The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

School is such a nice place when the kids aren't here, I think we should ban them from coming in.

Bit annoyed that I'm stuck in the staffroom working as the MFL block is locked and I couldn't find the site manager earlier, so I'm forced to make small talk with whoever comes in- I just wanted to hide for the day :frown: Already spoken to someone I'm 99% sure I've never met like I've known her ages :/
Reply 661
Isn't it a bit off that kids don't go in but teachers do? It's the teachers that are striking, not the children!! I suppose it depends on how many members of staff want to strike, but still.

For the people who quoted me, it was a small 3-day placement at a 'diverse' school focusing on EAL and there were 6 of us going. We were all told that the school would be closed and the university anticipated most schools would be closed and so gave us some 'homework' to make up for it. It really would not have been useful to go in if the school was open only to some staff considering we would have no planning or anything to do and we were purely there to observe supporting the children.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jenren22
Isn't it a bit off that kids don't go in but teachers do? It's the teachers that are striking, not the children!! I suppose it depends on how many members of staff want to strike, but still.

For the people who quoted me, it was a small 3-day placement at a 'diverse' school focusing on EAL and there were 6 of us going. We were all told that the school would be closed and the university anticipated most schools would be closed and so gave us some 'homework' to make up for it. It really would not have been useful to go in if the school was open only to some staff considering we would have no planning or anything to do and we were purely there to observe supporting the children.

The staff who don't want to strike have to be in work for the day or they don't get paid, makes good sense to me. The teachers at my school who are in are actually saying how useful it is to have a day to get stuff done... but there are nowhere near enough members of staff in to make opening the school to students viable from a health and safety point of view.
(edited 10 years ago)
In advance of my meeting with my STCC today, I made sure everything from my first placement was done. All the tasks completed and reports written, my QTS record updated to include things from this placement, a contextual analysis on the school written and a few other things. He didn't even ask to see it!!! A couple in the group were relieved as they hadn't finished everything, but the rest of us are a bit annoyed. One lad stayed up all night last night to finish everything on time, so he was especially frustrated. :redface:

Don't get me wrong. An STCC who was always jumping down your throat for things would be worse, but I just wish he would act on the deadlines he sets. :/

Instead, we had a session on using an IWB. That was useful, but my school doesn't have any sort of IWB - they just have a regular old whiteboard. We also had a two hour PE class, which was surprisingly good fun and we didn't stop moving during that time, so I can feel virtuous for the rest of the day lol. But, I can't help but think the priorities are wrong. 2 hours of PE [which we already have lessons for at university] or assessing/discussing all the stuff we had to do for our placement? :/
First placement done and dusted. Although I feel like I have learnt SO much, I feel like it's a drop in the ocean!
Reply 666
Well what a week I've had. On Thursday I did my first serial day for my second block placement with the same school as my first. After school got told I had to move schools (can't tell details ofc but nothing to do with me) and within an hour my uni found me a new placement (all this happened between 4pm and 5:30pm that night) and I went there yesterday. So different I feel a bit unsettled. Tiny village school, gone from a big Y3 class to a small FS/Y1 and Y2 class, so much I need to sort out but yesterday just felt so overwhelmed with being in a new place, new faces etc.

Have to rethink my entire research project as it's on self assessment and I don't think I'll see a great deal of that. There is however a lot of differentiation so I should maybe think about doing something on that. Y2 pupils having their maths lesson whilst Reception/Y1 playing for example. On the plus side the headteacher seems really supportive and she also partly teaches the class being such a small school so I've always got her there for support. I'm not even sure the last headteacher knew my name!

So yea I feel a bit unsettled at the moment being moved around but I'll settle in. Got monday/tuesday for my next serial days and those are the only two days I have to work out what I'll be teaching so I can get my medium term plans done before xmas, and even so I don't know if I'll get to know soon as the other teacher is on long term sick, oh joy...Mentor will probably have to change as well, even more new faces !
(edited 12 years ago)
Only two weeks until Christmas!! I'm having four formal observations this week as I have completely forgot to ask for them the last few weeks, I have four groups so a formal observation with each one. Going to get two out of the way tomorrow.
Original post by *Sparkle*
Only two weeks until Christmas!! I'm having four formal observations this week as I have completely forgot to ask for them the last few weeks, I have four groups so a formal observation with each one. Going to get two out of the way tomorrow.

Good luck!

We've got so much to do before Christmas, can't wait to get it all done! I'm moving house on 28th December, I must be mad. Two massive and stressful life events during my PGCE year, getting married and moving house! What next!
Reply 669
Where on earth has the time gone?! I can almost taste Christmas! Only 3 days left until it's effectively the end of term, as we're having mince pies and mulled wine while watching It's a Wonderful Life back at uni on Friday.

Before that, I have an audit of my progress (including formal observation) conducted by somebody from the uni I've never met. He's coming in to see me teach Year 8 on Wednesday last period - bloody typical.
Original post by Rainy
Where on earth has the time gone?! I can almost taste Christmas! Only 3 days left until it's effectively the end of term, as we're having mince pies and mulled wine while watching It's a Wonderful Life back at uni on Friday.

Before that, I have an audit of my progress (including formal observation) conducted by somebody from the uni I've never met. He's coming in to see me teach Year 8 on Wednesday last period - bloody typical.

Jealous. Got 9 days left in school/uni - we finish late afternoon/early evening on Dec 16th [after the actual end of the Durham uni term]. :redface:

Think I have picked my topic for literacy with my yr2/3/4s. I am doing stories from other cultures and I've decided to focus on India. I was tempted to do Egypt, to tie into my history theme, but I think India will be better. I'm going to link in my PE lessons as well - we are going to learn some Bollywood dancing moves. :biggrin:
I read first few posts of this and was like "OMG what have i let myself in for" then read the last few and now feel fine again. Strange as there isnt anything reassuring in the last few.

Roughly how many hours a week do a PGCE student teach? (at my interview they said you will start with 11 hours a week but didnt say how many by the end of it)
Original post by MathsGirl
I read first few posts of this and was like "OMG what have i let myself in for" then read the last few and now feel fine again. Strange as there isnt anything reassuring in the last few.

Roughly how many hours a week do a PGCE student teach? (at my interview they said you will start with 11 hours a week but didnt say how many by the end of it)

It varies from course to course.

Our first proper teaching placement is 65% - 13/14 hours a week. The final placement is 80%, so around 16/17 hours a week. :smile:
Original post by affinity89
It varies from course to course.

Our first proper teaching placement is 65% - 13/14 hours a week. The final placement is 80%, so around 16/17 hours a week. :smile:

Thanks.
Original post by MathsGirl

Secondary PGCE: First five week we did 15 hours IN TOTAL.
Then 8-10hours per week for approx 7 weeks,
before moving onto 14 hours a week for the rest of the course.

That is the same for all subjects at my uni.

As said before, it varies between institutions.:redface:
We had our Teaching Fayre today, not sure how I feel about it. The general advice was all a bit conflicting, supply agencies at every angle saying how great they are and then other advice suggesting supply should only be a last ditch option to stave off the 16 month countdown. Then that we should get 'other' jobs in education if we can't find teaching jobs. Hmmm.

The main 'advice' was to relocate down south to get the NQT year finished. If I could I really would but it's just not going to be possible. Feeling rather deflated, I know getting a job is going to be an unimaginable hurdle but more positivity would have been nice! :frown:
Original post by balloon_parade
We had our Teaching Fayre today, not sure how I feel about it. The general advice was all a bit conflicting, supply agencies at every angle saying how great they are and then other advice suggesting supply should only be a last ditch option to stave off the 16 month countdown. Then that we should get 'other' jobs in education if we can't find teaching jobs. Hmmm.

The main 'advice' was to relocate down south to get the NQT year finished. If I could I really would but it's just not going to be possible. Feeling rather deflated, I know getting a job is going to be an unimaginable hurdle but more positivity would have been nice! :frown:

Goodness me, that all sounds a bit gloomy. Supply work isn't exactly ideal for NQTs, but if it's all there is, at least it's keeping your foot in the door and your skills up to date. What 'other' jobs did they suggest?
Mine is 8 hours a week in first placement and then 16 hours a week in the second, so 33% of a timetable and then 66% of a timetable.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Goodness me, that all sounds a bit gloomy. Supply work isn't exactly ideal for NQTs, but if it's all there is, at least it's keeping your foot in the door and your skills up to date. What 'other' jobs did they suggest?

They didn't really say, just that it was 'education based' so I assume perhaps TA, HTLA or Cover Supervisor?

I think the 16 month rule has got us all a bit reluctant to go onto supply now, or at least pick our agencies with good feedback for longer term supply with opportunity for induction.
Original post by balloon_parade
They didn't really say, just that it was 'education based' so I assume perhaps TA, HTLA or Cover Supervisor?

I think the 16 month rule has got us all a bit reluctant to go onto supply now, or at least pick our agencies with good feedback for longer term supply with opportunity for induction.

Honestly, I could cry for all of you when I think about how difficult they make it for you. I can't honestly say that all this hoop jumping makes anyone a better teacher. You've either got it or you haven't, if I am totally honest, and frankly, they should be damn glad anyone still wants to do the job, not pull the rug from under their feet as soon as they start to walk unaided. (I'm mixing the metaphors at bit tonight, I'm afraid. Also sounding even more of a cynical old cow than usual. Been that kind of a day.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending