The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3060
That was mad. Some strange decisions refereeing wise but still. Eli's smile was quickly removed, enjoyable game to watch.
I'm happy I didn't watch that game, otherwise I would've had a heart attack...
Original post by fudgesundae
No one runs the hurry up offense/two minute drill better than Brady. The defence just has no time to catch their breath or get organised.

Also Gronkowski 14th TD of the season through 11.5 games so far :tongue:

When people say how far Rodgers is ahead of the rest of the QBs, I suggest they look at what Brady can do with the weapons around him. Rodgers is undoubtedly playing better, but I don't think he is as far ahead as people say he is. And people saying he is having the best season by a QB so far? Dream on! Brady in 2007 through 11 was better.

edit: wow the TD given as a rushing TD for Gronkowski

Why are all Pats fans the same?!
Original post by Hedgeman49
Why are all Pats fans the same?!

which bit do you disagree with?
which bit do you disagree with?

"Brady in 2007 through 11 was better" - Brady missed an entire season in that time period! Yeah his 2007 season was very good, and last year was also solid, but I wouldn't call most of the outlined period particularly gamechanging.
Original post by Hedgeman49
"Brady in 2007 through 11 was better" - Brady missed an entire season in that time period! Yeah his 2007 season was very good, and last year was also solid, but I wouldn't call most of the outlined period particularly gamechanging.

huh? I'm talking about 2007 Brady vs 2011 Rodgers. Here are Brady's stats:

11 games - 3439 yards, 72.4%, 39 TD, 4 INT

Rodgers:

11 games - 3475 yards, 71.8%, 33 TD, 4 INT

Similar ish, apart from TDs. But then factor in how the Pats were averaging something ridiculous like over 40 points a game. They just looked unstoppable. Packers yesterday against the Giants? Well it looked very much as if the Giants had a good shot at beating them.

Rodgers:

Similar ish, apart from TDs. But then factor in how the Pats were averaging something ridiculous like over 40 points a game. They just looked unstoppable. Packers yesterday against the Giants? Well it looked very much as if the Giants had a good shot at beating them.

Same can be said for the SB that year...
Reply 3067
Playoff week in the Fantasy League guys, Who's in the Consolation playoffs and who's in the championship playoffs then huh?

I've got the 2-Seed *Proud* :redface:
Seed 6, quite happy with it. It would've been very tough if I'd got seed 7. Considering my team's been playing really well in the last few weeks, semi-final is definitely likely.
Original post by OxfordGoBrach
Same can be said for the SB that year...

not really, it didn't look like happening, it did happen. Not sure what that really adds, Rodgers hasn't won the SB this season yet. I was comparing seasons so far and saying that I think Brady in 07 has the edge over Rodgers this year. Although if Rodgers does win the SB this year, then his season will have been better.
Reply 3070

Rodgers:

not just that, but the Pats beat a hell of a lot more good teams in 2007.

13-3 Colts
13-3 Cowboys
11-5 Chargers
10-6 Steelers
10-6 Browns
10-6 Giants

It looks increasingly likely that the only team with 10+ wins that the Packers will have faced this year will be the Saints in GW1. Even the not so great teams the packers faced that year were middle of the pack guys like the 9-7 redskins, 8-8 Eagles, 7-9 Bills and 7-9 Bengals. Really the only poor teams they faced were the 4-12 Jets, 4-12 Ravens and 1-15 embarrassment Dolphins.

The Patriots beat 6 teams which made the playoffs, and if they go 16-0, the Packers will have beaten 2 teams certain to make the playoffs (Saints and the winner of the AFC West) and up to 2 from the Bears/Falcons/Giants/Lions that are in the race for a wild card spot (though in reality it'll only be 1 since the Seahawks are cert to take the #6 spot)

I can't help but feel that when the Packers come up against a team with both a strong offense and defence (so far the only team in the top 10 they've played for scoring defence is the Broncos, and that was before Tebow took the reins). The Falcons are 10th in defence for yardage (the only top 10 defence for yardage they've played) but give up points like nobodies business (22nd). By comparison, 7 of the 10 teams the Pats beat in 2007 were in the top 10 for defence, the Pats were also in the top 10 meaning there were only 2 teams they didn't beat in the top 10. Only 5 of them were in the top 10 for scoring defence to be fair, but it's no less impressive

I'm not even a Pats fan, I hate them, but this years Packers still have a long way to go before they impress me as much as the 2007 Pats did.
(edited 12 years ago)
not really, it didn't look like happening, it did happen. Not sure what that really adds, Rodgers hasn't won the SB this season yet. I was comparing seasons so far and saying that I think Brady in 07 has the edge over Rodgers this year. Although if Rodgers does win the SB this year, then his season will have been better.

I disagree, the Pats had been declining in the playoffs in comparison to their regular season form, and the Giants were on a rampant winning streak. It was very possible to people who actually looked beyond the win/loss column and looked at performances.

That said, it wasn't meant to add much, other than a friendly jab from a Phins fan bitter about your domination of the AFC East since Bellichick and Brady combined. Marino's '84 season at least equals Brady's 07 one if you consider that despite it becoming a lot easier to pass nowadays with rule changes, it took 20 years for Manning to break the TD record the first time, and his passing yards record still stands 27 years on. I know I'm always likely to say this a Phins fan, but even so, given the obstacles in the way, that's insane numbers.
Original post by munn
not just that, but the Pats beat a hell of a lot more good teams in 2007.

13-3 Colts
13-3 Cowboys
11-5 Chargers
10-6 Steelers
10-6 Browns
10-6 Giants

It looks increasingly likely that the only team with 10+ wins that the Packers will have faced this year will be the Saints in GW1. Even the not so great teams the packers faced that year were middle of the pack guys like the 9-7 redskins, 8-8 Eagles, 7-9 Bills and 7-9 Bengals. Really the only poor teams they faced were the 4-12 Jets, 4-12 Ravens and 1-15 embarrassment Dolphins.

The Patriots beat 6 teams which made the playoffs, and if they go 16-0, the Packers will have beaten 2 teams certain to make the playoffs (Saints and the winner of the AFC West) and up to 2 from the Bears/Falcons/Giants/Lions that are in the race for a wild card spot (though in reality it'll only be 1 since the Seahawks are cert to take the #6 spot)

I can't help but feel that when the Packers come up against a team with both a strong offense and defence (so far the only team in the top 10 they've played for scoring defence is the Broncos, and that was before Tebow took the reins). The Falcons are 10th in defence for yardage (the only top 10 defence for yardage they've played) but give up points like nobodies business (22nd). By comparison, 7 of the 10 teams the Pats beat in 2007 were in the top 10 for defence, the Pats were also in the top 10 meaning there were only 2 teams they didn't beat in the top 10. Only 5 of them were in the top 10 for scoring defence to be fair, but it's no less impressive

I'm not even a Pats fan, I hate them, but this years Packers still have a long way to go before they impress me as much as the 2007 Pats did.

Wow, I knew they had to play some good teams but didn't realise their schedule was that strong. In comparison Green Bay have a pretty easy schedule lol

I disagree, the Pats had been declining in the playoffs in comparison to their regular season form, and the Giants were on a rampant winning streak. It was very possible to people who actually looked beyond the win/loss column and looked at performances.

That said, it wasn't meant to add much, other than a friendly jab from a Phins fan bitter about your domination of the AFC East since Bellichick and Brady combined. Marino's '84 season at least equals Brady's 07 one if you consider that despite it becoming a lot easier to pass nowadays with rule changes, it took 20 years for Manning to break the TD record the first time, and his passing yards record still stands 27 years on. I know I'm always likely to say this a Phins fan, but even so, given the obstacles in the way, that's insane numbers.

true, but when you did look at how the Pats had played all season long, you were wary of the fact that they could light it up at any moment.
And it wasn't people looking at the win-loss column. Some of the performances that year were simply unbelievable. Averaging 40 odd points a game all season with a very tough schedule. People thought the Pats were a dead cert thanks to how they had dominated every other team they came across (except in the last few playoff games).

I would be surprised if the Packers did not go 16-0, however I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't win the SB. We have seen how the playoffs are a whole different kettle of fish, and regular season form can often be thrown out the window.

And Marino in 84 was, i'm sure, brilliant however I did not live through that season, so cannot really comment on how he played in comparison to Brady in 2007. Brady would have broken Marino's passing yardage record in 2007 but he faded away in the last 3 or 4 games of the season. Also I'm just guessing here, but one reason Marino's season may not be as highly revered as Brady's could be the fashion in which the Phins were beaten in the SB. The 49ers ended up pretty much dominating them for most of the game. However it took one fantastic play by Manning and an equally brilliant catch by Tyree to defeat the Patriots in 07.
Wow, I knew they had to play some good teams but didn't realise their schedule was that strong. In comparison Green Bay have a pretty easy schedule lol

true, but when you did look at how the Pats had played all season long, you were wary of the fact that they could light it up at any moment.
And it wasn't people looking at the win-loss column. Some of the performances that year were simply unbelievable. Averaging 40 odd points a game all season with a very tough schedule. People thought the Pats were a dead cert thanks to how they had dominated every other team they came across (except in the last few playoff games).

I would be surprised if the Packers did not go 16-0, however I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't win the SB. We have seen how the playoffs are a whole different kettle of fish, and regular season form can often be thrown out the window.

And Marino in 84 was, i'm sure, brilliant however I did not live through that season, so cannot really comment on how he played in comparison to Brady in 2007. Brady would have broken Marino's passing yardage record in 2007 but he faded away in the last 3 or 4 games of the season. Also I'm just guessing here, but one reason Marino's season may not be as highly revered as Brady's could be the fashion in which the Phins were beaten in the SB. The 49ers ended up pretty much dominating them for most of the game. However it took one fantastic play by Manning and an equally brilliant catch by Tyree to defeat the Patriots in 07.

Yeah, I haven't denied they dominated all year in regular season. But in the run up to the SB they were playing worse and the Giants were playing better and better. Immediate form and the playoffs being a different kettle of fish as you say were what made the Patriots less favoured than they would have been. They were favourites don't get me wrong, but not as certain as some people make out, some analysts could see some things there.

As for the SB loss, perhaps, that's a fair point. Just a shame we had such a poor defense and running game compared to the Niners - 26 yards rushing or whatever it was was awful for us.

As for the Packers, I'd like to see them go up against the Niners or Steelers (if they were both in the SB again like last year). Those teams have stingy tough defenses and their offenses both are big on time management games. Rodgers seems to have a lot of time possession on offense which takes the pressure off the Packers' Defense by heaping it on the opposing offense. If the Steelers with Big Ben or the Niners with Smith and their running game can put points on the board slowly, seeing how Rodgers and his defense (maybe they'll be exposed) react will be interesting. Bear in mind, the Steelers and Niners this year both have statistically speaking very good defenses too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Yeah, I haven't denied they dominated all year in regular season. But in the run up to the SB they were playing worse and the Giants were playing better and better. Immediate form and the playoffs being a different kettle of fish as you say were what made the Patriots less favoured than they would have been. They were favourites don't get me wrong, but not as certain as some people make out, some analysts could see some things there.

As for the SB loss, perhaps, that's a fair point. Just a shame we had such a poor defense and running game compared to the Niners - 26 yards rushing or whatever it was was awful for us.

As for the Packers, I'd like to see them go up against the Niners or Steelers (if they were both in the SB again like last year). Those teams have stingy tough defenses and their offenses both are big on time management games. Rodgers seems to have a lot of time possession on offense which takes the pressure off the Packers' Defense by heaping it on the opposing offense. If the Steelers with Big Ben or the Niners with Smith and their running game can put points on the board slowly, seeing how Rodgers and his defense (maybe they'll be exposed) react will be interesting. Bear in mind, the Steelers and Niners this year both have statistically speaking very good defenses too.

Yes I agree the Pats weren't as heavily favoured as they had should have been looking at their regular season performance, due to their slump in the post season. However many people, including myself, did believe that here is a guy who has done it 3 times before, just thrown 50 TDs in a season and had probably the greatest season ever: surely he can turn it on for one big game :tongue:

I would actually prefer a Saints - Packers NFC Champ game and a Pats - Packers SB. I would much rather see the Packers against a high powered offence than a good defence. I think Rodgers playing at his best just has too much class and will find a way to dismantle the 49ers or Steelers D. However with Brady and Brees at their best, they can keep up with him in terms of scoring. Which can make for a very interesting game, as we saw on sunday, with the Packers shaky D.

Also Pats - Packers SB would have like 100 points scored in it lol and both QBs would throw for 400+ yards.
Pats - Packers SB would have like 100 points scored in it lol and both QBs would throw for 400+ yards.

Yes I agree the Pats weren't as heavily favoured as they had should have been looking at their regular season performance, due to their slump in the post season. However many people, including myself, did believe that here is a guy who has done it 3 times before, just thrown 50 TDs in a season and had probably the greatest season ever: surely he can turn it on for one big game :tongue:

I would actually prefer a Saints - Packers NFC Champ game and a Pats - Packers SB. I would much rather see the Packers against a high powered offence than a good defence. I think Rodgers playing at his best just has too much class and will find a way to dismantle the 49ers or Steelers D. However with Brady and Brees at their best, they can keep up with him in terms of scoring. Which can make for a very interesting game, as we saw on sunday, with the Packers shaky D.

Also Pats - Packers SB would have like 100 points scored in it lol and both QBs would throw for 400+ yards.

Well the thing about Rodgers against the Steelers or Niners is he might be able to dominate against them when he gets to play, but if the Steelers for example limit how many times he's on the field, they have a good shot, I still rate Big Ben against their defense. I never want a Pats SB as a Dolphins fan of course, but i see your point. It's a shame that Schaub went down for the Texans actually, they've been a great team on both sides of the ball this year.
Reply 3077
what i will say is i'll be surprised if the Packers go 16-0.
Not because I don't think they're good enough, but they surely have to look at the 16-0 Pats and think "they went for the record and it cost them, had they rested in the last 2 games they'd have been a lot more ready for the playoffs, instead they went for the win in every game and it probably cost them in terms of fatigue

must say it's eerily similar that the 2011 packers beat the giants 38-35 just as the 2007 pats did though.
Well the thing about Rodgers against the Steelers or Niners is he might be able to dominate against them when he gets to play, but if the Steelers for example limit how many times he's on the field, they have a good shot, I still rate Big Ben against their defense. I never want a Pats SB as a Dolphins fan of course, but i see your point. It's a shame that Schaub went down for the Texans actually, they've been a great team on both sides of the ball this year.

Yeh, Steelers - Packers would still be very good game. You sure you don't wanna see a Pats - Packers SB just as a football fan? :tongue:

Original post by munn
what i will say is i'll be surprised if the Packers go 16-0.
Not because I don't think they're good enough, but they surely have to look at the 16-0 Pats and think "they went for the record and it cost them, had they rested in the last 2 games they'd have been a lot more ready for the playoffs, instead they went for the win in every game and it probably cost them in terms of fatigue

must say it's eerily similar that the 2011 packers beat the giants 38-35 just as the 2007 pats did though.

Not sure, teams have rested their players before and it has backfired massively. I think the Packers will go for a perfect season.
I have no doubt that the Packers will go 16-0, barring an injury to a key player (Rodgers, Woodson, Matthews, Jennings). As for 19-0, depends who steps up when it really counts and who has the gas to keep going all the way through to February.

Latest