The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EEngWillow
AWESOME! We had a really lovely time eating and praying together :-)
...only a few months until I'm back living here!

Yay glad you had good time! a week today I'll be home. So looking forward to seeing parents. Never get homesick but I just really want to hang with my parents and tell them how awesome they are at the minute :colondollar:
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Yay glad you had good time! a week today I'll be home. So looking forward to seeing parents. Never get homesick but I just really want to hang with my parents and tell them how awesome they are at the minute :colondollar:

I've never had a bad time in Guildford! :smile: Apparently I'm going to be serving the mulled wine tomorrow night which I wasn't aware of until tonight though!

Yeah, I get the same sometimes - although after 6 months of living with them again I can say I'm well and truly hung-out and just want to escape again! How long do you have off over Christmas?
I've never had a bad time in Guildford! :smile: Apparently I'm going to be serving the mulled wine tomorrow night which I wasn't aware of until tonight though!

Yeah, I get the same sometimes - although after 6 months of living with them again I can say I'm well and truly hung-out and just want to escape again! How long do you have off over Christmas?

3 weeks off...although I think 5 days of that is Christmas Houseparty (including over my mum's birthday which sucks...)

Anyway, bed for meeeee
3 weeks off...although I think 5 days of that is Christmas Houseparty (including over my mum's birthday which sucks...)

Anyway, bed for meeeee

I only get a week off work, and two days of that come from my annual leave :frown:

Niiiiight!
Original post by tasha96
I live in Central Scotland in the Falkirk area. :cool:
Oh yes.

Oooh that is so cool! I went to the capital when I was 5 one word: cold (brr) lol I considered for a brief moment going to university there...then I found out lovely Scotland charges us English fees o_O
I only get a week off work, and two days of that come from my annual leave :frown:

Niiiiight!

The real world of work...scary! This is why I might consider being a teacher, merely so that I can get decent holidays.

Original post by Millie_2951
Oooh that is so cool! I went to the capital when I was 5 one word: cold (brr) lol I considered for a brief moment going to university there...then I found out lovely Scotland charges us English fees o_O

Don't know what their fees are like now, but when I got in it's only 1820 a year, which is SO much cheaper than England (this was pre fee rise so no idea what happened after!)
But yes, it is cold.

Yeah it's certainly cold!
Mm we do charge fees for English students but then so does England. Besides, we couldn't give everyone a free place! There just isn't enough money. It's not done out of meaness!:smile:
The real world of work...scary! This is why I might consider being a teacher, merely so that I can get decent holidays.

Morning sleepyhead :tongue:
It's a bit of a shock to me too after the amount of free time you have at Uni (ok, not always 'free' time, but fairly laid-back...). Can't wait for proper holidays again!

I'm looking at PGCEs at the moment actually...although it's a few years before I have to apply...

Anywaaay, popping to 'Spoons to meet a friend for lunch. Ciaaao!

EDIT: Pray for our carol service, cheers!
It's a bit of a shock to me too after the amount of free time you have at Uni (ok, not always 'free' time, but fairly laid-back...). Can't wait for proper holidays again!

I'm looking at PGCEs at the moment actually...although it's a few years before I have to apply...

Mmm, 'Spoons :teeth:

Prayer said for the carol service :yes:

I'd love to have the holidays that teachers have but I'm not cut out to be a teacher. This is part of the motivation for giving academia a shot. It's also a mental health-friendly career (well, compared to others). So many of my tutors at Oxford had some kind of mental health problem so if they can do it, I'm sure I can :smile:

Yum spoons! Although there is a pub on my road called The Old Schoolhouse which I love because it's like spoons, but more individual :h:

Shall be praying, hope all goes well!

Don't know what their fees are like now, but when I got in it's only 1820 a year, which is SO much cheaper than England (this was pre fee rise so no idea what happened after!)
But yes, it is cold.

Serious?! :O When did you get in? A year ago?
Original post by tasha96
Yeah it's certainly cold!
Mm we do charge fees for English students but then so does England. Besides, we couldn't give everyone a free place! There just isn't enough money. It's not done out of meaness!:smile:

True but its odd foreign students pay less (so I've heard) and in Ireland you pay a registration fee (1,200 euros) then nothing else. Sigh, our generation have it tough..
Serious?! :O When did you get in? A year ago?

2 years ago...woah it's scary how long ago it was...
Reply 9173
2 years ago...woah it's scary how long ago it was...

Wow. That's true, it's been two years! Scary!

Did you have a good night last night? Nice to bump into you!
Original post by d123
Wow. That's true, it's been two years! Scary!

Did you have a good night last night? Nice to bump into you!

Yeah sorry couldn't stop to chat, we were running incredibly late for the gig! Was epic though, SUCH A GOOD NIGHT!! Plus even though we arrived an hour after doors opened we got a decent spot in crowd :yep:
True but its odd foreign students pay less (so I've heard) and in Ireland you pay a registration fee (1,200 euros) then nothing else. Sigh, our generation have it tough..

Ah that's all to do with what you can and can't charge students depending on if they are EU/Non EU. And then some countries governments will pay different amounts of their citizens Higher education fees. And then it all gets even more complicated because English students are still classed as home students even though education is a devolved issue. It's not a great situation to be in and students from down south are certainly in a much much worse situation than we are.:hugs:

In an ideal world nobody would have to pay for education. :sadnod:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9176
Yeah sorry couldn't stop to chat, we were running incredibly late for the gig! Was epic though, SUCH A GOOD NIGHT!! Plus even though we arrived an hour after doors opened we got a decent spot in crowd :yep:

That's alright, I was running late for the party I was going to as well! Glad you had a good time :smile:
Original post by d123
That's alright, I was running late for the party I was going to as well! Glad you had a good time :smile:

Typical students, incapable of ever leaving on time! We'd agreed to leave flat at 10 past 7 to get there for half past...half past 7 and we had only just left flat. Whoops!

Good party?
Reply 9178
Typical students, incapable of ever leaving on time! We'd agreed to leave flat at 10 past 7 to get there for half past...half past 7 and we had only just left flat. Whoops!

Good party?

It was :smile: I think I need to make more of an effort to drink less though. Especially right in the middle of exams!
Original post by d123
It was :smile: I think I need to make more of an effort to drink less though. Especially right in the middle of exams!

Urgh don't mention the e word. If I pretend they don't exist they won't happen...

Latest