The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Does UCL consider everything you achieved so far or just A-Levels?

Do they consider my GCSEs as well? My GCSE results was abysmal, but it was enough to get me into A-Levels course at college.

I believe that result is mainly due to crappy school in crappy area. So, what if I achieved AAA/A*A*A* or something similar and would they ignore my GCSE results and consider based on my A-Levels and PS?
Apart from C grades in GCSE Maths and English:

For UK-based students, UCL requires a Modern Language GCSE at grade C or above for all of its programmes.

Source.
(edited 12 years ago)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by snow leopard

Modern Language? Does that mean any modern languages including English? If so, C. But I have a level 2 qualification in different language that are worth equivalent to A or B in GCSE.
Reply 3
Original post by snow leopard
Apart from C grades in GCSE Maths and English:

Source.

You shouldn't post that without context - I'm pretty sure even that website repeatedly states that not having that modern-languages C just means you have to take a half-unit in one while at UCL, which is certainly the case.
Reply 4
Considers everything, aye. Doesn't put much weight on some things, though (for maths, at least).
Original post by Rtcw
Modern Language? Does that mean any modern languages including English? If so, C. But I have a level 2 qualification in different language that are worth equivalent to A or B in GCSE.

It should really say Modern 'Foreign' Language - English doesn't count. I'm sure they'll accept the equivalent to a GCSE you have though.
Reply 6
(Please note that this is purely an example)

What if, for Medicine say, at GCSE, I got A's and B's - but I showed massive improvement and got A*A*A at A-Level, then what would be the outcome? Would somebody with lower A-Levels and higher GCSE's get in?
Reply 7
Original post by Rtcw
Do they consider my GCSEs as well? My GCSE results was abysmal, but it was enough to get me into A-Levels course at college.

I believe that result is mainly due to crappy school in crappy area. So, what if I achieved AAA/A*A*A* or something similar and would they ignore my GCSE results and consider based on my A-Levels and PS?

I go to UCL and have friends from different departments all around the university. From experience, I can say that they definitely do look at GCSEs. Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, Imperial etc. all look at GCSEs and they use them to distinguish between the good students and the best students. All of the people I know there have at least 4-6 A*s and the rest As, but usually they have a few more A*s than that, even. HOWEVER, that said, you can still impress in other areas: the interview, the personal statement and the A level grades are all extremely important as well. If you can show a natural aptitude for your subject and passion in your personal statement and interview, while scoring exceptional A level results, then they might give you a place. Basically, they won't "ignore" your GCSE results, but they'll judge them less harshly if you prove yourself in other areas of your application. Hope this helps.
Reply 8
Original post by vindicta
(Please note that this is purely an example)

What if, for Medicine say, at GCSE, I got A's and B's - but I showed massive improvement and got A*A*A at A-Level, then what would be the outcome? Would somebody with lower A-Levels and higher GCSE's get in?

Yes, that's an example I would want to know.
Original post by INTJ
I go to UCL and have friends from different departments all around the university. From experience, I can say that they definitely do look at GCSEs. Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, Imperial etc. all look at GCSEs and they use them to distinguish between the good students and the best students. All of the people I know there have at least 4-6 A*s and the rest As, but usually they have a few more A*s than that, even. HOWEVER, that said, you can still impress in other areas: the interview, the personal statement and the A level grades are all extremely important as well. If you can show a natural aptitude for your subject and passion in your personal statement and interview, while scoring exceptional A level results, then they might give you a place. Basically, they won't "ignore" your GCSE results, but they'll judge them less harshly if you prove yourself in other areas of your application. Hope this helps.

It's not really fair for those students going to crap state school...
Reply 9
Original post by Rtcw
Yes, that's an example I would want to know.

It's not really fair for those students going to crap state school...

I know. I went to two high schools which were literally two of the WORST in the country. One was closed down after an axe attack, and the other had only a 60% pass rate. It's unfair.
Reply 10
I just got an offer with A*A*AAAABBBBB at GCSE, so you don't need tonnes of A*s as long as you can show a real passion for your subject and have the right predicted grades. Chill :cool:
Reply 11
Original post by Lollyage
I just got an offer with A*A*AAAABBBBB at GCSE, so you don't need tonnes of A*s as long as you can show a real passion for your subject and have the right predicted grades. Chill :cool:

Congrats! :biggrin:

- Also, do you all think that the entry requirements will keep on rising for uni's?
Reply 12
Lollyage, I got grades lower than that. Anyway, I heard a story from a mate saying that a mate of my mate had an offer at Oxford, and she managed to bring it down to EEE just because her parents are rich and because she thinks she couldn't achieve standard grades required by on their website.

Quick Reply

Latest