The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Becca-Sarah
So... who understand stats? More importantly, can anyone point me towards any resources that explain how to do a student t test in idiotproof terminology?

Do you need to do it by hand? I can talk you through it.
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Do you need to do it by hand? I can talk you through it.

I don't know. I have Excel and SigmaPlot but have no idea how to work either of them in this capacity. Also I haven't yet put my data into any coherent form, so I'm a little way from actually doing the stats...
I don't know. I have Excel and SigmaPlot but have no idea how to work either of them in this capacity. Also I haven't yet put my data into any coherent form, so I'm a little way from actually doing the stats...

Ok, that's alright. It's fairly straight forward to do it by hand, especially if it's a paired student's t-test. Unpaired is a little bit more complicated, but not much so.

Do you need to show the working, or do you literally just need a p-value? If so, i'll happily crunch it out for you.
Reply 7283
Have definitely had a UTI all weekend....attempting to man through the weekend has resulted in my left kidney hurting. Is it really unprofessional if I force a cup of wee onto an F1 tomorrow for them to confirm and pescribe? There's one I've been having 'banter' with....this will definitely put me in the friend zone...
Original post by Alanine
Have definitely had a UTI all weekend....attempting to man through the weekend has resulted in my left kidney hurting. Is it really unprofessional if I force a cup of wee onto an F1 tomorrow for them to confirm and pescribe? There's one I've been having 'banter' with....this will definitely put me in the friend zone...

Can you not get to a walk-in centre this evening? Hope you're feeling better soon!

Ok, that's alright. It's fairly straight forward to do it by hand, especially if it's a paired student's t-test. Unpaired is a little bit more complicated, but not much so.

Do you need to show the working, or do you literally just need a p-value? If so, i'll happily crunch it out for you.

I think I just need the p-values. Paired means I'm comparing two outcomes, oui? Ta for the offer, may take you up on it when I get to that stage :h:

I think I just need the p-values. Paired means I'm comparing two outcomes, oui? Ta for the offer, may take you up on it when I get to that stage :h:

Paired/Unpaired refers to whether or not the participants experience both conditions of the experiment, or if you use two sets of participants instead.
Paired/Unpaired refers to whether or not the participants experience both conditions of the experiment, or if you use two sets of participants instead.

I have 2 different concentrations, and I have outcomes measured at 0 and 7 days... :confused:
I have 2 different concentrations, and I have outcomes measured at 0 and 7 days... :confused:

Ok, are you wanting to compare the differences between the outcomes after 7 days?
Ok, are you wanting to compare the differences between the outcomes after 7 days?

Umm... I have 4 sets of data. I want to compare conc1 at day 0 with conc2 at day 0, and conc1 at day 0 with conc1 at day7, etc...

I hate stats :sigh:
Umm... I have 4 sets of data. I want to compare conc1 at day 0 with conc2 at day 0, and conc1 at day 0 with conc1 at day7, etc...

I hate stats :sigh:

Oh ok, you would ideally need to do an ANOVA otherwise you'd be doing a **** load of t-tests which increases your chance of a type I error and rejecting a null hypothesis when it shouldn't have been. But that is much more complicated.

Depends on what you need it for, really. During my undergrad, I was part of the biomed and psychology departments. If I had done lots of t-tests the psych dept would have slated me, whereas the biomed markers didn't understand when I used an ANOVA.
(edited 12 years ago)
I know bugger all about statistics...
Anyone recommend a decent book for dunces?
Oh ok, you would ideally need to do an ANOVA otherwise you'd be doing a **** load of t-tests which increases your chance of a type I error and rejecting a null hypothesis when it shouldn't have been. But that is much more complicated.

Depends on what you need it for, really. During my undergrad, I was part of the biomed and psychology departments. If I had done lots of t-tests the psych dept would have slated me, whereas the biomed markers didn't understand when I used an ANOVA.

Aha. I just rang my dad (maths teacher) and he said the same thing about ANOVA :yes: It's for my bioeng coursework :sigh:
Reply 7292
Not looking forward to the stats for my BSc project in a couple of months. I did mechanics. :biggrin:
Original post by Alanine

Not unprofessional, and they probably won't mind being asked (though yeah, it might kill any romantic chances you may have had). However, it's not actually that easy - they can do a dipstick, but first of all as an F1 are only allowed to prescribe for inpatients, and secondly, getting hold of an FP10 (the little green prescription slips you get from GPs etc) in hospital is almost impossible. It would probably be much easier just to go to the GP.
lol I got my degree certificate today and it looks like something I could have printed on my home computer with an A4 piece of card.
Reply 7295
lol I got my degree certificate today and it looks like something I could have printed on my home computer with an A4 piece of card.

That had better be some high quality card at £28.9 per square centimetre!

Yes I just spent 5 minutes working that out. Procrastibating instead of revising neuropathology.

Sarcasm done with. Now I'd better get back to apathy and self loathing.
Reply 7296
Original post by buzzcat

Yes I just spent 5 minutes working that out. Procrastibating instead of revising neuropathology.

You're saying that A4 sized degree cost about £17,400. I'm pretty sure he meant his previous degree which would've probably been 3, maybe 4 years. So £5,800-4,300 per year? Back to revising. Start with simple maths.

:biggrin:
Reply 7297

Pft, you're attempts to evoke my wrath are futile HBK. I assumed they had just graduated from a similar course to ours...

Also bitch please, I self taught M4 ;D
Original post by buzzcat

Is that procrastination via masturbation? :sexface:

:getmecoat:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Is that procrastination via masturbation? :sexface:

:getmecoat:

Go talk about your personal study methods elsewhere :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending