The Student Room Group

How can I appeal against a university rejection?

So I logged into track today to discover My application to study Criminology and Sociology at Leeds Metropolitan university has been unsuccessful. So I looked at the decision letter and the reason they gave was 'you are not predicted to meet the entry requirements for this course'. The level of UCAS points required for the course is 240. My predicted A2 grades are A in Sociology, B in Media, C in General Studies and I already have a grade D in A2 Psychology. I believe my predicted points score adds up to 280, and 360 if I include General Studies.

I am fuming because for them to say my predicted grades do not meet the entry requirements is wrong. I double checked I have all the other qualifications required such as GCSEs too. I have written an email to the admissions department asking for a more detailed reason for my rejection, but I would also like to appeal against the decision and I have no idea how to do this or how to approach the university about it. Can anyone help me?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do they ask that you have a certain A level or grade in said A level?
Original post by DramaQueenMegan
So I logged into track today to discover My application to study Criminology and Sociology at Leeds Metropolitan university has been unsuccessful. So I looked at the decision letter and the reason they gave was 'you are not predicted to meet the entry requirements for this course'. The level of UCAS points required for the course is 240. My predicted A2 grades are A in Sociology, B in Media, C in General Studies and I already have a grade D in A2 Psychology. I believe my predicted points score adds up to 280, and 360 if I include General Studies.

I am fuming because for them to say my predicted grades do not meet the entry requirements is wrong. I double checked I have all the other qualifications required such as GCSEs too. I have written an email to the admissions department asking for a more detailed reason for my rejection, but I would also like to appeal against the decision and I have no idea how to do this or how to approach the university about it. Can anyone help me?

They can reject you on any grounds. It sucks i know, 'tis the way it goes. You win some, you lose some...

dont worry though, you have 4 other choices so its good
1) Leeds met rejects people?

2) Leeds met is so bad their staff cant even add up UCAS points?

OP I say it is a sign that you should aim for a better uni.
This is what it says on the website for that course (link):

Additional Requirements: Applicants should normally have studied at least one A level (or equivalent award) in a subject where assessment includes extensive discursive assignments such as English, English Literature, History, Psychology, Religious Studies, Philosophy, Geography and Classical Civilisation.

I would guess that potentially they've rejected you on the basis of that but couldn't say for certain. Granted you did psychology but you've already finished it and got a D, so maybe they aren't counting it :dontknow:
Reply 5

perhaps they don't regard General Studies?

perhaps they want 240 points in 3 predicted subjects and they discounted General studies?

just some ideas, I don't know.

I'd say definitely get some advice from your teachers before you take any action. May well have been a mistake.
I'd email them and ask.
But tbh it might have been because they don't count general studies because that's not an accepted course practically anywhere.
Hmm i'm not sure they would have rejected me due to the fact I do General Studies, as I already have one full A level in Psychology and will have full A levels in Sociology and Media by summer which are all accepted, giving me 3 A levels which the points are accepted from. 3 of the unis I have applied to including Sheffield Hallam, Hull and Salford accept General Studies and all have entry requirements of 280 points, I have had conditional offers from Hull and Sheffield hallam and I am still waiting to hear from Salford. I have also had a conditional offer from Teesside which doesn't accept General Studies but has the same points requirement as Leeds met. I find it strange to be honest how I have got into Hull which is probably the hardest of my choices to get into but not Leeds met. I am wondering if they have made a mistake, but I don't know if thats even possible. I am very dissappointed though as I wanted to put Leeds met as my insurance choice :\ xx
Reply 8
Original post by Pride

Original post by Pride
perhaps they don't regard General Studies?

perhaps they want 240 points in 3 predicted subjects and they discounted General studies?

just some ideas, I don't know.

I'd say definitely get some advice from your teachers before you take any action. May well have been a mistake.

The dude has a point. Many courses don't accept General Studies as a qualification. But have you received a reply from the email you sent?

Wait until they reply.
Reply 10
If you have got into the other three or four courses (based of course on your results), I don't think it matters as much about Leeds. If Leeds was only going to be your backup anyway then why don't you just choose from the three from whom you have the offers from?
The uni will reply to you to say why they rejected you so until then I think you should just concentrate on your studies - you won't be going anywhere if you don't get your grades!
I am considering Teesside for my insurance choice now however I would still prefer to go to Leeds met as its far easier for me to get to from my hometown (Hull), I think I will just see what they say then consider based on that whether its worth appealing against. I can't really put Hull or Sheffield Hallam as my insurance choice as they are the two with the highest entry requirements, so it makes more sense to put one of those as my firm choice.
Reply 12
There is no official appeal procedure. Wait and see what they say to your email . Also review your application - if you left anything out you can tell them.
That sucks, you've still got four others though! It's up to them who they reject though :frown:
This is why predicted grades are kinda scummy.
Reply 15
Many unis reject General Studies
Many unis don't count A levels not taken at one sitting.

Although I'm surprised leeds met is being so picky!
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
I'd email them and ask.
But tbh it might have been because they don't count general studies because that's not an accepted course practically anywhere.

you'd be surprised, University of Liverpool included it as part of my offer :P
Reply 17

You can't appeal. They think those predictions are unrealistic and that your school is overestimating you.
Original post by TitchTheAntiHero
you'd be surprised, University of Liverpool included it as part of my offer :P

Ooh, okay. I didn't know they'd take it. (I've rarely heard of somewhere good like that taking G.S).
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
(I've rarely heard of somewhere good like that taking G.S).

Its a point I've made before, but universities are all trying to get the best candidates they can. They are not trying to form an orderly queue in league table order behind Oxbridge. Therefore, by taking general studies, a university has a USP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending