The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Edwin Okli
Didn't know they give out offers to international applicants first. But life goes on without Oxbridge (that's the conclusion that I've reached following my interview). Of course I'd love to get an offer from Cambridge but it's really very unlikely.

No idea abt Durham. Not really(abt Oxford). Don't worry you will do fine!!
Original post by BeccaCath94
That's great!! Well done! :smile: what's your firm going to be? They're all great unis :biggrin:

Thanks. Warwick. If you say so....
Original post by Xero Xenith
Durham offer too? Seems like they're trickling in! Have you (or anyone else) heard of any other Durham offers, and whether or not they're internationals?

Congrats by the way :smile:

EDIT: some stalking has revealed Ultimate1992 who is also an international... any more people? :s-smilie:

No idea. Never got the UMS mail. No no others as of yet. Thanks
Original post by laughylolly
Yay! Fellow Trinity reject! Congrats on all your other offers though. I'm still waiting to hear from Durham, I guess you're an international student?

Elated beyond measure. Thanks. Yup

Thanks but asked for 2011's (not 2012's).
why did I not apply for straight Maths at Oxford :cry:
Original post by desy.kris

Original post by desy.kris
why did I not apply for straight Maths at Oxford :cry:

What's wrong with Maths & Computer Science?

I just had my Oxford interview, could answer all the maths questions but none of the CS questions. :cry:
Original post by actuarialmaestro:p
Thanks. Warwick. If you say so....

They are! Put it this way, all the grade requirements are too high for your choices so i'm not applying to them!
Original post by snow leopard
Thanks but asked for 2011's (not 2012's).

You mean last years, as in people starting in 2011 or as in this year as in people applying in 2011 for starting in 2012?

The one I posted is this years and of all offers coming out now.
You mean last years, as in people starting in 2011 or as in this year as in people applying in 2011 for starting in 2012?

The one I posted is this years and of all offers coming out now.

The one you've linked to is '2012'. I asked for '2011', which clearly refers to the previous cycle of math applicants. You obviously don't have knowledge/links to what I've asked for so please stop complicating and posting things unnecessarily.
Original post by snow leopard
The one you've linked to is '2012'. I asked for '2011', which clearly refers to the previous cycle of math applicants. You obviously don't have knowledge/links to what I've asked for so please stop complicating and posting things unnecessarily.

I'm sorry. Some people refer to this years applicants as 2011, some refer to it as 2012. I was just making sure. Sorry for trying to be helpful, gosh.

A Cambridge lecturer said back in the Maths Masterclass in June it's possible to do an intense CS degree in a year, if know all the maths, i.e have a strong maths degree. I'm still not sure whether this is true though. Would be really cool if it was, and I am hoping it is. ;D
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple

A Cambridge lecturer said back in the Maths Masterclass in June it's possible to do an intense CS degree in a year, if know all the maths, i.e have a strong maths degree. I'm still not sure whether this is true though. Would be really cool if it was, and I am hoping it is. ;D

But one must question whether one would want to study CompSci after 3 years of studying the most beautiful subject.
But one must question whether one would want to study CompSci after 3 years of studying the most beautiful subject.

This is true. But I like the idea of adapting my maths and gaining another respected degree out of it. Of course you'd have to be interested in CS, which I relatively am. But for me personally Maths is only subject worth learning at University IMHO. CS in a year would be extremely tempting though.
(edited 12 years ago)
This it true. But I like the idea of adapting my maths and gaining another respected degree out of it. Of course you'd have to be interested in CS, which I relatively am. But for me personally Maths is only subject worth learning at University IMHO. CS in a year would be extremely tempting though.

You would think it would be pretty useful too.

I thought about applying for Maths + CS or Maths + Stats but decided that I would just apply to maths and then (when I could) take modules in the respective areas.
Hey guys :smile: Has anyone heard from Bath, Bristol, Durham yet? How's it all going for you guys? Many sitting STEP? How are you all preparing? :biggrin:
Original post by Tomcrease
Hey guys :smile: Has anyone heard from Bath, Bristol, Durham yet? How's it all going for you guys? Many sitting STEP? How are you all preparing? :biggrin:

Heard from Bath but not Durham yet. As far as I know only internationals have heard from Durham for maths.

I might be sitting STEP. Not 100% sure yet.

I see you are new to the thread? Welcome! Here's the Mathematics Applicants 2012 stalking page - feel free to add yourself.

There's also a link to an offers page on the linked page =)
You would think it would be pretty useful too.

I thought about applying for Maths + CS or Maths + Stats but decided that I would just apply to maths and then (when I could) take modules in the respective areas.

Have you heard anything similar to taking a CS degree in a year? I've only ever heard it mentioned once. I think CS would be very useful! I don't think I'll ever be good enough to want to spend a career in academia so might as well prepare for the corporate world. :biggrin:
Have you heard anything similar to taking a CS degree in a year? I've only ever heard it mentioned once. I think CS would be very useful! I don't think I'll ever be good enough to want to spend a career in academia so might as well prepare for the corporate world. :biggrin:

Nope... not really. Maybe a part time thing then once you've got into the world of work? If you can afford it of course. I might go on to further study after doing maths. I've kinda always wanted to be a meteorologist but there are only like two uni's in the Uk that offer a course in it and job prospects aren't that great. I've considered doing a postgrad in something related to that after maths. Either that or become an actuary. Or maybe something completely different. I like how studying maths keeps you open to many opportunities (well I hope it does!)

Latest