The Student Room Group

Where can I buy some lifting shoes?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rlw31
Posts 4 and 6 should answer your questions.

Original post by HFerguson
some sort of synthetic polymer, its the same stuff used for some handgun grips. Heel is about 1.25 inches I think. Theyre not the best you can buy, but for only £90 I think they're a damn good entry level lifting shoe

Thank you ladies and gentlemen.

Regarding the heel height, I mean the effective height, as in the distance between the top of the heel and the toe. I know with my Ironworks it is 1", with the total heel of 1.25". Could you measure them again please? Thanks.

Also, anyone know where to get Nike Romaleos from?
Reply 21
Original post by Smack
Thank you ladies and gentlemen.

Regarding the heel height, I mean the effective height, as in the distance between the top of the heel and the toe. I know with my Ironworks it is 1", with the total heel of 1.25". Could you measure them again please? Thanks.

Also, anyone know where to get Nike Romaleos from?

R.e. the Nikes, my weightlifting coach just bought some and he HATES them because he thinks the heel is too high compared to Adidas. He reckons they push him forwards onto his toes, making him lose his balance. He wants me to buy him some Adidas ones from the UK and he's going to sell the Nikes.
Reply 22
what you should have said is "where can I pick up some lifting shoes?"
Original post by Becca
R.e. the Nikes, my weightlifting coach just bought some and he HATES them because he thinks the heel is too high compared to Adidas. He reckons they push him forwards onto his toes, making him lose his balance. He wants me to buy him some Adidas ones from the UK and he's going to sell the Nikes.

That's odd, I'd heard that the heel height on the Nikes are 3/4" - which is lower than current Adidas shoes, and in fact the lowest of any current commercially available shoe!

Thanks for the heads up though. Maybe he uses old, old Adidas ones. There's an old weightlifter in my gym who's got a pair and their heels seem very low.
Original post by Becca

If he's used to a smaller heel and has performed thousands of squats, snatches and cleans etc in a smaller heeled shoe, then his body will be used to those shoes and his cerebellar motor engram will be for that heel height. He could stick with the romaeloes but it would take hundreds of reps to reset the motor engram.
Reply 25
Original post by Smack
That's odd, I'd heard that the heel height on the Nikes are 3/4" - which is lower than current Adidas shoes, and in fact the lowest of any current commercially available shoe!

Thanks for the heads up though. Maybe he uses old, old Adidas ones. There's an old weightlifter in my gym who's got a pair and their heels seem very low.

Original post by HFerguson
If he's used to a smaller heel and has performed thousands of squats, snatches and cleans etc in a smaller heeled shoe, then his body will be used to those shoes and his cerebellar motor engram will be for that heel height. He could stick with the romaeloes but it would take hundreds of reps to reset the motor engram.

Fair point. His last 2 pairs were the model Adidas designed for Athens 2004 so it's probably that. He did also say that the Nikes are really narrow at the toe.
Just wondering where he got his nike shoes from?? Were they imported/how much were they (in £).

What size is he/has he sold em yet?

Original post by Becca
Fair point. His last 2 pairs were the model Adidas designed for Athens 2004 so it's probably that. He did also say that the Nikes are really narrow at the toe.
Reply 27
Original post by redbuthotter
Just wondering where he got his nike shoes from?? Were they imported/how much were they (in £).

What size is he/has he sold em yet?

He bought them from the US...I have no idea how much! He's not sold them yet. He's still "checking to see if hates them enough"...I just bought him some Adistar 08s so maybe he'll finally put the Nikes up for sale after Christmas. I reckon he'll be looking for a sale in Norwegian Kroner rather than pounds though...He's a UK 9 though if you're that interested :p:
lol fair play, if you could find out where he bought them from that'd be great (+ shipping and handling times). I found 1 site already but they have limited sizes/prices are f-ing expensive.

Thanks!
Original post by Becca
He bought them from the US...I have no idea how much! He's not sold them yet. He's still "checking to see if hates them enough"...I just bought him some Adistar 08s so maybe he'll finally put the Nikes up for sale after Christmas. I reckon he'll be looking for a sale in Norwegian Kroner rather than pounds though...He's a UK 9 though if you're that interested :p:
Reply 29
Haha, lifting shoes, now I've heard everything. What happened to just working out? Now people are pussies and they need weight lifting belts, gloves and now special shoes? Hahahahaha.
Reply 30
Original post by Yarpie
Haha, lifting shoes, now I've heard everything. What happened to just working out? Now people are pussies and they need weight lifting belts, gloves and now special shoes? Hahahahaha.

Yeah what a pussy...
Reply 31
Original post by Becca

Yeah what a pussy...

I can do 200kg x 5 without any of that stuff. No one that I know uses equipment like that. It isn't necessary and just confirms our consumerist culture.
Reply 32
Squat I should say, I thought that was what we were talking about anyway.
Reply 33
Original post by Yarpie
I can do 200kg x 5 without any of that stuff. No one that I know uses equipment like that. It isn't necessary and just confirms our consumerist culture.

No one on the planet can snatch 200kg x5...if you're going to lie at least have half an ounce of knowledge on what you're talking about.
Reply 34
Original post by Yarpie
Squat I should say, I thought that was what we were talking about anyway.

What's that stuff, he's wearing a shoe with a slight heel raise, your trainers will most likely have a slight heel raise unless converse or something similar. He's not got a belt on and no one believes you about your squats.
Reply 35
Original post by Yarpie

Some people want shoes to squat, all weightlifters use them. Having shoes allows you to properly train a wider variety of (extremely technical) lifts than just squats. Pretty sure Klokov could do 200x5 without a belt or shoes as well.
Why post a logical, well thought out answer to someone who is either a troll or a complete idiot?

Original post by Becca
Some people want shoes to squat, all weightlifters use them. Having shoes allows you to properly train a wider variety of (extremely technical) lifts than just squats. Pretty sure Klokov could do 200x5 without a belt or shoes as well.
I just squat and dead bare foot, can't be assed buying special shoes etc.
Shoes just came in. A bit tight around the middle but otherwise fine. Will see how well they do tomorrow.
Original post by alex_tait
Shoes just came in. A bit tight around the middle but otherwise fine. Will see how well they do tomorrow.

What kind of shoes did you get eventually?

Anyway they're better tight. They're not meant to be comfortable.

Quick Reply

Latest