The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Current UCL students' chat thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1900
Original post by kerily
Thankyou ever so much :smile: I realise I keep saying this, but it means an awful lot.

Obviously I don't think it's going to matter very much if people complaining are members of the LGBT society or not, but if we were the only ones who minded and nobody else gave a toss, it wouldn't be as convincing as if people from a wide range of backgrounds cared :tongue:

It's come up on my facebook - other people mind too :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 1901
Original post by ily_em
It's come up on my facebook - other people mind too :smile:

:biggrin: This is incredibly reassuring.

The standard email everyone who complained has got in return is utter *******s too, but I can't even be bothered to go into it. Apparently Pi's having a meeting tomorrow morning in which they're going to throw the book at him, and I'm very, very glad.

Of all the things I thought would have happened to me by Christmas in my first term, getting insulted in the official newspaper honestly was not something I imagined :tongue: But I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's insanity.
Reply 1902
Original post by rockrunride
That's a hell of a load of mojitos..

Having a Roxy Christmas send off next week though, looking forward as much as you could possibly be. Alcohol withdrawal at uni suxxxxxx.

I might join you, depending on when my bus finally gets into London. Haven't been to the Roxy in soooo long.

Urgh, I sent an email on Monday afternoon stating that I was really struggling to cope with the year abroad and it was starting to affect my health, so could we arrange a meeting next week to speak in person. It's now Friday and she hasn't replied. I know she's busy and has a lot of emails to get through, but surely an issue like this merits a faster response than this? If only to put my mind at ease :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1903
Original post by kerily
Repped. You are an absolute star :moon: I just... this will be approximately the ten billionth time I've gushed in such a way, but I'm completely taken aback (in a good way) by the reaction to this. There are so many people going out on a limb when they completely don't have to, just because they think it's the right thing to do, and it's amazing.

(Do you know my real name, on grounds that I doubt 'kerily' would identify me properly? :tongue: I can PM you it if you like. Unless you already know it :colone:)

Guessing you've already seen this but in case nobody else had http://cheesegratermagazine.org/investigations/2011/12/9/pi-newspaper-editor-resigns.html
Reply 1904
Johnson wrote: “While I'm sorry [the UCLU LGBT Trans Rep] was offended, and will be speaking to him to apologise and explain that nothing was intended personally, I do think it would be inappropriate to treat LGBT Society with kid gloves or any less equally than we would treat any other society"

Urgh, what a ****. Is he really that much of a moron that he can't see the difference between bitching about a sports club for their behaviour and mocking just one individual for their identity?
Reply 1905
Original post by Lizia
Johnson wrote: “While I'm sorry [the UCLU LGBT Trans Rep] was offended, and will be speaking to him to apologise and explain that nothing was intended personally, I do think it would be inappropriate to treat LGBT Society with kid gloves or any less equally than we would treat any other society"

Urgh, what a ****. Is he really that much of a moron that he can't see the difference between bitching about a sports club for their behaviour and mocking just one individual for their identity?

Apparently so :sigh:

In any case, I do think it's different to mock the LGBT Society and, say, the Netball Society (presuming one exists :tongue:). The LGBT Society does run social events and the like, but we're also a safe space for anyone who identifies as non-heterosexual or non-cisgender, or is harassed because other people perceive them that way, regardless of whether that's true. Taking the mick out of the aftermath of some sort of drunken event would be fine, but taking the mick out of a support network, not so much.

Original post by sundogs
Guessing you've already seen this but in case nobody else had http://cheesegratermagazine.org/investigations/2011/12/9/pi-newspaper-editor-resigns.html

I'm sorry that it's had to come to a resignation (if only he'd just said 'oh god, I wrote a horrible article, I'm so sorry, and I'll educate myself in future!' then I don't think calls for his resignation would have been anywhere near as strong), but considering the situation and what Pi feels about the reputation of their paper, it seems like the only appropriate outcome.
That response he initially made was quite simply unbelievable. How dare he insult someone for being non-cis and defend it saying that we must respect his "distasteful" opinion.

It's one thing to say "I don't understand non-cisness" which I would find bizarre enough seeing as the man finds himself in central London and amongst such a variety of cultures, identities, opinions and the like, but to openly insult someone for it.. you get my drift.

Ashamed to say I attend the same university as that little prat.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1907
What really annoys me is the ignorance. I mean sure people are homophobic, but these days they at least know enough to shut their mouths. When it comes to transgendered people though, I don't know it seems almost like wilful ignorance, like they're saying "oh come on, we can't bitch about gays anymore just let us have this".

There was a thread a year or two ago on this site, about a trans man who became pregnant, and I swear to God the comments that ended up adding to over 10 pages... it was one of the mercifully few moments in which I genuinely felt let down by the human race.

In unrelated news, dear Lord in heaven why won't this term just die already :nothing:
Reply 1908
Original post by paddy
In unrelated news, dear Lord in heaven why won't this term just die already :nothing:

Yep, I have a funny feeling the last fortnight has intensified in terms of workload and whatnot. It really annoys me that I didn't have a chance to purchase a book my tutor had asked us to read, so now I have to order it through special delivery via Amazon and hand in a report on it (luckily not assessed). I feel I'm getting more disorganised, which is even worse given the fact I have to pack my stuff into three pieces of luggage and fly back home in four days (WTF, time flies so quickly!!!).
Reply 1909
To register for exams here, Italians have to use a website and we erasmus have to email the faculty. People literally sign onto the website at midnight the day exams open to get an early number and avoid waiting round all day. I decided to be cheeky and email before the website opened for the Italian students so that I could maybe get a decent number around 10th or so, rather than email on the day and be miles down the list. Now I've received a confirmation of my number. I'm literally the first person to take the exam. Talk about karma.

Logically, it's a good thing- sitting in the exam room for an extra hour or so wouldnt make any difference to my mark. But first is still scary!
Reply 1910
Original post by Lizia
To register for exams here, Italians have to use a website and we erasmus have to email the faculty. People literally sign onto the website at midnight the day exams open to get an early number and avoid waiting round all day. I decided to be cheeky and email before the website opened for the Italian students so that I could maybe get a decent number around 10th or so, rather than email on the day and be miles down the list. Now I've received a confirmation of my number. I'm literally the first person to take the exam. Talk about karma.

Logically, it's a good thing- sitting in the exam room for an extra hour or so wouldnt make any difference to my mark. But first is still scary!

Haha, I know what you're talking about, my friends in the Czech Republic undergo the same process and call it "a clicking game" :wink: One of them has just uploaded his status on FB to "A registration for an exam started a minute ago and thirty out of forty slots are already out..." :biggrin:
Reply 1911
Original post by Ivanka
Haha, I know what you're talking about, my friends in the Czech Republic undergo the same process and call it "a clicking game" :wink: One of them has just uploaded his status on FB to "A registration for an exam started a minute ago and thirty out of forty slots are already out..." :biggrin:

Exactly. On the plus side, I now know how to cheat the system for next exam period :biggrin:
Reply 1912
Original post by Ivanka

I don't get it. Why does it matter what number you are? :s-smilie:
Reply 1913
Original post by ily_em

Well in that case it seems that there's a limited number of spaces. In Italy, basically everyone has to turn up at the appointed start time and sit there until their number is called (they're oral exams, so done one at a time). So while it doesn't technically matter what number you are, the smaller your number the less time sat twiddling your thumbs getting nervous/less risk of not being called until the next day if the exam overruns.
Reply 1914
Original post by ily_em

Basically as Lizia explained. The sooner you register, the greater choice of when you want to examined as well. Besides, there is sometimes even an option of choice among teachers, so those that are favoured by students are likely to be oversubscribed. If you go to a Czech version of TSR, you'll find loads of threads like, "Which teacher is better for this exam?" Lol.
Reply 1915
Original post by Lizia
Well in that case it seems that there's a limited number of spaces. In Italy, basically everyone has to turn up at the appointed start time and sit there until their number is called (they're oral exams, so done one at a time). So while it doesn't technically matter what number you are, the smaller your number the less time sat twiddling your thumbs getting nervous/less risk of not being called until the next day if the exam overruns.

oooh ok. I was assuming they're written exams, hence the confusion. :smile:
Bizarre end of term Roxy times. I ended up attaining pretty much the perfect level of drunkenness and was more or less out of it without memory loss/doing strange things.

Friend wasn't so fortunate. On returning home to mine where he was staying since he's no longer a student, he not only broke one of my kitchen glasses and proceeded to vomit in the sink, but proceeded to stand up in the middle of my bedroom at 5.30 am, whip his old boy out and start urinating on his sleeping bag.

For how drunk I still was, I was astonished.
Reply 1917
Arriving to the Czech Republic in twenty-four hours...
Reply 1918
UCL website states that the accommodation is guaranteed only to those who firm it. Does it mean there is no guarantee that those who choose UCL as insurance get an accommodation? Is there any way to ensure this how was this dealt in the past? Is it possible to pay for the accommodation upfront even though it is insurance and then in the worst case scenario loose the deposit or whatever .. how does it work? Thanks for the help.

Original post by mpc1
UCL website states that the accommodation is guaranteed only to those who firm it. Does it mean there is no guarantee that those who choose UCL as insurance get an accommodation? Is there any way to ensure this how was this dealt in the past? Is it possible to pay for the accommodation upfront even though it is insurance and then in the worst case scenario loose the deposit or whatever .. how does it work? Thanks for the help.

You only pay the deposit if you're offered accommodation in August.
And yes, if you choose UCL as your insurance there is no guarantee, you cannot ensure it. You just put your name on the waiting list and hope for the best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending