The Student Room Group

Which London uni??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Barts has prestige and honour and queen mary lacks it so they prefer to be named that. In all fairness most medical universities have a second name - just in london you've got RUMS (UCL) and GKT (King's CL) etc.
Original post by AkDo
Barts has prestige and honour and queen mary lacks it so they prefer to be named that. In all fairness most medical universities have a second name - just in london you've got RUMS (UCL) and GKT (King's CL) etc.

Try telling that to the law school. Go on, I dare you :cool:
Reply 22
Imperial is a world renowned uni especially for Engineering. LSE is also a very good uni with a great reputation! Queen Mary/Kings and UCL are also good universities however i would say a different level to Imperial and LSE. My cousin goes Queen Mary and she loves it , has a campus unlike a lot of London unis which is a great experience.

Check out comparetheuni.com they have a good head to head system where you can compare unis side by side. Its pretty good if you want to compare unis quickly.
Reply 23
Original post by jay1234
Imperial is a world renowned uni especially for Engineering. LSE is also a very good uni with a great reputation! Queen Mary/Kings and UCL are also good universities however i would say a different level to Imperial and LSE. My cousin goes Queen Mary and she loves it , has a campus unlike a lot of London unis which is a great experience.

Check out comparetheuni.com they have a good head to head system where you can compare unis side by side. Its pretty good if you want to compare unis quickly.

compare your post with the forum this is in.

Original post by Renal
Ask Westfield College.

The fact I had to google that proves your point nicely :wink:
Original post by Helenia

But ask a non-medic which university is better, Imperial or QMUL, and I can bet which answer they'd pick 9 times out of 10. This is, I think, one of the reasons why BL doesn't like its association with QMUL so much.

Hang on, this is a medical forum! Its also a bit hard on Imperial for Democracy to compare their Laws and English Departments with QMUL, since neither exist there as far as I know. My contacts at Barts tell me a good deal of the resentment lies in the fact that the resurgence of QMUL in recent years - the league tables - etc is due to the massive increase in the medical school's research income (now ~70% of the total income), their tremendous leap in the NSS this year (from 23rd to 8th in 2011 and second only to UCL in the capital as the website puts it) and the 27% increase in medical school applications this year (also from the website) which has kept applications to QMUL steady while applications to Science and Engineering fell (not on the website). There's more than a feeling that QMUL are riding on Barts coat tails while doing their level best to change the School's name to Queen Mary School of Medicine.
Reply 25
Original post by GrahamRodney
Hang on, this is a medical forum! Its also a bit hard on Imperial for Democracy to compare their Laws and English Departments with QMUL, since neither exist there as far as I know. My contacts at Barts tell me a good deal of the resentment lies in the fact that the resurgence of QMUL in recent years - the league tables - etc is due to the massive increase in the medical school's research income (now ~70% of the total income), their tremendous leap in the NSS this year (from 23rd to 8th in 2011 and second only to UCL in the capital as the website puts it) and the 27% increase in medical school applications this year (also from the website) which has kept applications to QMUL steady while applications to Science and Engineering fell (not on the website). There's more than a feeling that QMUL are riding on Barts coat tails while doing their level best to change the School's name to Queen Mary School of Medicine.

I'm not quite sure what you're arguing with. You're making a big deal over a months-old tongue-in-cheek comment. This forum has gone over multiple times the heavy-handed ways in which QMUL has treated BL, and I'm well aware that this is the major bone of contention and one of the reasons that the BLers are keen to retain their individual identity. I don't think it's unfair to say, though, that most people would be happier for their medical school to be associated with Imperial/UCL than "the crayon-munching Geography idiots in Mile End" as one alumnus so beautifully put it.

Edit: I know QMUL is actually a decent uni - my sister is a recent graduate (and mum doesn't like them because she's a Westfield alumna) - but the point about overall prestige still stands.
(edited 12 years ago)
I was merely making the point that this is a medical forum so presumably we are talking about prestige in this area, not generally. Also I am new to this site and certainly have never heard the 'crayon-munching' descriptor. If this is the general view about QMUL/Barts then fine - but I do not know what students/staff at Barts will/can do about it.
I was merely making the point that this is a medical forum so presumably we are talking about prestige in this area, not generally. Also I am new to this site and certainly have never heard the 'crayon-munching' descriptor. If this is the general view about QMUL/Barts then fine - but I do not know what students/staff at Barts will/can do about it.

Love ur comment!! So true...

It's not the view about BL. It's not even the view about QMUL outside of certain areas of this forum either.
Reply 29
Original post by Helenia
I don't think it's unfair to say, though, that most people would be happier for their medical school to be associated with Imperial/UCL than "the crayon-munching Geography idiots in Mile End" as one alumnus so beautifully put it.
:colone:
Reply 30

It is the medical forum, but my point was more general (and not entirely serious!) than specifically related to the medical schools, which as we have established, differ very little in terms of reputation.

And the crayon-munching bit was definitely about QM, not BL.
Point taken. Crayon munchers at Mile End

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending