The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Philosoraptor
Wasn't TOO bad but have made the mistake of exam post-mortem with clever people :p:

That said the exam was really badly written in my opinion especially for some of the GP questions....

Anyway - OSCE for Paeds/GP/Derm tomorrow and then freedom!!! (well lectures for Preparation for practice next week but mehhhhhhh) Thanks for the pos rep/wishes guys :biggrin:

P.S. - Who is Oggz? Is he a medical student and bitter? Or what...

Not a medic. Just an arse. Let's see how long until this conversation gets modded out...
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Not a medic. Just an arse. Let's see how long until this conversation gets modded out...

Is modding a problem for this thread now? I thought idle chat was the purpose here being a society thread and all?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ThisLittlePiggy
Is modding a problem for this thread now? I thought idle chat was the purpose here being a society thread and all?

It seems to be for some people, I haven't experienced it really, but I barely post anymore.
Original post by crazylemon
I must say I know zilch sadly.

I will try and find someone who knows tomorrow!

Currently I am thinking of haemaholiday because I want an easier year...probably one of the worse reasons to pick a degree :s-smilie:

Thank you! Dont worry if you cant though! :smile:
Reply 7104
Really love the heart :heart:

& I'm loving young apprentice this year! C'MONNNNN final!
Reply 7105
Ooh, HSBC's student overdraft is £3000.
Original post by SMed
Ooh, HSBC's student overdraft is £3000.

Instantly? Mine is slowly building to that, I think.
Original post by Vulpes
Same. Started cardiovascular last week. Currently on arrhythmia and our PBL is on palpitation. Might go out tomorrow night since I get Wednesday off :woo:

So you do PBLs more on signs and symptoms than a specific disease? :dontknow:

A whole day off???
What is this nonsense...
Wish I could have a day off.. but at least can relax(ish) with a rowing outing on wednesday afternoon followed by tables :colone:

Original post by rumandraisin
How does your guys PBL work? It seems that it is quite different from ours? Like one of you mentioned having a PBL on palpation? How can a whole PBL be on just one topic? Or am i just reading things wrong:confused:

Where do you study?

I'm at BL and what we've done so far is have scenarios whereby the patient will have a certain condition etc and the PBL will be based around that.

So for example the one in 8 hours is haemophilia, (well haemophilia A for this patient) so we set learning objectives so that we research and study about haemophilia signs and symptoms, pathophysiology and genetics as well as also the clotting cascade in general.

Depends on the PBL but normally it seems it's one disease but covering a topic that's been mentioned in lectures..

Hows it done with you?

Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Surely that's haematology rather than cardiology? We just covered it in our haem module :unsure: It's barely related to the heart at all :confused:

:dontknow:

All I know is our module is called cardiorespiratory at the moment and we're covering the blood in basics etc so including the clotting cascade and did anaemia for the previous PBL.

Wouldn't know but RollerBall etc would know but guessing they cover things again in more detail if the spiral curriculum is true :redface:

Otherwise just same stuff under different names :dontknow:
PBL is shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite
Reply 7109
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Instantly? Mine is slowly building to that, I think.

No, but £500 guaranteed at opening. Do you have to build up to a larger overdraft over time? I've never had a student account and have always refused an overdraft on my normal account. I don't know how these things work. I'm opening one at Barclays tomorrow and they said it's a £200 OD at opening and can be extended to £2000 but he didn't say anything about it taking time - I got the impression I just ask for the £2000 OD and they'll give it to me.
Original post by Penguinsaysquack

All I know is our module is called cardiorespiratory at the moment and we're covering the blood in basics etc so including the clotting cascade and did anaemia for the previous PBL.

Haematology again :grumble: :p:
Original post by digitalis

Have you not benefited from it?

seconded

I think, when done well, it's very good. But it's so low yield -- having to go to the sources yourself and synthesise the information rather than having it all there on a lecture -- that to cover the same amount of information as someone on a lecture-based course, you'd need to spend another two years doing the degree.
Original post by SMed
No, but £500 guaranteed at opening. Do you have to build up to a larger overdraft over time? I've never had a student account and have always refused an overdraft on my normal account. I don't know how these things work. I'm opening one at Barclays tomorrow and they said it's a £200 OD at opening and can be extended to £2000 but he didn't say anything about it taking time - I got the impression I just ask for the £2000 OD and they'll give it to me.

Mine started at £500 for the first year, and then there were incremental increases each academic year that I could ask for, so it's currently on it's third year level of £1750 or something cos I don't think I've got round to asking for this years increase. By fifth year it'll be £3000 - goodness knows what happens in sixth year.
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Haematology again :grumble: :p:

I wonder though if they're in the one bundle because anaemia can present with shortness of breath on exertion, in a similar manner to both heart failure and many different lung diseases (classically COPD) can. Whenever I get a patient complaining of shortness of breath, the little phrase "cardio, resp, anaemia" goes through my head!

Or maybe the medical school couldn't fit haematology into anywhere else :smile:
Reply 7116
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Mine started at £500 for the first year, and then there were incremental increases each academic year that I could ask for, so it's currently on it's third year level of £1750 or something cos I don't think I've got round to asking for this years increase. By fifth year it'll be £3000 - goodness knows what happens in sixth year.

OIC.
Reply 7117
Original post by rumandraisin
How does your guys PBL work? It seems that it is quite different from ours? Like one of you mentioned having a PBL on palpation? How can a whole PBL be on just one topic? Or am i just reading things wrong:confused:

I'm at BL and what we've done so far is have scenarios whereby the patient will have a certain condition etc and the PBL will be based around that.

So for example the one in 8 hours is haemophilia, (well haemophilia A for this patient) so we set learning objectives so that we research and study about haemophilia signs and symptoms, pathophysiology and genetics as well as also the clotting cascade in general.

Depends on the PBL but normally it seems it's one disease but covering a topic that's been mentioned in lectures..

Hows it done with you?

Well Sheffield doesn't really have a PBL course. We call it an "Integrated Learning Activity". I was being a bit too specific. We get a patient with a certain condition (Chest pain, Leg pain) to come in and discuss his/her condition to us. Then we set learning objectives and read up on them e.g.

to describe the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis
to describe the pathophysiology of myocardial infarction

We have already had lectures on all of these topics so we are using the ILA session to collaborate between our group members and fill the gaps of knowledge. We get this once every 2 weeks.

Penguinsaysquack
So you do PBLs more on signs and symptoms than a specific disease? :dontknow:

A whole day off???
What is this nonsense...
Wish I could have a day off.. but at least can relax(ish) with a rowing outing on wednesday afternoon followed by tables :colone:

Haha. Well this Wednesday we have a clinical attachment at the Northern General Hospital between 9-5. Obviously we can't have 240 first-years in the building so we split into groups to do this. Which = me getting a day off :woo:
Original post by Fission_Mailed
The exams are just on this semester, fortunately. I'm not normally this tired, but my medication is ****ing up my ability to stay awake somewhat.

I'm sorry to hear that :frown: I think it would be a good idea to talk about this to your tutor. I hope you do really well and I'm sure you will as you're quite bright, but if anything were to happen in the exam period then your tutor could speak on your behalf to the exam commitee and let them know you were having issues beforehand and did let someone know about it. Because for us, it makes quite a difference if we tell someone before the exam than come forward with mitigating circumstances after the exam especially in regards to being allowed to resit the year. I hope you never have to experience this, but do keep it in the back of your mind as a safety net.

Original post by crazylemon
I understand the shape my problem is analysis of. So everything from AF to LVH to RBBB and beyond is my current goal.

WHAT FUN

Aww I like ECGs. Unfortunately the cardiovascular module doesn't nearly come up in exams as much as I'd like. The ECG made easy book as suggested previously is really helpful, but have you formed a method to read ECGs? Like be able to recognise a normal one then recognise abnormal. For example: on any ECG, first work out if its regular/irregular, rate, sinus rhythm etc. Then know your PR, RR, QRS intervals for a normal ECG.

I remember learning arrythmias as how the ECG looks, so first p wave - absence of p waves, if wave is peaked/depressed. Could point to atrial hypertrophy, atrial enlargement, atrial flutter/fibrillation.

Then move onto what abnormal PR interval could mean - 1st degree AV block is a consistent long PR interval in each beat, but no other abnormality. So rate is constant each time as is rhythm. And so on.

Found this ppt online, although its far more detailed than our lecture!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Vulpes
Well Sheffield doesn't really have a PBL course. We call it an "Integrated Learning Activity". I was being a bit too specific. We get a patient with a certain condition (Chest pain, Leg pain) to come in and discuss his/her condition to us. Then we set learning objectives and read up on them e.g.

to describe the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis
to describe the pathophysiology of myocardial infarction

We have already had lectures on all of these topics so we are using the ILA session to collaborate between our group members and fill the gaps of knowledge. We get this once every 2 weeks.

Same, Leicester has the same format for our groupwork sessions and we have a set of clinical case studies and someone to supervise us - this could be a junior doctor, clinical academic, module leader etc. Only difference is the learning objectives are already set and the lecture/groupwork/private study sessions are to ensure we fulfill the learning objectives. And we have groupwork every day and our dissection sessions are in the same groups too.

Do you stay with the same group? We stay with ours for the entirety of Phase 1, our group was pretty awesome.

Latest