The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

OU Maths modules / Input appreciated

Since my 1st post I am exploring this avenue (so I can keep my open degree to 2 subjects instead of 3)

I am looking to go into Primary teaching and have it confirmed by one university that the S104 course would be suitable equivalent to a GCSE Science.

My maths study is upto Year 2 HND as I had to pull out in the final year to personal reasons, this was in 1996. As it was so long ago I have decided to start from scratch again.

In Feb 2012 I am taking S104 and MST121 (90 points level 1 courses), so this covers my GCSE science need.

I want to take the MS221, MS208 and MST209. Now both 208 and 209 are normally taken after 221, but they do a bridging course for 209 so people can follow on from MST121 if they require.

I have been working through the bridging course, completed the differentiation and need to complete the integration and complex numbers

Do you think it is possible to do MS221 and MST209 at the same time, if I complete the bridging course. Starting this in Oct 2012.

So

Year 1
Exploring Science S104 (60)
Using Mathematics MST121 (30)

Year 2
Exploring Mathematics MS221 (30)
Mathematical methods and models (MST209) (60) Studying the bridging course between now and the start of Feb.

Year 3
Pure mathematics (M208) (60)
Level 3 course (30)

Year 4
3 x Level 3 courses (90) Total 360 points

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by PennineAcute
Do you think it is possible to do MS221 and MST209 at the same time, if I complete the bridging course. Starting this in Oct 2012.

I don't see any problems with this. If you can deal with all the MST209 bridging material, then much of MS221 will be a recap.

In MS221 Block C is calc, which you'll have done. A quarter of block D is complex numbers, and the conics and functions for geometry that you'll already know cover two thirds of block A. Block B deals with matrices which pops up early in MST209, so you might even cover that early too.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Moggs
I don't see any problems with this. If you can deal with all the MST209 bridging material, then much of MS221 will be a recap.

In MS221 Block C is calc, which you'll have done. A quarter of block D is complex numbers, and the conics and functions for geometry that you'll already know cover two thirds of block A. Block B deals with matrices which pops up early in MST209, so you might even cover that early too.

Thanks for the reply and much appreciated.
I'm studying MST121 and MS221 (Oct 2011, exam June 2012) and thinking of starting MST209 in February. So I'll be studying 120 credits for 5 months. It will be horrifically hard work I think but worth it in the end I suppose! Saves me a year of study.

Original post by Moggs

Moggs! How did you find MST209? I've just checked out M208 material (was wanting to do that instead) and it looked horrific! Pure Maths, as much as I love it, don't think I'd be able to cope with that + MS221 + MST121 for 4-5 months.

MST209 looks like a handful but more rewarding as it puts things into real life contexts, am I right? MS221 and MST121 are a little boring at times cos they don't tell you how it relates to real life!!

Anyways off to OU library some point next week to check out the books and see what I would be in for.
Reply 4
Original post by Bleak Lemming
Moggs! How did you find MST209? I've just checked out M208 material (was wanting to do that instead) and it looked horrific! Pure Maths, as much as I love it, don't think I'd be able to cope with that + MS221 + MST121 for 4-5 months.

MST209 looks like a handful but more rewarding as it puts things into real life contexts, am I right? MS221 and MST121 are a little boring at times cos they don't tell you how it relates to real life!!

Anyways off to OU library some point next week to check out the books and see what I would be in for.

Hey matey! Glad to hear it's going well.

I haven't seen M208 yet, so I can't really compare it to MST209. I haven't officially started MST209, but I've been studying for it for a few months now. I'll see you in January/February if you're on the same presentation :smile:

P.S. Sent you an e-mail :cool:
Original post by Moggs
Hey matey! Glad to hear it's going well.

I haven't seen M208 yet, so I can't really compare it to MST209. I haven't officially started MST209, but I've been studying for it for a few months now. I'll see you in January/February if you're on the same presentation :smile:

P.S. Sent you an e-mail :cool:

Wowza! Muchos appreciated. I haven't been on here cos I was procrastinating too much on it! :P

MST209 looks hard. I think there's 28 sections, and only 22 or so in M208 so I'll probably just do M208 this Jan and then MST209 Oct 2013 :l the plan.. (doing NatSci and Maths sort of simultaneously linking 120 of the NatSci creds to the Maths degree ;D)...

Just 'reading your email' and MST209 looks pretty hardcore to be doing at the same time as MS221 and MST121..

I'll send you an email come Jan once i've started M208 :wink: cos it's looking that way.

NOTE: the above may not make sense cos i was on the phone as i wrote it, lol.
Reply 6
Wowza! Muchos appreciated. I haven't been on here cos I was procrastinating too much on it! :P

MST209 looks hard. I think there's 28 sections, and only 22 or so in M208 so I'll probably just do M208 this Jan and then MST209 Oct 2013 :l the plan.. (doing NatSci and Maths sort of simultaneously linking 120 of the NatSci creds to the Maths degree ;D)...

Just 'reading your email' and MST209 looks pretty hardcore to be doing at the same time as MS221 and MST121..

I'll send you an email come Jan once i've started M208 :wink: cos it's looking that way.

NOTE: the above may not make sense cos i was on the phone as i wrote it, lol.

No worries :smile:

We have similar evil plans by the looks of it. I went for MST209 first along with the L1 and two L3 maths modules which go towards engineering. I'll pick up the pure maths while still studying engineering, transfer the maths credits and in theory should end up with both undergrads :cool:

I'd really appreciate any MS208 info once you get started, thanks for that. I'll have to pre-study that as well I reckon.

Are you doing any maths L3's? I might see you on Fluid Mechanics or Waveforms and Diffusion in '12/'13 if so.
Original post by Moggs

We have similar evil plans by the looks of it. I went for MST209 first along with the L1 and two L3 maths modules which go towards engineering. I'll pick up the pure maths while still studying engineering, transfer the maths credits and in theory should end up with both undergrads :cool:

I'd really appreciate any MS208 info once you get started, thanks for that. I'll have to pre-study that as well I reckon.

Are you doing any maths L3's? I might see you on Fluid Mechanics or Waveforms and Diffusion in '12/'13 if so.

S104 done
S104 residential (dunno what its called) done
MST121 finishes May
MS221 finishes June
M208 Feb 2012
S207 Oct 2012
SXR288 Feb 2013
MST209 Oct 2013 + residential
... Then level 3! Electromagnetism & Quantum will be my first modules in Oct 2014 and by then there'll probably be different courses, quite a lot of them are coming to an end soon. I've had a look at some of the books when I done the S104 residential and it was horrifically difficult, probs be dead easy after M208 and MST209 tho :l
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Moggs

Whats your plan of action that you've got left to do?
Reply 9
Whats your plan of action that you've got left to do?

Just another half of engineering to finish, followed by the pure maths side. I'll have to do them together though and link as it goes along, 'cause there's no way I'm paying 5k per year :wink:

MST209, T356 in January followed by MST326, T357 and MS221 (backwards I know =P). That leaves me with the just the project course for engineering, and M208 and three L3's for the maths.
Original post by Moggs
Just another half of engineering to finish, followed by the pure maths side. I'll have to do them together though and link as it goes along, 'cause there's no way I'm paying 5k per year :wink:

MST209, T356 in January followed by MST326, T357 and MS221 (backwards I know =P). That leaves me with the just the project course for engineering, and M208 and three L3's for the maths.

Ohhh not long to go then!..

I'm concerned about this fees business.. I'm going to the regional HQ next week to talk about it, although I dont know how they will react to my question (to save me money)..

I'm aware that to stay on the old fees you need to study 60 credits a year towards your qualification.

I'm wondering if I could do this.

Keep my qualification as NatSci..

S104 completes
MST121 studying
MS221 studying
S207 Oct 2012 (on old fees)
SXP288 Feb 2013 (on old fees)
MST209 Oct 2013 (on old fees).. I don't need this one, but I wonder if I can count it towards my qualification and then drop it before I actually claim my qualification.. and use it towards BSc Mathematics?..
Level 3 Quantum & Electromagnetism (on old fees.. these will count towards maths degre)
Level 3 residential
Another level 3 module, on old fees

So by the time I finish my BSc NatSci, I'll be able to use

MST121 (30), MS221 (30), MST209 (60), M208 (60).. managed to catch this on the old fees! Quantum (30), Electromagnetism (30)

So, 180 Level 1/2 + 60 Level 3, So i'll just have to do 60 level 1 and 60 level 3.. still gona do me for £5,000...

I'm hoping that I can sort out this MST209 business cos I don't wanna be fishing out another £2500 for that.. bloody helll mannn. I'll have to have a play with the figures I think..

Hold up a mo.. just watched the OU fees video thing and have a question.. is there a minimum number of credits you must study towards your qualification each year? or could I get away with studying a short module in a year to keep me on the old fees (whilst, say.. i do 90 creds of physics in a year)

eg do S209 and SXP288 + Level 1 maths.. ?? bahh
Reply 11
Ohhh not long to go then!..

I'm concerned about this fees business.. I'm going to the regional HQ next week to talk about it, although I dont know how they will react to my question (to save me money)..

I'm aware that to stay on the old fees you need to study 60 credits a year towards your qualification.

Really? :eek:

I thought you just had to study a minimum of one module per year towards each qualification. I wasn't aware it was 60.

Have you added both qualifications to your studenthome? I'm not sure how the changes are going to work, so added both maths and eng. and I'm linking them as they go along.

Hold up a mo.. just watched the OU fees video thing and have a question.. is there a minimum number of credits you must study towards your qualification each year? or could I get away with studying a short module in a year to keep me on the old fees (whilst, say.. i do 90 creds of physics in a year)

I thought this was the case. I'll give them a call tomorrow to confirm I think, because if it doesn't include 30 pointers, I gots trouble! I'll check to see what they say about short courses & residentials too and post back. We'll see about plans when we know for sure. I expect you'll still be able to keep to the old fees.
Original post by Moggs
Really? :eek:

I thought you just had to study a minimum of one module per year towards each qualification. I wasn't aware it was 60.

Have you added both qualifications to your studenthome? I'm not sure how the changes are going to work, so added both maths and eng. and I'm linking them as they go along.

I thought this was the case. I'll give them a call tomorrow to confirm I think, because if it doesn't include 30 pointers, I gots trouble! I'll check to see what they say about short courses & residentials too and post back. We'll see about plans when we know for sure. I expect you'll still be able to keep to the old fees.

Phew I think I've just sorted things out for myself.. I think you'll be right in that a minimum of 30 credits must be studies, else everyone would just be doing 10 pointers.

Can you tell me, if say I've for 310 credit towards my BSc Nat Sci.. (and need 50 level 1), can I count a 60 credit level 2 module towards this? I'm sure I can.. If that's the case then I'm safe in that I can do 240 credits of a maths BSc on the old fees.. but I'll then have to do a year of level 3 physics to finish off the Nat Sci.. which means the remaining 60 level 1 creds and 60 level 3 creds will be on the new fees (£5k :'( ).. but hey can't win em all, don't mind paying if I can't avoid it..
Reply 13
Oooh good luck! I'm studying S104 (and S279) at the moment and it's getting really interesting - the first book isn't that great content-wise but they're definitely starting to pick up, there is a little bit of maths in the first couple of books so the maths modules will come in really handy for that, I definitely struggled a bit because I haven't done any maths in 3+ years :smile:
Original post by Apa
Oooh good luck! I'm studying S104 (and S279) at the moment and it's getting really interesting - the first book isn't that great content-wise but they're definitely starting to pick up, there is a little bit of maths in the first couple of books so the maths modules will come in really handy for that, I definitely struggled a bit because I haven't done any maths in 3+ years :smile:

Whats S279? I hated S104.. It was just never ending, and I hate geology and stuff :frown:.. In the end I didn't to my last 2 TMA's cos I had enough to pass! :P
Reply 15
Whats S279? I hated S104.. It was just never ending, and I hate geology and stuff :frown:.. In the end I didn't to my last 2 TMA's cos I had enough to pass! :P

Oh wow - I didn't even realise you could do that! Yeah the first two were really geology based and I know exactly what you mean :P S279 is called "Our dynamic planet." It does have a bit of geology based things in it but it also focuses on how life formed and there a lot of evolutionary things to study which is what I find really interesting. I was going to do "Darwin and Evolution" and "Frozen Planet" but I couldn't get funding for them because they were only 10/15 credit modules :frown:
Original post by Apa
Oh wow - I didn't even realise you could do that! Yeah the first two were really geology based and I know exactly what you mean :P S279 is called "Our dynamic planet." It does have a bit of geology based things in it but it also focuses on how life formed and there a lot of evolutionary things to study which is what I find really interesting. I was going to do "Darwin and Evolution" and "Frozen Planet" but I couldn't get funding for them because they were only 10/15 credit modules :frown:

Ah yea I still had to do the end of module assignment tho! Wish I'd finished it properly like but never mind, at least level 1 modules don't count towards degree classification! :P level 2 sorts the men from the boys..

Doing a level 1 and a level 2 30 credit maths module at the mo and starting my first 60 credit level 2 maths module (M208 pure mathematics) in Feb which is scaring me a lil!
Reply 17
Ah yea I still had to do the end of module assignment tho! Wish I'd finished it properly like but never mind, at least level 1 modules don't count towards degree classification! :P level 2 sorts the men from the boys..

Doing a level 1 and a level 2 30 credit maths module at the mo and starting my first 60 credit level 2 maths module (M208 pure mathematics) in Feb which is scaring me a lil!

Oh god :s-smilie: I couldn't imagine doing maths at undergraduate level. I think I would just be overwhelmed by the amount of numbers :P I still haven't found a real-life application for algebra so that's my defence at the moment. I'm dreading the maths modules I may get at uni!
Reply 18
Can you tell me, if say I've for 310 credit towards my BSc Nat Sci.. (and need 50 level 1), can I count a 60 credit level 2 module towards this? I'm sure I can.. If that's the case then I'm safe in that I can do 240 credits of a maths BSc on the old fees.. but I'll then have to do a year of level 3 physics to finish off the Nat Sci.. which means the remaining 60 level 1 creds and 60 level 3 creds will be on the new fees (£5k :'( ).. but hey can't win em all, don't mind paying if I can't avoid it..

As long as you've completed your NatSci compulsories and the 60 credit L2 falls within the modules that can be counted towards the NatSci degree, you can indeed apply it.

You don't have to stick with even L1 L2 and L3 if you don't want to. The remaining points at any level can be fulfilled by completing either that level, or levels above for undergrad stuff. As it's L1 you're looking at, you have free pick from any NatSci applicable L1, L2 or L3's you fancy :smile:
Original post by Moggs
As long as you've completed your NatSci compulsories and the 60 credit L2 falls within the modules that can be counted towards the NatSci degree, you can indeed apply it.

You don't have to stick with even L1 L2 and L3 if you don't want to. The remaining points at any level can be fulfilled by completing either that level, or levels above for undergrad stuff. As it's L1 you're looking at, you have free pick from any NatSci applicable L1, L2 or L3's you fancy :smile:

I've wrote eeeverything down (now in my spoiler on my sig).. will have to pay 90 creds to my BSc Maths on the new fees, can't grumble at that :biggrin: ahhh can't wait to finish MS221 and MST121 to get onto the good stuff!

PS I've paid for M208 yesterday so should be getting the materials in Jan at some point :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest