The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by crazy1234
Quick question to all those considering a gap year, if you get 3/4A*s and a warwick offer, would you take it or apply again hoping for oxbridge?

P.s. I dont have an warwick offer, but am just curious....

I'd take warwick
Original post by MWM
Hmm, well I got 5 rejections last year, and have now reapplied with 4A*'s and got an unconditional from Bath :smile:. Although I have to say that my PS was quite weak last year and I think it has significantly improved this year.

I would class my PS as strong. Have strong UMS (95.2% average across all subjects) although this only appears to matter for Cambridge and UCL, which is annoying. Perhaps the A* in Maths I have achieved will also work in my favour, but I fear 5 rejections due to weak GCSE's.
Reply 6102
Original post by crazy1234
Quick question to all those considering a gap year, if you get 3/4A*s and a warwick offer, would you take it or apply again hoping for oxbridge?

P.s. I dont have an warwick offer, but am just curious....

Definitely take the Warwick offer, wasting a year at the chance of Oxbridge isn't wise.

Original post by Tateco
Where did you apply and what were your AS levels like?

Cam,LSE,UCL,WAR,DUR
I had 4 AS in maths,phy,chem and econ, all were above 90% but econ was slightly below.
Reply 6103
Original post by stefl14
I would class my PS as strong. Have strong UMS (95.2% average across all subjects) although this only appears to matter for Cambridge and UCL, which is annoying. Perhaps the A* in Maths I have achieved will also work in my favour, but I fear 5 rejections due to weak GCSE's.

Hmm, yea I didn't have the a level in maths at the time and my PS was quite weak.
Original post by MWM
Hmm, yea I didn't have the a level in maths at the time and my PS was quite weak.

BTW what did you do in your gap year?
Reply 6105
Original post by stefl14

I am currently self teaching FM,
some charity work and helping others with their studies through tuition.
Original post by MWM
You have achieved 4 A*'s ? Me too, but I haven't got an LSE offer, they must have liked your PS.
What are you doing in this gap year may I ask ?

I'm currently on a year long internship at KPMG. My PS was decent, if I do say so myself!
I'm able to start tracking, all excited now.
Want the offers now!!
Original post by MWM
I am currently self teaching FM,
some charity work and helping others with their studies through tuition.

Cool. How come you didn't do FM before by the way?
Reply 6109
Original post by MWM
Definitely take the Warwick offer, wasting a year at the chance of Oxbridge isn't wise.

Cam,LSE,UCL,WAR,DUR
I had 4 AS in maths,phy,chem and econ, all were above 90% but econ was slightly below.

Ah right, I have slightly safer options than you (Bath and Nottingham instead of LSE and Durham) and 5A* at GCSE so hopefully I get an offer!

Original post by nathgooner
I'm currently on a year long internship at KPMG. My PS was decent, if I do say so myself!

Oooh, how are you finding it?
Original post by Tateco
Ah right, I have slightly safer options than you (Bath and Nottingham instead of LSE and Durham) and 5A* at GCSE so hopefully I get an offer!

Oooh, how are you finding it?

It's really good! It's given me more drive to succeed in economics now!
Reply 6111

Did you to apply to Cambridge? :u:
Reply 6112

Tips for the application progress? :tongue: Going to apply if I don't get Cambridge I think!
Original post by MWM

Cam,LSE,UCL,WAR,DUR

You know you spend too much time in Economics when you see

"MWM" and read NMW

Spoiler

And also when you see GDP on a number plate with this reaction:

:woo:

:frown: want
Has anyone got a nottingham offer yet?
Also how long ago did people who have a southampton offer apply ? I haven't got a reply and its been about 2 weeks.:s-smilie:
Why has noone been 'wacky' enough to email UCL/Warwick/LSE and ask them why they are taking longer than they normally do?

It's like they don't want our £9000 a year....
Reply 6116
Original post by WalkerPrince
Why has noone been 'wacky' enough to email UCL/Warwick/LSE and ask them why they are taking longer than they normally do?

Let me know what they say :wink:
Original post by WalkerPrince

:lol: I'm too lazyscared to email/call LSE asking to confirm my application...

y they ignore me? :ashamed2:
Original post by MWM

Nice one getting 4 A*s! Would Camb still care about high the A*s are in terms of UMS, because I could still get A*s in bio and chem, but it would mean I'd need 94 and 96 respectively to average 90!

Original post by stefl14

Yup same position as you, though my grades sucked (relatively- predicted AAAC) so didn't apply.

I'll just try and get a strong set of A levels, reapply and go all out

Though I'm not too confident that this will happen, but might as well give it a shot!

I'll finish off my econ A level, and do a lot of extra reading and chilling out in my gap year. Maybe save up a trip to China, and get a job. They don't really care apart from Camb where they may ask in an interview, so I'll spend most of the time chilling out
Original post by Tateco
Tips for the application progress? :tongue: Going to apply if I don't get Cambridge I think!

You mean for the one starting next year?

Latest

Trending

Trending