The Student Room Group

Useful A Levels to become a Clinical Psychologist

I researched Clinical Psychology and found it to be quite interesting, so I though I would take Psychology and Biology as A Levels.

Now I have to pick two more A Levels.. :s-smilie:

I know with Psychology & Biology there is alot of memorising notes and stuff so I don't want another hard subject that's going to stress me out because I'd rather have two A Levels with good grades than 5 A Levels with C and below.

I like English and writing essays so I thought of picking English, but I'm still not sure. Any suggestions ? Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Your A-levels won't matter when you come to apply for the D.Clin.Psych.

As long as you meet the requirements for entry into a BSc Psych, you're fine.
Reply 2
It doesn't actually matter for the doctrate just maybe for your Bsc. I'm not entirely sure what you'd count as 'hard' subjects- do you mean like chemistry or physics? In which case I wouldn't advise either AS I did along with psych and bio. (chemistry or latin) How about you try maths? It could come in handy when you have to do stats. So:

Psychology
Biology
Maths
English lit/English language

Would be good choices. If you want 5 then pick one more subject you like and are good at. It doesn't matter if it doesn't have anything to do with psychology.
Reply 3
An analysis based subject involving essay writing will be good preparation, such as English Literature. Maths is also good for the statistics element of the Psychology degree.
I was in the same position as you when I chose my a-levels and as long as you meet the requirements of the Bsc Psychology course you want to apply for you will be fine, although it's also good to have a rounded group of subjects :smile:
Reply 4
English Lit sounds good, but Maths is right at the end of my 'Subjects to do for A Level' list lol.
Reply 5
Psychology has coursework and if I a correct for the syllabus we do at my school A2 is essays in the exams, so you get your writing work in here and in your coursework.

Biology does involve notes, BUT it doesn't really have coursework, because any you do needs to be observed in school time, so there isn't really any out of school coursework for it.

If I were you, I'd pick subjects that you enjoy, and that aren't too demanding in coursework, meaning you can concentrate on the ones you need to get in. Like Easykill said, English Lit would probably be a good one, but it does have a lot of coursework so you would need to be organised.

Those three would be very good A Levels, if I were you I would go for something with less coursework if you were to do the above three, say Maths or maybe another science if you felt up to it, it leaves a lot of doors open :smile:
Reply 6
Psychology, Biology and English Lit.
Reply 7
Easykill
An analysis based subject involving essay writing will be good preparation, such as English Literature. Maths is also good for the statistics element of the Psychology degree.
I was in the same position as you when I chose my a-levels and as long as you meet the requirements of the Bsc Psychology course you want to apply for you will be fine, although it's also good to have a rounded group of subjects :smile:

Psychology is an analysis based subject involving essay writing at A-Level.
Maths and Sociology
well i have been looking at doing psychology at a further level.....and clinical psychology sounds good as it seems to paywell and it sounds interesting. My question is what a-levels do i need to do a course at 'uni' for it. Also is the job its self very doctor based or is it just psychologiclly based if you get me???
thanks x:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
googstudent101
well i have been looking at doing psychology at a further level.....and clinical psychology sounds good as it seems to paywell and it sounds interesting. My question is what a-levels do i need to do a course at 'uni' for it. Also is the job its self very doctor based or is it just psychologiclly based if you get me???
thanks x:smile:

To be honest, your A-levels don't matter for the postgraduate study.

For the undergrad, however, I would personally think the best combo would be Psychology, Biology and Statistics.
Reply 12
Psychology, biology, maths and then either chemistry or English lit as a 4th.
sorry to bring up this thread from nearly two years ago, but what subjects did you pick in the end? I am very interested in Clinical Psychology myself, and might pick biology, history and english language.
Reply 14
Same here, i have an interest in clinical psychology although i'm not picking biology, i was thinking of physics, philosophy, psychology and (economics?), well i'm still deciding but what did you pick anyway
Reply 15
What is needed to study clinical psychology at uni?
Original post by Rainbows96
What is needed to study clinical psychology at uni?

You don't study clinical psych as an undergraduate - it's a later course of study. And your A-Levels honestly don't matter for it - you'll already have your BSc and so they'll know you have the skills.

To get onto a general Psychology BSc, it depends on the uni. Many places like at least one science, and Biology is always useful. Maths can be too, but I didn't take it and got 5 offers. As long as you have a B in GCSE Maths and other strong subjects you'll be fine.
Hey,
I'm currently doing my A-levels which are Biology, Media studies, English lit, and Sociology. Could i drop anyone one of these and still continue with the others, I know I'm definitely going to keep biology but the others??? Please help :smile:
Original post by Bosshbaffoe
Hey,
I'm currently doing my A-levels which are Biology, Media studies, English lit, and Sociology. Could i drop anyone one of these and still continue with the others, I know I'm definitely going to keep biology but the others??? Please help :smile:

Yes, you could drop any of these and still have a chance of getting onto a Psychology degree as most courses don't require specific A-levels, however at least one science is preferable as you can link it to Psychology in your personal statement and it gives you a good grounding for the scientific aspects of the degree.

If it were me, out of your subjects I would drop Media Studies and continue with the others, but this depends on your grades.
To be a clinical psychologist can you choose a level
Psychology
English literature
Sociology or French (which one is better) I really don’t want to choose biology or maths is that possible
If I choose sociology will it step me back to fulfill the career of becoming a clinical psychologist, the application form deadline is January please help
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest