on various isoglosses and languages next term.

If you're interested in PIE you need to a) Get the Fortsan book but ignore the cultural aspects he lists and b) learn Sanskrit.

How well can you read old Irish, incidentally?
Original post by The Lyceum
PIE is interesting, we don't teach it very well to the undergrads here at Oxford though. Just a basic over view of Greek and Latin from a developmental standpoint and then we compare them to each other. Though I think there are lectures on various isoglosses and languages next term.

If you're interested in PIE you need to a) Get the Fortsan book but ignore the cultural aspects he lists and b) learn Sanskrit.

How well can you read old Irish, incidentally?

:beard: I'd like to learn Sanskrit at some point

Not very well, to be honest. I managed to get through the middle Irish Táin Cúailnge with heavy use of a lexicon - the vocabulary used is so different from what I'm familiar with from modern Irish. I have been looking at investing in some Old Irish textbooks, but as with everything it's finding the time and the money to actually do these things :colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
:beard: I'd like to learn Sanskrit at some point

Not very well, to be honest. I managed to get through the middle Irish Táin Cúailnge with heavy use of a glossary - the vocabulary used is so different from what I'm familiar with from modern Irish. I have been looking at investing in some Old Irish textbooks, but as with everything it's finding the time and the money to actually do these things :colondollar:

Oh totally yes time is a problem which is why I never got on very far with my Irish studies. To be fair though out of the "Celtic" grouping I'm much more interested in Middle Welsh since and even then the Germanic and Celtic groups are of little to no interest to me since they're not overly useful from a PIE viewpoint due to a manner of reasons. Much better off with Hittite tbh.

The oriental department here offers two or three different Sanskrit courses, in general though the major one they offer is nicknamed "suicide" by the Classicists here who venture to take it, apparently. Much better off self teaching I think.

Obviously it's much more important to master Latin and Greek down well. Especially since most of the PIE stuff written is utter tosh..

Anyway good luck on your interviews, all of you. And if I was to give one piece of advice it would be read things you're interested in reading; it doesn't have to be the Aeneid or the Iliad, though these texts are important providing you've read a decent amount it doesn't matter too much. Sometimes a smattering of Horace or Archilokhos adds a nice variety.

Good luck.
Original post by The Lyceum
Oh totally yes time is a problem which is why I never got on very far with my Irish studies. To be fair though out of the "Celtic" grouping I'm much more interested in Middle Welsh since and even then the Germanic and Celtic groups are of little to no interest to me since they're not overly useful from a PIE viewpoint due to a manner of reasons. Much better off with Hittite tbh.

The oriental department here offers two or three different Sanskrit courses, in general though the major one they offer is nicknamed "suicide" by the Classicists here who venture to take it, apparently. Much better off self teaching I think.

Obviously it's much more important to master Latin and Greek down well. Especially since most of the PIE stuff written is utter tosh..

Anyway good luck on your interviews, all of you. And if I was to give one piece of advice it would be read things you're interested in reading; it doesn't have to be the Aeneid or the Iliad, though these texts are important providing you've read a decent amount it doesn't matter too much. Sometimes a smattering of Horace or Archilokhos adds a nice variety.

Good luck.

Well obviously being an Irish speaker myself the study of Irish philology means more to me than just its utility for PIE :u: But I get where you're coming from, self teaching you can work at your own pace and set your own goals :colonhash:

thanks for the advice :smile:
Well obviously being an Irish speaker myself the study of Irish philology means more to me than just its utility for PIE :u: But I get where you're coming from, self teaching you can work at your own pace and set your own goals :colonhash:

thanks for the advice :smile:

It's cool that you're an Irish speaker. You should look at the work of Michael Clarke regarding comparative studies of Irish and Greek epic. Personally I think its all rather asinine when it comes down to it but there are actual moments of interest.

Actually if you go here: http://www.classics.cam.ac.uk/faculty/seminars_conferences/corbett_lecture/

you can find a brief lecture, skip the boring opening where old people talk for no discernible reason if you like. :smile:
Original post by Sappho
Uhm. so 10am is early morning? :tongue:

I say 10am...think that's my Theology module. Don't have anything Classics related before midday ever :P
Hi

I have an interview early next week for Classics IIb at Oxford. Anybody got any thoughts on how the interviews are structured and what sort of questions might be asked. I am new to TSR, so maybe this has already been answered (where?). Any facts, ideas, advice etc would be VERY welcome. I finished school in the summer and they don't know much about Oxford anyway, so I'm a bit in the dark.

thank you, thank you, thank you :biggrin::smile::redface:
Original post by JLD93
Hi all. I've applied for Ancient History for 2012.. Wondering if anyone goes to Liverpool/Manchester as these are my top two choices and I'm not sure which one I like more? Has anyone got an opinion on which one would be better? My key interest is the late Roman Republic. X

The Manchester department is really good, and Tim Parkin is widely liked there, though there tends to be more emphasis on the Empire as opposed to the Republic, which is my personal opinion of course and I could be wrong, perhaps a look at this link may help http://courses.humanities.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/modulelist.html?department=33

I'm not too sure about Liverpool's department but what I will say is that they are far superior on Roman Archaeology than Manchester, and the last Roman Archaeologist at Manchester is retiring at the end of this Academic year, although he only teaches about Roman Archaeology in Britannia. The Liverpool department also run a few excavations that deal with Roman Archaeology whilst Manchester do not. Dave woolliscroft at Liverpool runs the Roman Gask Project in Scotland, which looks at several Roman forts up there. I'm not sure if students of Ancient History at liverpool go onto excavations but I thought i'd mention this as I feel that study of the archaeology of the period concerned, as opposed to relying on literature can only be a plus, and the fact they hold such excavations may tickle your fancy (I myself have spoken to Dave about this as I really want to go onto that particular excavation)

The only thing I hate about Classics at Manchester is the fact that the little dinky room they have in the department is pretty puny in comparison to the other departmental libraries, for example the departmental library for Archaeology is awesome. The main library, John Rylands, is brilliant and is bigger than Liverpool's and holds more resources and materials, that said, the computers are ALWAYS taken by midday which is rather annoying.

I hope I've helped.
Original post by Tragic Flaw
Hi

I have an interview early next week for Classics IIb at Oxford. Anybody got any thoughts on how the interviews are structured and what sort of questions might be asked. I am new to TSR, so maybe this has already been answered (where?). Any facts, ideas, advice etc would be VERY welcome. I finished school in the summer and they don't know much about Oxford anyway, so I'm a bit in the dark.

good luck!!! which college??
Original post by Aesc
Hello! How's your application going?

It's going okay thanks, offers from Liverpool, Newc and Leeds but no word from Durham - really hoping for an offer from there! Where have you applied? :smile:
Original post by Tragic Flaw
Hi

Have a few friends on that course, will poke them and see what they say.
Reply 1097
Original post by Nox Aeterna
The Manchester department is really good, and Tim Parkin is widely liked there, though there tends to be more emphasis on the Empire as opposed to the Republic, which is my personal opinion of course and I could be wrong, perhaps a look at this link may help http://courses.humanities.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/modulelist.html?department=33

I'm not too sure about Liverpool's department but what I will say is that they are far superior on Roman Archaeology than Manchester, and the last Roman Archaeologist at Manchester is retiring at the end of this Academic year, although he only teaches about Roman Archaeology in Britannia. The Liverpool department also run a few excavations that deal with Roman Archaeology whilst Manchester do not. Dave woolliscroft at Liverpool runs the Roman Gask Project in Scotland, which looks at several Roman forts up there. I'm not sure if students of Ancient History at liverpool go onto excavations but I thought i'd mention this as I feel that study of the archaeology of the period concerned, as opposed to relying on literature can only be a plus, and the fact they hold such excavations may tickle your fancy (I myself have spoken to Dave about this as I really want to go onto that particular excavation)

The only thing I hate about Classics at Manchester is the fact that the little dinky room they have in the department is pretty puny in comparison to the other departmental libraries, for example the departmental library for Archaeology is awesome. The main library, John Rylands, is brilliant and is bigger than Liverpool's and holds more resources and materials, that said, the computers are ALWAYS taken by midday which is rather annoying.

I hope I've helped.

That's cracking.. thanks. Yeah I'm really interested in archaeology too, my brother's an archaeologist and he's obsessed and it kinda rubs off.

I'm in a right pickle about which to choose, both of them seem to have their pros/cons and I can't see which outweighs the other yet! Think I'm gonna have to have a good look around both and just go with whichever I like the best.
Reply 1098
Original post by harrosop
It's going okay thanks, offers from Liverpool, Newc and Leeds but no word from Durham - really hoping for an offer from there! Where have you applied? :smile:

Haven't heard from Durham either, they're taking their time! Got offers from Glasgow, Nottingham and (Class Civ) Warwick, then a Cambridge interview next week :s-smilie:
Original post by Aesc
Haven't heard from Durham either, they're taking their time! Got offers from Glasgow, Nottingham and (Class Civ) Warwick, then a Cambridge interview next week :s-smilie:

So annoying :/ Ah very nice, well done! I've got one at Oxford next week too - very nervous! :eek: Good luck with yours :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending