The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Big up to ma don rahul.s who is at his trinity interview right now! Zoop zoop!

haters giving negs :colone: cool. RIP :colone:
(edited 12 years ago)
Did all churchill people have interviews/test at the same time? I'd love to know what the test involved...
Original post by Extricated
Big up to ma don rahul.s who is at his trinity interview right now! Zoop zoop!

I called him while he was in the common room. :colone:
Original post by ben-smith
Did all churchill people have interviews/test at the same time? I'd love to know what the test involved...

Test was the same time for everyone, interview was next day, someone had it at 9:30 whilst another person had it at 5:45

And I dont think we're allowed to do that on TSR until the interview period is over, even if we were allowed, I wouldn't tell anyway (no offence)
Original post by desijut
I wouldn't tell anyway (no offence)

Don't worry, I'm just curious :colondollar:
Original post by Xero Xenith
Has anyone ever heard of a statistics question being asked at interview? I mean in general, not this year - I hear many people getting Pure and sometimes Mechanics but never heard of a Stats question!

I'm considering putting some effort into revising S2 (normal distribution, hypothesis testing, continuous random variables) but I do have other things to do... not sure if I should :s-smilie:

Stats <3

:smile:
Original post by laughylolly
Stats &lt;3

You mentalist! I bet you love Decision too :tongue:

Stats and Decision are the two banes of my mathematical existence. I can get an A* without it, so I'm going to spend my D1 exam drawing pictures of llamas wearing a variety of hats. No joke. :colondollar:

Stats and Decision are the two banes of my mathematical existence. I can get an A* without it, so I'm going to spend my D1 exam drawing pictures of llamas wearing a variety of hats. No joke. :colondollar:

I actually do Advanced highers not A-levels so no decision for me (well not exactly). We have AH (Pure) Maths, AH Applied Maths: Stats and AH applied maths: mechanics. I take AH Maths and AH Stats. So basically a separate A-level sorta thing in Stats. I heard from so many people that it would be so boring but I love it. Except hypothesis testing is a bit meh.

Same. There's a girl in the lower 6th who just loves Decision, have no idea what's wrong with her :wink: She even asked my maths teacher in an excited way 'is there a D3!?!?' :tongue:
Stats <3

I agree :smile:

Statistics at A Levels is interesting in some cases and overall it's okay but the theorems and proofs later on (such as the Law of Large Numbers) are so fundamental and applicable in the world that it really hypes me up about the course in university.

And sorry about your rejection from Oxford :frown: Good luck on your other choices!
Original post by Reminisce
I agree :smile:

Statistics at A Levels is interesting in some cases and overall it's okay but the theorems and proofs later on (such as the Law of Large Numbers) are so fundamental and applicable in the world that it really hypes me up about the course in university.

And sorry about your rejection from Oxford :frown: Good luck on your other choices!

We haven't done anything like that yet. AH Stats covers a lot of weird things. Our teachers have said that some of the things we learn aren't taught till like 3rd year at Scottish unis "/

And it's okay =) I wasn't too bothered, obviously wasn't meant to be. I knew I didn't do great on the MAT and I think it must have been that. I wouldn't have received offers from Warwick and Bath if my grades/PS/reference had problems so (well you would think so). I just hope I get an offer from Durham now!

P.s. (to everyone) Don't forgot to add yourself to the Mathematics Applicants 2012 stalking page if you already haven't!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TheJ0ker
Yes I did, and I feel pretty much exactly the same about the interview! It only felt like 5 mins, it would have been better if it were twice as long.

Original post by desijut
At least other people feel the same thing, which comforts me tbh. And oh you did :O, did you stay in the lounge are after the test? If so, we have seen and talked to each other irl

Yeah I was at Churchill too & did the test and that, what do you guys think you got out of 20? Think I did better on the test than interview..
Original post by anil10100
Yeah I was at Churchill too & did the test and that, what do you guys think you got out of 20? Think I did better on the test than interview..

Max i can get is 13, but around 10 to accomodate for 2 mistakes.

Thinking of it in that aspect, my test didnt go so well :s-smilie: ffs not enough time!!!

What time was your interview? Mine was at 3. Did you stay over?

Also, how many questions did they ask you?
All this chat of stats is making me jealous, I find most of what I know about stats interesting but the Scottish courses are so pure (unless you get to do AH Applied Maths like laughylolly, which my school doesn't offer), so I know hardly any :frown:

That said, pure maths is awesome anyway :P
Original post by anil10100

opposite way round for me ...
Original post by derangedyoshi
All this chat of stats is making me jealous, I find most of what I know about stats interesting but the Scottish courses are so pure (unless you get to do AH Applied Maths like laughylolly, which my school doesn't offer), so I know hardly any :frown:

That said, pure maths is awesome anyway :P

Only 200 and something people in Scotland take AH Applied Maths. Out of which I think >50 take AH Stats. Not a very popular course. Only three people in my school do it! Quite a lot more people take mechanics.
Can any of you keen Maths people recommend some good Maths books for me to read?
Im getting Fermat's last theoreom. I dont want it too complex however. Thank you
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
Can any of you keen Maths people recommend some good Maths books for me to read?
Im getting Fermat's last theoreom. I dont want it too complex however. Thank you

Depends entirely on what you're looking for in a Maths book! There will be some people here who could give better suggestions than me though as my breadth of mathematical reading isn't relatively large.
Only 200 and something people in Scotland take AH Applied Maths. Out of which I think &gt;50 take AH Stats. Not a very popular course. Only three people in my school do it! Quite a lot more people take mechanics.

Didn't realise it was quite that low a number! Although I suppose people look horrified enough when I tell them I'm doing AH maths, never mind doing applied maths as well :P

Fermat's Last Theorem is great, it's such a compelling story. I've been revising it because I put it on my personal statement :P some others: Taming the Infinite; A Very Short Introduction to Mathematics; Finding Moonshine; etc.

If you like the style of Simon Singh then anything by Marcus Du Sautoy is good. If you want something a bit more "mathsy" but not too difficult have a look at Martin Liebeck's "A Concise Introduction to Pure Mathematics". Currently part way through and it's pretty damn good.

Latest