The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marc Fiorano
I completely underestimated the amount of time and effort these applications take during the busy times of uni.

First I was trying to find any and every possible internship programme possible and now I've got my hands full with just the ones at BBs.

My friend did hardcore research for each firm and made a set of model answers for something like 40 possible comp questions in the summer.
I've been cursing myself for not thinking about doing the same at the time :dry:

How come you're red? You're really helpful on this forum....and consequently I thought you were a 2nd or 3rd year lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Cabine Sono Qui
How come you're red? You're really helpful on this forum....and consequently I thought you were a 2nd or 3rd year lol

Yeah I went from +190 to -70 in a day over one post about the union strikes lol.

I'm a 2nd year on a 4 year course :yep:
What about yourself? How are you finding the applications?
Original post by Marc Fiorano
Yeah I went from +190 to -70 in a day over one post about the union strikes lol.

I'm a 2nd year on a 4 year course :yep:
What about yourself? How are you finding the applications?

Hahaha, jokes. Link me to that post if you feel up to it!

I'm finding the whole application process tiring tbh. So far I've applied to GS, CS, JPM and Citi, gonna apply to the rest over the Christmas hols (if I ever actually get round to it). This is partly due to the fact that I don't really want to work in IB, I'm just going for the work experience. Though if by some miracle I get onto a programme, it may just change my mind!

*prepares for a neg-train from IB fanboys*
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by sach100
thanks for the reply. I did a logical and numerical online for the spring week. Have two interviews one on one apparently (from the email). was surprised there was no verification of that logical! would you mind sharing any info on the RBS interview? Thanks

Guess you might have to do the numerical in the office then; don't worry about it, it's standard SHL that you get online.

RBS is sometimes more chatty where the interviewer tries to keep a conversation going while asking you competencies, why RBS? why the division? etc; or it can be more firing comps at you. That all depends on the interviewer really.

The one thing that RBS don't do so much in my experience, is give you hard technical questions. Comparing my RBS interview to my Credit Suisse one, the Credit Suisse one included questions like, 'how do you perform a DCF when you're investing?', 'how would you value Glencore using DCF?', the guy was obsessed with DCF....

RBS on the other hand didn't give me any technical questions from what i remember; they focused on why the division? why the bank? what you would be doing on a daily basis? where in GBM you see yourself (DCM, ECM, Corporate Finance etc)? what have you read about recently to do with the industry that interests you? etc etc.

It's a lot more to do with why you're applying and that you have a wider interest in finance, the investment banking industry etc, rather than, do you know what we're going to teach you in the first week type thing.

That's just my experience though!
Am I the only one reading the above post and wondering what a lot of the jargon means? :s :s :s Wondering if I should even be applying for spring weeks...
Original post by luckylucifer
Am I the only one reading the above post and wondering what a lot of the jargon means? :s :s :s Wondering if I should even be applying for spring weeks...

This was summer internship interviews; springs may be less harsh. Better to see the jargon now and have a chance to learn it rather than have it thrown at you in an interview i guess.
Original post by Cabine Sono Qui
Hahaha, jokes. Link me to that post if you feel up to it!

I'm finding the whole application process tiring tbh. So far I've applied to GS, CS, JPM and Citi, gonna apply to the rest over the Christmas hols (if I ever actually get round to it). This is partly due to the fact that I don't really want to work in IB, I'm just going for the work experience. Thought if by some miracle I get onto a programme, it may just change my mind!

*prepares for a neg-train from IB fanboys*

The thread got deleted I think but basically I just went on a rant about disruption on the tube and not being able to go to uni lol.

I feel your pain, it is a bit much whilst tackling uni work. Especially as a 2nd year the work load is insane so quite difficult to find the time.

That's a good approach, any corporate experience during uni is always favourable and if it's IB then that's golden. I know quite a few people on my course who don't intend to do anything even closely related to finance but apply for IB internships for the valuable experience.

Best of luck with your apps!
Reply 767
Original post by Industrious Orca
Guess you might have to do the numerical in the office then; don't worry about it, it's standard SHL that you get online.

RBS is sometimes more chatty where the interviewer tries to keep a conversation going while asking you competencies, why RBS? why the division? etc; or it can be more firing comps at you. That all depends on the interviewer really.

The one thing that RBS don't do so much in my experience, is give you hard technical questions. Comparing my RBS interview to my Credit Suisse one, the Credit Suisse one included questions like, 'how do you perform a DCF when you're investing?', 'how would you value Glencore using DCF?', the guy was obsessed with DCF....

RBS on the other hand didn't give me any technical questions from what i remember; they focused on why the division? why the bank? what you would be doing on a daily basis? where in GBM you see yourself (DCM, ECM, Corporate Finance etc)? what have you read about recently to do with the industry that interests you? etc etc.

It's a lot more to do with why you're applying and that you have a wider interest in finance, the investment banking industry etc, rather than, do you know what we're going to teach you in the first week type thing.

Yeh this just scared me a bit lol. Glad thats for the internship and not spring prog.
The RBS tests are insane! I reckon I got 7/12 logical and 5/12 numerical! :s-smilie:
Reply 769
Original post by Industrious Orca

Thanks for that. Just have to wait and see what it's like. Hopefully not too technical/ brainteasers.
Original post by sach100
Thanks for that. Just have to wait and see what it's like. Hopefully not too technical/ brainteasers.

Hey, when did you apply? And, what mark do you think you got in the logical/numerical tests?
Reply 771
does anyone know if you will get a straight rejection if you make a spelling mistake/grammatical error on your application form?

i think i did one when explaining the main duties of my previous job so i am getting a bit worried

thanks
Original post by Banker91
does anyone know if you will get a straight rejection if you make a spelling mistake/grammatical error on your application form?

i think i did one when explaining the main duties of my previous job so i am getting a bit worried

thanks

It is obviously not a good thing, but if your first language is not english and it;s only that mistake you should be fine.
hey i'm doing math at oxford (first year), as you may know our degree can be 3 years long or 4 years long, we can choose in our third year....
can i still aplly to one of these first year programs?
Reply 774
Original post by moritzplatz
hey i'm doing math at oxford (first year), as you may know our degree can be 3 years long or 4 years long, we can choose in our third year....

Lots of people (of those who want to do banking and a MMath) say they are on the 3 year, do a spring week in first year. Then switch to 4 year. Do another spring week in 2nd year and then do internships in 3rd year.

I kind of regret not doing that tbh.
Reply 775

yes brah
Original post by miml
Lots of people (of those who want to do banking and a MMath) say they are on the 3 year, do a spring week in first year. Then switch to 4 year. Do another spring week in 2nd year and then do internships in 3rd year.

I kind of regret not doing that tbh.

ahah i'll try to do the same!

do you regret that because you think spring internships matter?
do you know which spring programmes i can still apply to?
i know i missed the deadline for jp morgan and morgan stanley, what about the others?
Reply 778
ahah i'll try to do the same!

do you regret that because you think spring internships matter?

I did nothing in the Easter holidays really. Could've have easily spent a couple weeks at a bank. I thought it would impact revision, but I didn't revise that much at all.

This year I've got exams in the first week back, and the modules are a lot harder. I do think spring weeks are really useful as they give you the opportunity to side step the usual application processes and get a grad job without having to apply everywhere for 3 years in a row.

EDIT: I suppose failing to get a spring week (in the 1st year of a 4 year course) doesn't really matter as you can apply next year. But my guess is that you would learn so much about the process that it would give a distinct advantage the following year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 779
did you submit a cover letter for deustche bank?? it doesn't ask for one...... and there are a million questions so im guessing ti's not necessary

Latest

Trending

Trending