The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9740
Original post by CraigKirk
Yeah, my application changed quite a lot. I came to realise that my main problem first time around was too much emphasis on the academic side of medicine in my personal statement. I think that prevented me from getting interviews at Keele and Nottingham last year. To improve that this year, I vastly increased focus on the doctor-patient relationship and seeming like I want to do medicine so that I can basically help people and because I appreciate the rewards of it. My personal statement is, in my opinion, about ten times better mostly due to restructuring and better choice of content. Obviously, I added gap year plans too, including more work experience, a second job in teaching, fundraising and extra AS levels.

Given that, I still think having obtained the grades does make a profound difference to your application because almost every applicant has the grades required and many have much better than the grades required in their predictions, which not all of them meet. Basically, having the grades already means there's no doubt in them that I have the ability and the study skills.

Similarly, simply being a reapplicant is a great factor, because they can be confident that you do really want to do medicine; you didn't just go for the fifth choice because you wanted to go to university or because it would be inconvenient to try again in three years' time, especially given that grad. entry is even more competitive. You've shown a huge dedication by giving an extra year of your life to getting that place - perhaps even more so for 2012 reapplicants as they still want to pursue medicine despite the tuition fee rises.

My UKCAT went up from 635 average to 682.5 average this year, mainly due to putting more time into it as last year I had summer schools and work over the summer etc. holding me back. My best hint is do every last mock UKCAT you can find (I used three books, the Pearson VUE official tests and two Kaplan tests given to me by a friend who attended the course as well as various internet resources).

The only place I have applied to again is Nottingham University, because I really love the course there mainly (two degrees at once - I would intercalate wherever I go, I think, but Nottingham saves time). My other three choices of 2011 entry: Cambridge, Birmingham and Keele, are not in my application this year. This is basically because I decided to play more closely to my strengths. There isn't really an order of preference this year, because I really just want to get into medicine after last year's catastrophe.

Any more questions? :smile:

Which is your first choice uni?
Original post by oldbatty

Original post by oldbatty
Which is your first choice uni?

It was Nottingham, but really I just want a place now. I'm convinced I'll love it wherever I go and intercalating (because I am interested in academic medicine) can be done wherever and it'd only be one extra year elsewhere, which among about 15 years to become a consultant isn't a great deal. If I were lucky enough to get four offers then I would have a difficult time making my choice.
Reply 9742
Original post by laurie:)
i have 5 lessons of 1 hour each week, so i guess your lessons are more crammed in?

edit: for each subject obv.

Yeah I guess, usually the teacher explains stuff for about an hour then we have the rest of the time to do hw
Reply 9743
How are people finding exam revision going, I personally do not find enough time to revise for the exams with the interview prep to do, anybody got any tips on how I could maybe manage my time more, and any tips on interviews would be appreciated.:smile:
Hey dunno if anyone knows the answer to this but im currently doing radiography and heard that you can do medicine after it as long as you've got a 1st or a 1-2.

However i didnt do chem at a level. Is it still possible???
Original post by Rand
I have a total of ten subjects. We have cumpulsory subjects, which are English, Dutch, Maths and PE. For Maths we have A (which is sort of the easy maths) and B (a lot harder, the one I take lol), we also have C, which is for the people who are pretty bad at maths and who won't need it in their further studies anyway and we have maths D, which is very very advanced and which you require if you want to go to the Technical Uni's here in Holland.

In addition to that, I take Latin, Greek, French, English A2, Chemistry, Biology, Physics :smile:

But all students are also required to take General Sciences, Social Studies and either Classical Cultural Forming (if you take Latin/Greek) or Cultural Arts Forming. These subjects are only taken in one year and examined in the same year.

Most students in Holland, who do VWO (so the highest level of secondary education) have about 7/8 subjects.

Ten subjects! I can't even imagine that. And all those languages, I would get so so confused :p:

So how much depth do you go into with your subjects? Like, what topics do you do in Bio and Chem? I just can't even imagine it being possible having to balance ten subjects with the same depth as A Level :eek:

Would you prefer the VWO system or A Levels?
i have yet to find an advent calendar :frown:
i have yet to find an advent calendar :frown:

How come? Loads of shops have them? Get one halfway through advent so you can have 2 chocs a day! :smile:
Original post by Parle à ma main
How come? Loads of shops have them? Get one halfway through advent so you can have 2 chocs a day! :smile:

no shops near me seem to stock them - i went to the big sainsburies in town and they dont have any, and none of the newsagents near me have any either :redface:
no shops near me seem to stock them - i went to the big sainsburies in town and they dont have any, and none of the newsagents near me have any either :redface:

Sainsburies dont have them?! What's wrong with them?

I know that Thorntons and Wilkinsons have them, if that helps. And Poundland but I'm not sure how good they'd taste. :p:
Sainsburies dont have them?! What's wrong with them?

I know that Thorntons and Wilkinsons have them, if that helps. And Poundland but I'm not sure how good they'd taste. :p:

i know right??? i thought for sure they'd have them!!

i don't have a wlikinsons or a thorntons near me, so i may have to risk poundland :tongue:
Reply 9751
Ten subjects! I can't even imagine that. And all those languages, I would get so so confused :p:

So how much depth do you go into with your subjects? Like, what topics do you do in Bio and Chem? I just can't even imagine it being possible having to balance ten subjects with the same depth as A Level :eek:

Would you prefer the VWO system or A Levels?

VWO is equivalent to A-levels, so pretty tough! Up-side is that the topics which we are taught in Chemistry usually come back in Biology with more depth and vice versa. Same thing really with Latin/Greek, the grammar is essentially the same, and therefore French is also relatively easy. Dutch is a bitch, but English is ok :biggrin: Maths is fine as well and Physics is pretty tough, but I manage!
I think I would prefer VWO-system, because I wouldn't be able to pick only 4 subjects :O During my school career I've already dropped Geography, History, German and Economics haha.

Any superdurgs I've seen always seem to have loadssssss and nice and cheap too :smile: I got a nice disney princess one :biggrin: haha
i know right??? i thought for sure they'd have them!!

i don't have a wlikinsons or a thorntons near me, so i may have to risk poundland :tongue:

Awww no, but advent calenders have to be special :frown:
Original post by Rand
VWO is equivalent to A-levels, so pretty tough! Up-side is that the topics which we are taught in Chemistry usually come back in Biology with more depth and vice versa. Same thing really with Latin/Greek, the grammar is essentially the same, and therefore French is also relatively easy. Dutch is a bitch, but English is ok :biggrin: Maths is fine as well and Physics is pretty tough, but I manage!
I think I would prefer VWO-system, because I wouldn't be able to pick only 4 subjects :O During my school career I've already dropped Geography, History, German and Economics haha.

Yeah, the overlap must help. Bio and chem for us hardly ever overlap. In fact the different Biology topics in themselves barely overlap, it's so ridiclous. :p: First quarter of A Level Bio was human biology, then we jumped to plants and fish, this topic is about ecology, and then we're going back to human biology. How does that make sense, syllabus-deciders? :p:

I've heard that greek/latin grammar is a bitch, I can hardly deal with french... I still don't really know what the point of the subjunctive is :ahee:

What's dutch like? Is it dutch literature or is it about grammar?

Did you never do art/music at school? Although to be honest, I hated both :p:

Yeah, the overlap must help. Bio and chem for us hardly ever overlap. In fact the different Biology topics in themselves barely overlap, it's so ridiclous. :p: First quarter of A Level Bio was human biology, then we jumped to plants and fish, this topic is about ecology, and then we're going back to human biology. How does that make sense, syllabus-deciders? :p:

I've heard that greek/latin grammar is a bitch, I can hardly deal with french... I still don't really know what the point of the subjunctive is :ahee:

Sounds familiar! Must be AQA... I hated the unit you're currently doing! BLERGH.
Reply 9756

Dutch is a mixture of literature, text comprehension and being able to summarize a text in less than 10% of the original amount of words. By far my worst subject, lol. And in exams, they subtract 0.1/10 point of your final grade for every spelling/grammar mistake :O.

Greek/Latin grammar is indeed a bitch, but it's really much easier once you get to translation because it's all in context, you know? I find Greek easier, because we're reading Homerus' Odyssee and the word sequence is comparable to the Dutch one. Latin, on the other hand is far worse, because we're reading Livius, who was a historian and he uses endless sentences and complex structures and there is no word sequence :frown:

We had drama/art/music during the first two years and in the third year you could opt for one or none, then in fourth year we didn't have any of them, and for the final two years you could choose either art/music. I didn't, because I'm not really creative lol :ahee: Every school differs in this aspect though.

By the way, what unis did you apply to?
Reply 9757
Hopeful as ever. :ahee:
Original post by CraigKirk
Sounds familiar! Must be AQA... I hated the unit you're currently doing! BLERGH.

It is AQA. The only good thing about their papers is the low grade boundaries. :p:

I hated it to start with but I actually kind of like some of it now :colondollar: The genetics/biochem stuff of it is good once you get your head round it, and the environment/farming stuff brings out the hippy in me. :colondollar: Unit 5 looks really good though.

Chemistry on the other hand... :colonhash:
Awww no, but advent calenders have to be special :frown:

yeahhh, i really want the lego one, where you get a piece of lego behind each door! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending