The Student Room Group

Is it OK for a girl to dress like a boy?

I'm a girl and I find it weird when I walk down the street and see guys dressed similar or exactly the same as me. I don't know why.. it just annoys me for some reason? I dunno. I guess it's because I live in an area and go to a college where 99% of the girls tend to dress in the same clothes.. like those smart kinda trousers, floral tops, the usual primark crap, etc.. I mean it is a nice style and all, it's just everyone seems to be copying each other? and everyone looks the same, and buys the same things from the same shop (primark). I swear I saw about 10 girls wearing the same trousers in 1 day lol.

But that isn't my problem. They can wear what they want.. It's just I feel a bit too different than everyone else. I mean, I like being different, but at the same time I feel a bit self conscious for some reason, and it don't know why. I think I sometimes feel that girls might think I'm weird or something? Because my sister often comments on what I wear by saying stuff like "why do you dress like a boy" or "you look like a burglar" lol.

I only wear stuff like skinny jeans, hoodies, or plain tops. But I have noticed I wear a bit too much black lol. But I feel more comfortable in black..

I don't really know what I'm trying to ask but it's just this whole issue kinda bothers me sometimes.. But I guess when I go to uni, I'll meet different people and hopefully I wont be that different to everyone else..?

What do you think about girls dressing kinda boy-ish?

Also, I have this black blazer, which I wear with my skinny jeans. But I've noticed a lot of guys wear these kinda clothes and I dunno... I just don't wanna look stupid.. Would it look stupid?? On a girl?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You won't look stupid for wearing 'boyish' clothes. It's quite sexist but girls can wear virtually any 'boyish' clothes and not look 'different', it's not the same as a guy wearing 'girly' clothes.

And at my uni, at least 50% of girls wear the clothes you described as 'boyish' on any given day, so you won't stand out. Don't worry about it. Wear what you want.
Reply 2
I think girls in boy fashion can look cool! I do it sometimes :smile: Wear what you like :smile:
Its fine...

Your life, your choices :smile:

I totally wanna try making a guy dress up as a girl though... Wig and make up etc...
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a girl and I find it weird when I walk down the street and see guys dressed similar or exactly the same as me. I don't know why.. it just annoys me for some reason? I dunno. I guess it's because I live in an area and go to a college where 99% of the girls tend to dress in the same clothes.. like those smart kinda trousers, floral tops, the usual primark crap, etc.. I mean it is a nice style and all, it's just everyone seems to be copying each other? and everyone looks the same, and buys the same things from the same shop (primark). I swear I saw about 10 girls wearing the same trousers in 1 day lol.

But that isn't my problem. They can wear what they want.. It's just I feel a bit too different than everyone else. I mean, I like being different, but at the same time I feel a bit self conscious for some reason, and it don't know why. I think I sometimes feel that girls might think I'm weird or something? Because my sister often comments on what I wear by saying stuff like "why do you dress like a boy" or "you look like a burglar" lol.

I only wear stuff like skinny jeans, hoodies, or plain tops. But I have noticed I wear a bit too much black lol. But I feel more comfortable in black..

I don't really know what I'm trying to ask but it's just this whole issue kinda bothers me sometimes.. But I guess when I go to uni, I'll meet different people and hopefully I wont be that different to everyone else..?

Also, I have this black blazer, which I wear with my skinny jeans. But I've noticed a lot of guys wear these kinda clothes and I dunno... I just don't wanna look stupid.. Would it look stupid?? On a girl?

Literally wear whatever you want and **** what anyone else thinks. If they're decent people and they get to know you and decide they like you, they won't care what you're wearing. If they don't like you, they don't like you. And if they don't even make the effort to get to know you, but just judge you by what you wear, they're not worth knowing anyway.

There's a girl on my course who dresses like a guy, in clothes most girls don't wear, clothes I definitely don't wear anyway. But tbh I think she looks cool and respect her style and anyway, she's a nice girl.
Reply 5
Yes it's fine.
Reply 6
I've seen people attend lectures in pyjamas, and once there was a guy dressed as a turkey (a cooked turkey, full on massive costume after losing a bet)- you're not going to stand out for wearing 'boyish' clothes.
I generally prefer how girls look when they dress in jeans / hoodies etc - it gives the impression that they're more grounded and less bitchy :biggrin:

Most of my female friends shun the excessive makeup / flowery clothes stuff
There's a few girls who wear boyish clothes at my uni - hot as anything, total lesbians though :frown:
Reply 9
It's fine. :smile:

Original post by BaBaFiCo
There's a few girls who wear boyish clothes at my uni - hot as anything, total lesbians though :smile:

Fixed that for you.
Reply 10
I wear it sometimes, boy fashion is so much more comfortable!
I think it's totally OK, style is an individual thing & if its what you like then don't listen to what other people think, :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Hazular
I've seen people attend lectures in pyjamas, and once there was a guy dressed as a turkey (a cooked turkey, full on massive costume after losing a bet)- you're not going to stand out for wearing 'boyish' clothes.

:rofl: haha classic!
Reply 12
Girls in skinny jeans, a check shirt and Converse are just. :drool: Mainly cos' they pull it off whilst still looking feminine, like a tighter fitting shirt than a man would wear, 'girly' jeans etc.

I think it is possible for you to dress like a boy and still remain feminine.

If you're not particularly bothered about being seen as feminine then go and wear whatever you like and don't worry about what people think, as long as you're comfortable then that is all that matters.
Reply 13
Some girls look hot in Baggy jumpers and Joggers.
You gotta make it work hun :yep:
Original post by Architecture-er
I generally prefer how girls look when they dress in jeans / hoodies etc - it gives the impression that they're more grounded and less bitchy :biggrin:

Most of my female friends shun the excessive makeup / flowery clothes stuff

So true. The dolled up ones are always the bitchy ones. The hoodie + jeans ones are unanimously nice to talk to.

and OP I see what you say a bout all girls looking the same. I swear I see countless girls in the black skinny jeans, black cardigan, black flat shoes and maybe a different colour (if not black) top combo. It's like living in a computer game :s-smilie:
Original post by Dorito
Girls in skinny jeans, a check shirt and Converse are just. :drool: Mainly cos' they pull it off whilst still looking feminine, like a tighter fitting shirt than a man would wear, 'girly' jeans etc.

The skinny jeans, check shirt and converse outfit IS feminine.
Original post by JordanR

Fixed that for you.

What was wrong with it?
It's OK if you'[re comfortable in it, yeah.
Reply 18
Original post by Anonymous

I think you'll find you're probably wearing normal girl clothes and that the boys are wearing the girly clothes.

What has the world come to.
Reply 19
Of course it is :smile: Dress how you like! I'm a girl, but I'd rather be friends with a girl who dresses less girly because it seems like the ones who have all the makeup and heels are the bitchy insincere ones.. (no offence to anyone :lol:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending