The Student Room Group

Architecture courses that don't do Architecture

Just out of interest has anyone in here been on an Architecture course that contained little in the way of designing buildings. I've heard they exist just wonder if anyone on here experienced this during their time in Architecture?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I doubt you'll find any RIBA Part I courses that are like this.
My course and uni, however the final output is always a 'building'.
Reply 3
Original post by yeahyeahyeahs
My course and uni, however the final output is always a 'building'.

Where are you studying now? Westminster?
Original post by malaysiaboy
Where are you studying now? Westminster?

Yes, plus a few others on the forum studies there too. We get taught a very abstract form of architecture where the design concept is based on narrative, it could be something random as a film, graffiti, wedding dress, a pin hole camera, an umbrella, or a flower. my class mates have made random things during their time on the course ranging from baking cakes, sewing wedding dresses, bags, making a chocolate stand, ink experiments in water.
this is then translated into a building later on where you have to do technical detailing and environmental report.

Youre not going to get a course that doesnt design a building, its the final output no matter how conceptual that design is in the beginning.
Reply 5
Yes, plus a few others on the forum studies there too. We get taught a very abstract form of architecture where the design concept is based on narrative, it could be something random as a film, graffiti, wedding dress, a pin hole camera, an umbrella, or a flower. my class mates have made random things during their time on the course ranging from baking cakes, sewing wedding dresses, bags, making a chocolate stand, ink experiments in water.
this is then translated into a building later on where you have to do technical detailing and environmental report.

Youre not going to get a course that doesnt design a building, its the final output no matter how conceptual that design is in the beginning.

Wow. It sounds so interesting to study in Westminster. I like to be more abstract and conceptual when it comes to design. I feel so glad to finally know a student from Westminster. So since you are studying in Westminster, can you explain why is Westminster being ranked much lower than any other schools? http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2011/may/17/university-guide-architecture
I know that Westminster can produce President Medal winners every year, so the quality of the students' works should be of a great standard. And can u tell among GSA, Edinburgh and Cardiff, which school would be using a more conceptual approach in architecture (similar to UCL and Westminster)
Reply 6
Ultimately you need to keep asking yourself - in a world full of redundant architects, do you really want to be the person who is 'high architecture' or the person who knows how to detail and build. Just putting it out there. Ideas are easy to come by, executing them is the tricky part. As you start your career, you need to realise that you're not going to be the one with the 3Bs in your hand sketching out how you think the building should be.
An architecture course that doesn't contain architecture? A BA in French?
Wow. It sounds so interesting to study in Westminster. I like to be more abstract and conceptual when it comes to design. I feel so glad to finally know a student from Westminster. So since you are studying in Westminster, can you explain why is Westminster being ranked much lower than any other schools? http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2011/may/17/university-guide-architecture
I know that Westminster can produce President Medal winners every year, so the quality of the students' works should be of a great standard. And can u tell among GSA, Edinburgh and Cardiff, which school would be using a more conceptual approach in architecture (similar to UCL and Westminster)

I was discussing this with my tutor recently, we're all not really pushed into taking these surveys that determine a number of things that contribute to the rank, this coupled with the fact Westminster is a city ex-poly makes it difficult to rise up the ranks. The Post-grad course is one of the most reputable in the country in our circles, and the undergrad work speaks for itself nowadays. The projects tend to start off as arty fluff then you refine that into architectural details, as yeahyeahyeahs said, the best way to judge the schools are to look at the work they produce.
Reply 9
Original post by GormlessWonder
I was discussing this with my tutor recently, we're all not really pushed into taking these surveys that determine a number of things that contribute to the rank, this coupled with the fact Westminster is a city ex-poly makes it difficult to rise up the ranks. The Post-grad course is one of the most reputable in the country in our circles, and the undergrad work speaks for itself nowadays. The projects tend to start off as arty fluff then you refine that into architectural details, as yeahyeahyeahs said, the best way to judge the schools are to look at the work they produce.

Thank you so much. I think I have just made my mind to place Westminster as my second option after UCL. Is it true that Westminster offer a few full scholarship for those who want to pursue Post Graduate Program? I have forgotten where did I get this information, but I did remember I read about this somewhere. It seems that students from Westminster are mostly happy about their school. (at least so far Westminster students that I have met in Student room are all praising and defending their school.)
Reply 10
Doesn't Westminster kick a large number of students of their Architecture course at the end of the first year?
Original post by Stewie2011
Doesn't Westminster kick a large number of students of their Architecture course at the end of the first year?

Haha, Hmm, this is not going to make me worry. But I am curious about the reason, is this because the school demand alot from students?

It only kicks out those who fail twice. When i mean fail, I mean barely scrapping 30 percent for summer school.
I think its impossible to fail 1st and 2nd year if you took the time and effort to do the work, especially when you can resubmit during the summer. i have yet to go to summer school (touch wood).

The reason why Westminster is ranked poorly is because we dont have the status of the red brick unis but as you said yourself, we win many awards for our students work.

The architecture school is good, however the other courses the Westminster offers are not the best. You wouldn't be studying something like economics at Westminster, you would go somewhere like Durham or LSE.

As I said, architecture at Westminster is an extreme conceptual course a bit like the bartlett, some people can't hack the fact that its very conceptual yet still have to design a building that actually works.
We still cad disable toilets and ramp in our proposals, its not like the whole design will be some blobby shape.
(edited 12 years ago)
Thank you so much. I think I have just made my mind to place Westminster as my second option after UCL. Is it true that Westminster offer a few full scholarship for those who want to pursue Post Graduate Program? I have forgotten where did I get this information, but I did remember I read about this somewhere. It seems that students from Westminster are mostly happy about their school. (at least so far Westminster students that I have met in Student room are all praising and defending their school.)

you can but you need a good academic record of 2.1 and a above, with references to why you deserve the money and contributions you made during your time at westminster.
you can but you need a good academic record of 2.1 and a above, with references to why you deserve the money and contributions you made during your time at westminster.

I am currently studying A Level with a scholarship from the Malaysian government and my degree will be sponsored too. So I definitely need a scholarship for my Part 2 as well. Do you have any idea if there is a bigger amount of Part 2 scholarship offered by Westminster than other schools? Because if starting at Westminster stands a better chance to be awarded a part 2 scholarship, I will have to give better considerations to Westminster. What is your opinion? And I need some comment from someone like you, an architecture student that love abstract and conceptual design, which school could you imagine studying if you are now not at Westminster? GSA, Edinburgh (merged with E College of Art) or Cardiff? I am sorry to ask too much but You can see I need info desperately haha :tongue:
Reply 15
It only kicks out those who fail twice. When i mean fail, I mean barely scrapping 30 percent for summer school.
I think its impossible to fail 1st and 2nd year if you took the time and effort to do the work, especially when you can resubmit during the summer. i have yet to go to summer school (touch wood).

But how many fail or come close to it, I mean particularly in the second and third year a fail or what might in the end amount to a third for your design module could be a disaster. If it mean't you ended up with a third overall it could be more difficult to find employment, particularly within architecture to say the least. Just doesn't seem much point getting grades to get into what many think of as a good school just to be sunk a year or two later by being given a fail or close to it which from what I hear is quite a large proportion of the school. Perhaps better to consider a school that is more positive on the marking front I think.
But how many fail or come close to it, I mean particularly in the second and third year a fail or what might in the end amount to a third for your design module could be a disaster. If it mean't you ended up with a third overall it could be more difficult to find employment, particularly within architecture to say the least. Just doesn't seem much point getting grades to get into what many think of as a good school just to be sunk a year or two later by being given a fail or close to it which from what I hear is quite a large proportion of the school. Perhaps better to consider a school that is more positive on the marking front I think.

I dont know anyone who got a third at architecture at my school, most have either left and failed if you are barely scrapping 40%.

from my studio last year only one person completely failed and got kicked out out of 18 students in one studio and she never turned up for any tutorials, or crits.

i've seen the ****test students still passing as long as they turn up for every tutorial with at least something, literally the tutor will push you do get at least a passing mark.
design equals the same mark as a technical or culture context module in weight, even if you don't do well in design but do better in essays and technical details, you can still come out with a 1st.
I am not afraid of failing. Why should I spend time worrying that I might fail before trying?
I am not afraid of failing. Why should I spend time worrying that I might fail before trying?

you need to get over the fact of failing. maybe take a gap year and work and see how life is so you would 'grow' as a person and mature.

you need to be mentally strong to do architecture, its a long and draining course and you rarely see the 'benefits' or 'rewards' till at least after 6 years of studying.

if you did a levels before, the course is pretty much similar to studying product design, history, english, photography, art and a little bit of engineering all at once.

as for scholarships i dont know much of them, you have to apply in advance and they tend to give it to the brightest student, or those who are bright but had got through university by overcoming personal circumstances, so need the money.

Loads of universities offer then, you dont need to apply for just Westminster as you may not come back here for part 2.
Reply 19
Don't Westminster fail about 60% of people in first year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending