The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It's all kicking off in this thread.
Reply 7261
Original post by i'm no superman
Someone motivate me to finish this poster on direction selective circuits in the retina. I'm actually dying here.

Amsterdam in 8 days!

:hoppy:

Retinas are important. the optician told me today that I have some sort of retinal degeneration that may put me at risk of getting tears. you need to fix your George's mum's eyes!

And amsterdam is amazing, you will love it! I went there last Easter :biggrin:
Original post by Tech

Thanks :biggrin: It was between 7 of us, based on our SSC essays - the vast majority of it was written by our tutor to be honest, but it came from lots of group discussions - it's a philosophy/history of science paper so most of the discussion was conceptual rather than factual.

What are you writing up - reporting an experiment or..?

That sounds pretty interesting - my friend did a similar SSC called 'the Arts & Medicine', wish I'd done it too - they got to choose any piece of art to write for their essay in relation to Medicine (could be a song/painting - she did The Scream by Edvard Munch and talked about psychiatric connotations). Hows your iBSc going?

I'm sort of involved in writing up a meta-analysis, this isn't part of my iBSc but volunteering as a research assistant. Haven't written up a paper before so we'll see how this goes... :redface:

Someone motivate me to finish this poster on direction selective circuits in the retina. I'm actually dying here.

Amsterdam in 8 days!

:hoppy:

I think the third sentence is enough of a motivator! The faster you finish poster = move on to packing for your trip :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7263
Original post by GodspeedGehenna

That thread has some amazingly silly people in it.
Anyone got any tips for wangling good deals from mobile phone networks?

Going to upgrade soon but I'd like to get as much bang for my buck.

I've been with o2 for yonks now, and I've heard mythical stories about people getting amazing deals through blagging over the phone.
Original post by ThisLittlePiggy

I've been with o2 for yonks now, and I've heard mythical stories about people getting amazing deals through blagging over the phone.

Its easy - I got a year of my 2 year contract half price, and a free phone that was meant to be £50.
Just keep pushing and if you dont get what you want phone again.
This is where my years of being employed in sales come into handy.
Original post by malaz_197
Retinas are important. the optician told me today that I have some sort of retinal degeneration that may put me at risk of getting tears. you need to fix your George's mum's eyes!

And amsterdam is amazing, you will love it! I went there last Easter :biggrin:
Oh no, I hope it's nothing too serious!? I need to go for a check-up soon. Since starting at George's my eyesight has gone from -0.75 to -2.5 in both eyes. I'm pretty sure I'm near -3 now!

Eugh, I'm about halfway through this poster. It's looking neat but I'm supposed to be presenting it tomorrow at 9! I really don't want to have to pull an all-nighter and present it in such a licked state!

I can't wait for Amsterdam! I'm going for three days. I want to visit the Grachtengordel canals - they're considered one of the seven wonders of the urban world and it's going to be another addition to my '7 wonders' photo album on Facebook! :biggrin:

How's placement going ma? Are you at George's now or Helliers?
Reply 7267
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
That sounds pretty interesting - my friend did a similar SSC called 'the Arts & Medicine', wish I'd done it too - they got to choose any piece of art to write for their essay in relation to Medicine (could be a song/painting - she did The Scream by Edvard Munch and talked about psychiatric connotations). Hows your iBSc going?

I'm sort of involved in writing up a meta-analysis, this isn't part of my iBSc but volunteering as a research assistant. Haven't written up a paper before so we'll see how this goes... :redface:

Ah yeah, I've heard a lot of about that SSC! they do it here too, it sounds fascinating!

iBSc is going alright I guess, been very bogged down by work though.. stupidly thought it would be a chance to relax a little :rolleyes: How about yourself?

Sounds like a good idea, will be really good experience in statistics and look great on your CV! Good luck with it :redface: A friend of mine said he found a book about meta analysis that was really useful, I'll try and get the title off him next time I'm at home!
Original post by ThisLittlePiggy

dialaphone.co.uk
Original post by GodspeedGehenna

Got my highest repped post ever from that thread :biggrin:
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
We had a lecture where the lecturer said "oh and there's this rare thing called Wilson's disease, but I've yet to see that in my entire career" only for me to have seen a patient with it a week earlier :smug:

That's ****ing shocking.
Original post by digitalis

That's ****ing shocking.

What, that he hadn't seen it, or that I had? :unsure:
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
What, that he hadn't seen it, or that I had? :unsure:

The fact that he was like "yeah not important, cos I haven't seen it"

The fact that he was like "yeah not important, cos I haven't seen it"

I don't think he actually meant it like that - I don't think I paraphrased what he said particularly well :p:
Reply 7274
Oh no, I hope it's nothing too serious!? I need to go for a check-up soon. Since starting at George's my eyesight has gone from -0.75 to -2.5 in both eyes. I'm pretty sure I'm near -3 now!

Eugh, I'm about halfway through this poster. It's looking neat but I'm supposed to be presenting it tomorrow at 9! I really don't want to have to pull an all-nighter and present it in such a licked state!

I can't wait for Amsterdam! I'm going for three days. I want to visit the Grachtengordel canals - they're considered one of the seven wonders of the urban world and it's going to be another addition to my '7 wonders' photo album on Facebook! :biggrin:

How's placement going ma? Are you at George's now or Helliers?

well, optician said I just have to avoid vigorous sports for now. Do I look like I play vigorous sports?! lol

good luck with your poster! Is it a group poster? BSc seems pretty intense! will you have more time next term? we need to see you, I forgot how you look like!!

Haha, cant wait for photos now!! There is this group of volunteers that do boat trips for free. The guy we went with was called Diego. It's a much more personal/laid back way of seeing Amsterdam on boat. He gives you tips on not-so-touristy/busy/expensive places to go. EDIT: I just looked it up- they are called St. Nicolaas Boat Club.

I'm even further out than that :frown:... at Princess Royal in Bromley
(edited 12 years ago)
So... who understand stats? More importantly, can anyone point me towards any resources that explain how to do a student t test in idiotproof terminology?
Reply 7278
Original post by crazylemon
I couldn't get it on the VPN...

Really? I got it on VPN, and it's already downloaded on my PC.
Reply 7279
You have to click the Volume 22, Numbers 2-3, then Download PDF, the 3.4MB one.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending