The Student Room Group

how to become a perfusionist

Hey everyone, i was just wondering who is thinking of becoming a perfusionist? I have recently graduated with a 2:1 in biomedical sciences and think a career as a perfusionist is for me. The problem i am having is that i am unsure where to begin, for example, i know that i must first secure a trainee perfusionist job with the NHS and be looking to join a MSc in perfusion science at NESCOT but what one whould i aim for first? is there a paticular time trainee perfusionist vaccancies become avaliable or is it random? what kind of experience is benefitial in trying to become a perfusionist? is it possible to shadow a perfusionist?

If there are any people here who have recently become trainee perfusionists i would be very greatful if you could share your experiences!

Thank you
Reply 1
o and also i forgot to ask if i can become a perfusionist via the STP (scientist training programme)? i have talked to NHS careers who themselves seemed confused lol
Original post by singh-1
Hey everyone, i was just wondering who is thinking of becoming a perfusionist? I have recently graduated with a 2:1 in biomedical sciences and think a career as a perfusionist is for me. The problem i am having is that i am unsure where to begin, for example, i know that i must first secure a trainee perfusionist job with the NHS and be looking to join a MSc in perfusion science at NESCOT but what one whould i aim for first? is there a paticular time trainee perfusionist vaccancies become avaliable or is it random? what kind of experience is benefitial in trying to become a perfusionist? is it possible to shadow a perfusionist?

If there are any people here who have recently become trainee perfusionists i would be very greatful if you could share your experiences!

Thank you

Hey there I have been looking into clinical perfusion myself.
From what I have read, you just wait for a trainee post to become available via nhs jobs and apply.
Apparently it's the same sort of structure as clinical scientist training, you have to get a qualification form the royal college of clinical perfusionists too.
I'm guessing that jobs become available at the same time as clinical scientists, I think it's August/September.
I'm gonna tag along because I could use some info too!

So what attracts you to clinical perfusion?
Reply 3
i like the idea of a large amount of responsibility and id like to be a part of surgery too, you? Are there any things that you think will be benefitial when applying for a trainee position? any experience etc? thanks
Reply 4
Im also a biomedical science graduate looking into the possibility of taking up perfusion science as a career path. So Hi ... =D

you asked which one you should do first, get employed as trainee perfusionist or MSc in clinical perfusion. But from the research i've done i think you first need to be employed before you are even considered for the MSc? Do u have the same conclusion?

Im also now looking into what extra experiences would put me in an advantageous position to apply for a trainee perfusionist job. Will let you know what i find =D
It seems like a not very well known job! I'm currently doing my ibms portfolio year in a haematology lab and not many staff have heard of clinical perfusionist training!
I guess lots of knowledge about what the job entails and some good work experience would be an advantage!
I like the idea of having a pressurised role and lots of responsibility, without the heart-lung machine many surgical procedures wouldn't be possible. Actually having to assemble and operate it, playing an important role in helping a patient is really thrilling. Not forgetting all the science involved and all the possible research opportunities :tongue:
Reply 6
your doing your IBMS portfolio? Not sure whether you mind me asking...... because as you may know i also have the choice of becoming a biomedical scientist. So did you also do a biomedical science non-accredited degree? did you enter as a band 5 position? or at another band?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Hey guys, i stumbled across this website when researching about perfusionists. I think you'll find it useful if your thinking of becoming a perfusionist.

http://humanfactory.caret.cam.ac.uk/careers/perfusionist.html
Original post by PRO8ENINE*
your doing your IBMS portfolio? Not sure whether you mind me asking...... because as you may know i also have the choice of becoming a biomedical scientist. So did you also do a biomedical science non-accredited degree? did you enter as a band 5 position? or at another band?

Its the sandwich year of my IBMS accredited degree. I'm currently being paid on a band 5 before returning to do my final year of uni, and come graduation I'll be HPC registered and ready to start as a band 5 BMS grade 1. But I'm quite fancying clinical perfusion :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by Jack7Richards

Original post by Jack7Richards
Its the sandwich year of my IBMS accredited degree. I'm currently being paid on a band 5 before returning to do my final year of uni, and come graduation I'll be HPC registered and ready to start as a band 5 BMS grade 1. But I'm quite fancying clinical perfusion :tongue:

I see. Are you enjoying biomedical scientist so far? You don't want to carry on being a biomedical scientist? or does a clinical perfusionist appeal to you more.
Original post by PRO8ENINE*
I see. Are you enjoying biomedical scientist so far? You don't want to carry on being a biomedical scientist? or does a clinical perfusionist appeal to you more.

I'm just looking at what other careers are available to me other than NHS lab work.
Did you manage to secure a place with NESCOT in the end? I've just graduated 2.1 biomedical science also, with a placement year where I completed my registration portifolio, however clinical perfusion appeals to me also !
hey guys, I am a perfusionist and to clarify a few things:

always try to visit depts that your interested in applying to as well as just visit depts in general and write this up in personal statements including all procedures you have observed

you cannot do the NESCOT course without having a post as a trainee at an accreditated centre

for one post at least 200 applicants apply. dont be discouraged
Original post by niffypot
hey guys, I am a perfusionist and to clarify a few things:

always try to visit depts that your interested in applying to as well as just visit depts in general and write this up in personal statements including all procedures you have observed

you cannot do the NESCOT course without having a post as a trainee at an accreditated centre

for one post at least 200 applicants apply. dont be discouraged

Hey, given that you are a perfusionist, I wanted to reassure myself by asking you a few questions.

I graduated with a 2:2 and I know that means I would not even be considered for the post. However, I am currently working part-time as a Healthcare Trainee Partner of McKesson at LloydsPharmacy and have an interview this Thursday as a Palliative Care Support Service (PCSS) Healthcare Assistant Trainee tomorrow (falling under Band 2). I know the MSC in perfusion science would be an academically rigorous course and so would the training itself, and hence I can understand why it would necessary that whoever does apply meets the minimum degree requirement. However I have a letter from a private GP that I recieved during the exam period of my final year, explaining how my ability to prepare for my exams were affected by the anxiety that I had developed.

So my question is, could you tell me frankly, irrespective of how much evidence of professional development I have acquired post-grad, and my medical letter - is it impossible for me to considered for a trainee clinical perfusionist post (amongst the 200 applicants that apply)
Hello, I am currently in the first year of my biomedical degree. I chose the three year course, and not doing IBMS portfolio. Do I need the portfolio to apply for trainee perfusionist?
Reply 15
hello! I know this is a long time later but where are you guys with your careers now? I have a biomedical science degree!
Original post by emsy06
hello! I know this is a long time later but where are you guys with your careers now? I have a biomedical science degree!

Hiya! I don’t think any of the users are active anymore so is probably best to set up your own thread about it :h:
Good morning, I have just received an offer to be come a trainee perfusionist. You take up the position of employment first and then you are enrolled on the MSc at Bristol. In terms of how to prepare for the interview process and things. I actually worked as a theatre support worker in cardiac theatres for a year after I finished my masters degree. This was the main element that made me stand out at interview, as mentioned previously I would try and visit and gain as much experience in a surgical environment as you can. As for how many times people applied I applied to be a perfusionist 3 times with success on the 3rd attempt. KEEP PLUGGING GUYS!!!
Original post by Mark_vernon1
Good morning, I have just received an offer to be come a trainee perfusionist. You take up the position of employment first and then you are enrolled on the MSc at Bristol. In terms of how to prepare for the interview process and things. I actually worked as a theatre support worker in cardiac theatres for a year after I finished my masters degree. This was the main element that made me stand out at interview, as mentioned previously I would try and visit and gain as much experience in a surgical environment as you can. As for how many times people applied I applied to be a perfusionist 3 times with success on the 3rd attempt. KEEP PLUGGING GUYS!!!

Hi Mark, I am currently final year of my nursing course and hoping to get a job in a cardiology care unit, and hopefully after a year of experience look into applying for a trainee perfusionist position. Do you know any people in your course who have a background in nursing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending