The Student Room Group

Scotland Law Applicants 2012

hiya guys!
fed up wadding through all the other forums trying to find other people applying for the LLB for 2012 entry so i thought i'd make one directly for us! :smile:

where are you applying ?
what grades do you have ?
what you doing this year ?
any work experience etc ?
any particular uni your hoping to get into ?

good luck everyone with your offers and hopefully we'll all get in to where we wanna go! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi!

I'm applying for Law at Edinburgh, Glasgow, Strathclyde and Law with Politics at Glasgow.
I have AAAAA and I'm doing 2 Adv highers, a crash higher.
I have work experience with a solicitor but would love to do some more, struggling to find the time just now!
I love the look of Glasgow, though I've heard that Strathclyde is pretty amazing for law and has great ratings, moving up the rankings while Glasgow moves down. Being accepted for Law at either of the 3 would be a dream!

How about you?
Reply 2
I'm a EU candidate.

where are you applying ? Edinburgh, Strathclyde, Dundee
what grades do you have ? Our scoring system is different. I'm slightly above average, still very, very far from perfect candidate.
what you doing this year ? Nothing that would be in any interest for you : ).
any work experience etc ? No
any particular uni your hoping to get into ? I'd love to be in Strathclyde and Edinburgh, Dundee is something like insurance but still ...

What about your other choices, guys ? Are they law related and where : ) ?
Reply 3
Original post by cbvz57
Hi!

I'm applying for Law at Edinburgh, Glasgow, Strathclyde and Law with Politics at Glasgow.
I have AAAAA and I'm doing 2 Adv highers, a crash higher.
I have work experience with a solicitor but would love to do some more, struggling to find the time just now!
I love the look of Glasgow, though I've heard that Strathclyde is pretty amazing for law and has great ratings, moving up the rankings while Glasgow moves down. Being accepted for Law at either of the 3 would be a dream!

How about you?

well done on 5A's !! , i never studied cause im a bit of a tool so i got AABBB but got a contextual factor haha. im hoping for the best to be honest! I'm doing advanced history, modern studies and english aswell as higher sociology this year.
Im applying to Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee (really dont wanna go there though) , Stirling and RGU. I would go for Glasgow but cause i live there i wanna move away and i also cant be botherd doing the LNAT. You'll get Unconditionals tho :wink: is Strathclyde good for Law ? havent heard much about it to be honest.

Original post by 3PL
I'm a EU candidate.

where are you applying ? Edinburgh, Strathclyde, Dundee
what grades do you have ? Our scoring system is different. I'm slightly above average, still very, very far from perfect candidate.
what you doing this year ? Nothing that would be in any interest for you : ).
any work experience etc ? No
any particular uni your hoping to get into ? I'd love to be in Strathclyde and Edinburgh, Dundee is something like insurance but still ...

What about your other choices, guys ? Are they law related and where : ) ?

aaaw dont worry bout not being the perfect candidate cause im in the same position! where abouts are you from and what attracted you to Scotland ? :smile:
I'm applying to Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee, Robert Gordon and Stirling :smile: might try Strathclyde. i'll have to do a bit of research! :smile:
Reply 4
Bulgaria - so i'm classified as EU candidate - no fees.
My English is far better than my French so naturally it's english speaking country. Denmark was also an option, but I've decided Scotland - never have been there but I guess that it would feel more like "home".

The universities that you've said are pretty much these I was choosing from (I've decided 3 scotts unis and 2 in England).
Aberdeen seems nearly impossible because they want for law the perfect and i really mean the perfect possible score. Robert Gordon looks nice for a new university but it still is new and is in Aberdeen and i think that it'd be too gray and it's norther.
And between Stirling and Strathclyde i've chosen Strathclyde.

Edinburgh would be very hard for me to get in, but i think that i could afford the risk.
Strathclyde is possible.
Dundee is like the most plausible, i mean that if i don't screw something i should get in. : )

But it was hard to choose from unis and cities that you have never been to. Where are you from, I mean city, i saw your flag : )
Reply 5
Original post by 3PL
But it was hard to choose from unis and cities that you have never been to. Where are you from, I mean city, i saw your flag : )

yeah i can imagine! im not applying to england cause of the fee's. and i'm from glasgow! :smile: well its like the countryside outside of glasgow and its quite near stirling aswell haa. Also, what English uni's you applying to ?
where are you applying ?
- Edinburgh, Strathclyde, Aberdeen, Dundee and maybe Glasgow. The LNAT is a bit off-putting because only Glasgow requires it. I just don't know if it's worth it!
- Nothing yet, kinda. :tongue: I'm not from UK, so the system here (Finland) is a quite a bit different. I do have excellent grades from my vocational qualification and general secondary school, but a matriculation exam will play a bigger role (currently waiting for some results and then doing some more exams next spring).
- Finishing my schooling in the vocational school and general secondary school. Quite a workload!
- Nope...
- Edinburgh but we'll see about that.

I'm still currently drafting my PS - a bit late from my planned schedule but I guess I'm still not in hurry. Also I'm trying to contact my homeroom teacher this week to talk about the reference. I'm hoping she'll agree to write it, after all, writing a reference - and in English on top of that - is not something that teachers here often need to do. :redface:

I'm a bit worried, because I haven't had any time for doing anything extra regarding law. After having a 8-21 school day you just really don't feel like grabbing a foreign book about law for leisurely reading. :rolleyes:
Reply 7
Original post by Telo
where are you applying ?
- Edinburgh, Strathclyde, Aberdeen, Dundee and maybe Glasgow. The LNAT is a bit off-putting because only Glasgow requires it. I just don't know if it's worth it!
- Nothing yet, kinda. :tongue: I'm not from UK, so the system here (Finland) is a quite a bit different. I do have excellent grades from my vocational qualification and general secondary school, but a matriculation exam will play a bigger role (currently waiting for some results and then doing some more exams next spring).
- Finishing my schooling in the vocational school and general secondary school. Quite a workload!
- Nope...
- Edinburgh but we'll see about that.

I'm still currently drafting my PS - a bit late from my planned schedule but I guess I'm still not in hurry. Also I'm trying to contact my homeroom teacher this week to talk about the reference. I'm hoping she'll agree to write it, after all, writing a reference - and in English on top of that - is not something that teachers here often need to do. :redface:

I'm a bit worried, because I haven't had any time for doing anything extra regarding law. After having a 8-21 school day you just really don't feel like grabbing a foreign book about law for leisurely reading. :rolleyes:

im wanting to get into Edinburgh to but i doubt i will! , probably will be Aberdeen. I cant believe how good your english is :redface: , i actually would love love love to be bi-lingual. im sure if your grades are excellent then the fact you dont have any work experience wont play a huge part, you just still need to demonstrate an interest like reading law debates in newspapers etc! :smile: im sure you'll be fine :biggrin:
Original post by kirsti
im wanting to get into Edinburgh to but i doubt i will! , probably will be Aberdeen. I cant believe how good your english is :redface: , i actually would love love love to be bi-lingual. im sure if your grades are excellent then the fact you dont have any work experience wont play a huge part, you just still need to demonstrate an interest like reading law debates in newspapers etc! :smile: im sure you'll be fine :biggrin:

Yeah, I heard Edinburgh is hard to get in and law certainly wouldn't be an exception. Academics aside, I was smitten by Edinburgh as a city (although I have to base my opinions on whatever internet tells me); it really seems to be a beautiful place. However, Glasgow and Aberdeen would seem to be fine cities too, so I certainly wouldn't mind at all if ended up there.

Actually, my skills in English are quite limited to written language. Besides occasional touristy chit chat, I've had very limited chances to speak in English which has left me with really Finnish accent and stammering style. This adds up to the reasons why I want to study in the UK - I really want to perfect my English. :biggrin:

And really hoping I'll be fine. I think I'll spend few days going through archived newspapers, that will definitely give some inspiration for the PS. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Telo
Yeah, I heard Edinburgh is hard to get in and law certainly wouldn't be an exception. Academics aside, I was smitten by Edinburgh as a city (although I have to base my opinions on whatever internet tells me); it really seems to be a beautiful place. However, Glasgow and Aberdeen would seem to be fine cities too, so I certainly wouldn't mind at all if ended up there.

Actually, my skills in English are quite limited to written language. Besides occasional touristy chit chat, I've had very limited chances to speak in English which has left me with really Finnish accent and stammering style. This adds up to the reasons why I want to study in the UK - I really want to perfect my English. :biggrin:

And really hoping I'll be fine. I think I'll spend few days going through archived newspapers, that will definitely give some inspiration for the PS. :smile:

Edinburgh is the most beautiful city! all the buildings and even just the feel you get when your there. But in comparison with Glasgow, i think Glasgow wins hands down. im probably biased since i live there though haha! but Glasgow is amazing. Its not as cultured as Edinburgh but the pubs, clubs, shops, everythinggggg is just fantastic! :smile: if i could get into Glasgow uni i definetly would go there. But i guess it depends on what your looking for student experience wise! :smile:

Oh, well thats really brave then if your still up for living over here! :smile: , ive never heard a Finnish accent if im honest, but im sure after a few months your english will dramatically improve! :smile:

How much will you have to pay in fees if you dont mind me asking ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Hello :smile:!

where are you applying ?

Dundee 2x (1 of the choices is politics), napier, edinburgh, stirling.

Im miles behind the other scottish students on this! sitting at 2 A's a B and a D - I suck at chemistry :frown:
Since my school doesnt send much people to uni, you can imagine not much people do advanced highers, so my chosen ones - business and modies - didn't run. So they allowed me to self study higher politics. On top of that I have history, chemistry (resit) and english (which i didnt do last year)
shadowing my local msp helen eadie! not so much related to the legislative branch but did see a lot of examples of law being used/enforced. I also commonly visit the courts.
fingers crossed for edinburgh, cant see it though :frown:! despite me being from a school with low uni acceptances and no one from my family previously going to university (which im told works to my advantage?), i can see me being somewhere such as stirling or dundee!
Original post by kirsti
Edinburgh is the most beautiful city! all the buildings and even just the feel you get when your there. But in comparison with Glasgow, i think Glasgow wins hands down. im probably biased since i live there though haha! but Glasgow is amazing. Its not as cultured as Edinburgh but the pubs, clubs, shops, everythinggggg is just fantastic! :smile: if i could get into Glasgow uni i definetly would go there. But i guess it depends on what your looking for student experience wise! :smile:

Oh, well thats really brave then if your still up for living over here! :smile: , ive never heard a Finnish accent if im honest, but im sure after a few months your english will dramatically improve! :smile:

Glasgow does sound amazing! Both Edinburgh and Glasgow seem to have their own charm; I have no idea which one I'd actually prefer to live in. But yeah, a little bit of bravery will be needed to go through this. It's so easy to just sit here and fill out the UCAS... The reality of moving away will probably hit me later. :biggrin:

Original post by kirsti

How much will you have to pay in fees if you dont mind me asking ?

As an EU student I would get my fees paid by the SAAS. :smile:
Just found this- how exciting :smile:

Applying for Law & French at Glasgow, Strathclyde, Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen.

Got AAAAA at Higher and this year I'm doing AH English and French and crashing Higher Modern Studies.

I've had work experience at the Paisley Sheriff Court and a local solicitor.

I don't have a clue where I want to go to be honest. At the moment I'm just worrying about getting offers in the first place. Good luck to everyone else applying!

Has anyone done the LNAT by any chance?
Hey i'm applying to do Law in 2012. AAAAB (Maths B, English A Modern Studs A French A Physics A). I'm applying to Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen but I ain't too sure what else :-S. I was thinking that because I am doing the LNAT I might put in an application to some English University that also uses the LNAT. I have got some good experience but none with a solicitor. Visited Perth Prison, Citizens advice bureau for a day and went to Fife Drugs Court and Court of Session in Edinburgh. This year I'm doing Biology H, Politics H, Adv H Mod and Adv H Physics. Personal Statement is pretty decent and would reallylove to go to Glasgow =)
Reply 14
Original post by superacooper
I was thinking that because I am doing the LNAT I might put in an application to some English University that also uses the LNAT

I was thinking of doing that, but it would probably really screw up my personal statement (i.e. trying to make it fit both Scots and English Law). Plus, I'd like to be an advocate, and there's no way I could afford to become an English barrister! So I just put Strathclyde as my 5th choice :smile:
Reply 15
Just remembered that I haven't actually posted in this thread yet!...

where are you applying? Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Dundee, Strathclyde
what grades do you have? AAAAB
what you doing this year? AH History, AH Modern Studies, AH Economics
any work experience etc? A week with an advocate and a week with an MSP
any particular uni your hoping to get into? Aberdeen - it's a beautiful campus, the people at the open day were really friendly, and it's really good for law. The perfect combo! :biggrin:
Reply 16
Alright guys I've got English -A history -A physics -A maths - B chemistry-B and am applying to strathclyde Dundee and Aberdeen for definites. Considering applying for Glasgow and Edinburgh but what are the chances of either of these UNOs making a conditional offer?
Reply 17
Hey!

where are you applying ? Strathclyde, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee (and Glasgow for History).

what grades do you have ? Maths-A, English-A, History-A, Chemistry-A and Biology-B.

what you doing this year ? AH History, AH Chemistry and crashing AH Modern Studies.

any work experience etc ? a solicitors in glasgow, court of session in Edinburgh, the high court in Edinburgh and the sheriff court in Glasgow.

any particular uni your hoping to get into ? I would like to go to Edinburgh, but I have an unconditional for Strathclyde, Aberdeen and Glasgow.

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by Mark3099
Hey!

where are you applying ? Strathclyde, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee (and Glasgow for History).

what grades do you have ? Maths-A, English-A, History-A, Chemistry-A and Biology-B.

what you doing this year ? AH History, AH Chemistry and crashing AH Modern Studies.

any work experience etc ? a solicitors in glasgow, court of session in Edinburgh, the high court in Edinburgh and the sheriff court in Glasgow.

any particular uni your hoping to get into ? I would like to go to Edinburgh, but I have an unconditional for Strathclyde, Aberdeen and Glasgow.

Hope this helps :biggrin:

You're one of these people I fear from :biggrin:. Seriously ...
Reply 19
I attained AABBB in Modern Studies, RMPS, English, Human Biology and Economics; as well as that, I have a strong personal statement and two good work experience placements... Would it be fair to say I have an outside chance of a conditional? My predicted grades this year are AB in AH RMPS and English, and AA in Higher Philosophy and Higher History - both crashes.

Quick Reply

Latest