The Student Room Group

BSMS Medicine Applicants 2012

Thinking of Applying to Brighton and Sussex Medical School?

Come here and discuss.

Add your name to the roll call below! chat,discuss,support and meet each other one day. Maybe dissect a cadaver with em.

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:smile::smile:yey!!!! i'm liking this thread. will be watching it really sternly. thanks for making it.
Reply 2
No problem B :afro:

Well tell us a bit about yourself. Get added to the Roll Call
Original post by belle-a
:smile::smile:yey!!!! i'm liking this thread. will be watching it really sternly. thanks for making it.
Reply 3
well i have an unconditional offer from bsms. finished my a levels a couple of years ago. so i guess im definitely going to brighton in 2012. working as a healthcare assistant. so yeah exciting times.

Username belle-a
Course Medicine(A100)
GCSE (or equivalent) A*A*A*A*AAAAAAAAA
AS Levels Maths A,chemistry A,biology A,physics A
A2 Levels Maths A, chemistry A, Physics A, biology A
International Student? No
Reapplicant/Transfer Applicant/First Time Applicant? not sure :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by belle-a
well i have an unconditional offer from bsms. finished my a levels a couple of years ago. so i guess im definitely going to brighton in 2012. working as a healthcare assistant. so yeah exciting times.

Username belle-a
Course Medicine(A100)

Added :yy:

This thread is moving slow
Reply 5
I think most people would want to know their exam and ukcat results first before making any decisions. But it will pick up soon. How is summer exam prep going.
Reply 6
What UKCAT score is BSMS looking for?
Reply 7
To the best of my knowledge it is not as UKCAT hungry as the likes of sheffield and manchester. They only use it as a tie breaker after interviews. Hope this helps.
Reply 8
Yeah I'm thinking of applying here, but like everyone else waiting for my results and UKCAT.
Reply 9
Oh okay. Not long to go now. Bet your hating the wait. When are you sitting the ukcat?
Reply 10
I've just sat my UKCat for entry to BSMS 2012. :s-smilie:

The computer calculator is a nightmare. Definitely slowed me down in the quantitive section.

I scored an overall average of 600 but two subsections were over 600 and two were under 600. I know that means I'm very average but I'm not sure if that is a pass or fail.

I'm starting the Access to Medicine Course at Sussex Downs College in Lewes and had my interview in BSMS back in June for the 2012 start. It is a linked place dependent on performance on the Access Course and I'm waiting to hear if I'm one of 7 or 8 which will achieve the linked place out of a cohort of about 18. If I'm not, then I get another chance in February where they select another 4 or 5. If I don't get a linked place, thats it no Doctor!!

If I get a linked place, I'm not sure how much of an impact this UKCat score will have. I'm very average on this test but have the brains to complete the degree and what I believe is a strong personals statement but we'll see.

Just waiting to hear now from BSMS... I wish they'd hurry up my nerves are in shreds!!!:smile:
Reply 11
Well, thats that then. No linked place. Got to apply with everyone else in September :cry:

Oh well, will have to make sure that I get Distinction in the Access course at Sussex Downs and fingers crossed for Feb. If not, will have to try again for 2013.

:frown:
Might re-apply here this year. Don't know yet depends on A2's.
The whole high grades encouraged but low grades can be balanced out by high achievement at A2 thing could really help me. Gcse's sub standard :P.
Original post by belle-a

Username belle-a
Course Medicine(A100)

What?

Did you apply for deferred entry or something? :hmmmm:

Original post by Fi-Bi-G
I've just sat my UKCat for entry to BSMS 2012. :s-smilie:

The computer calculator is a nightmare. Definitely slowed me down in the quantitive section.

I scored an overall average of 600 but two subsections were over 600 and two were under 600. I know that means I'm very average but I'm not sure if that is a pass or fail.

I'm starting the Access to Medicine Course at Sussex Downs College in Lewes and had my interview in BSMS back in June for the 2012 start. It is a linked place dependent on performance on the Access Course and I'm waiting to hear if I'm one of 7 or 8 which will achieve the linked place out of a cohort of about 18. If I'm not, then I get another chance in February where they select another 4 or 5. If I don't get a linked place, thats it no Doctor!!

If I get a linked place, I'm not sure how much of an impact this UKCat score will have. I'm very average on this test but have the brains to complete the degree and what I believe is a strong personals statement but we'll see.

Just waiting to hear now from BSMS... I wish they'd hurry up my nerves are in shreds!!!:smile:

Average of 600 could be worse :yep:

if you take a look at what info was offered to us by applicants last year: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Applicants_Stalking_Page_2011_Entry#Brighton_and_Sussex you can see that a user named stephen88 managed to get an interview with an average of 595 :h:
Unfortunately not everyone got back to me so the info's missing in places :sadnod:
Reply 14
Original post by Fi-Bi-G
Well, thats that then. No linked place. Got to apply with everyone else in September :cry:

Oh well, will have to make sure that I get Distinction in the Access course at Sussex Downs and fingers crossed for Feb. If not, will have to try again for 2013.

:frown:

Looking on the bright side you have months before submitting your application to gain useful work-related exerience and volunteering to include on your ps to make it shine above the others
Reply 15
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
What?

Did you apply for deferred entry or something? :hmmmm:

Yes.:smile:
Original post by belle-a
Yes.:smile:

Ah that makes sense..

Enjoy your gap year :erm: (hope you've got a lot planned..)
Reply 17
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Ah that makes sense..

Enjoy your gap year :erm: (hope you've got a lot planned..)

Nothing too exciting unfortunately. Just working to raise money and volunteering.
Are you going to brighton in september?
Reply 18
Username Eveliin a
Course Medicine A100
GCSE (or equivalent) A*; AA; A,A; B,B,B,B,B; GNVQ P
A2 Levels Biology; Physical Education; Dance
Graduate? pending BSc Sport Science and Biological Science
International Student? Nope, Brit
Reapplicant/Transfer Applicant/First Time Applicant? First Timer
Original post by belle-a
Nothing too exciting unfortunately. Just working to raise money and volunteering.
Are you going to brighton in september?

Nope :nah:
I'm going to Barts and The London.. just wanted to watch what happens at other applications.. and I might be able to answer questions (but I don't know that much about BSMS atm I'm afraid :colondollar:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending