The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laughylolly
Nope... not really. Maybe a part time thing then once you've got into the world of work? If you can afford it of course. I might go on to further study after doing maths. I've kinda always wanted to be a meteorologist but there are only like two uni's in the Uk that offer a course in it and job prospects aren't that great. I've considered doing a postgrad in something related to that after maths. Either that or become an actuary. Or maybe something completely different. I like how studying maths keeps you open to many opportunities (well I hope it does!)

Yeah, my primary choice is being an actuary. Prospects seem great, although day to day rather dull. :frown: Ah well, still 4 years to decide! :biggrin:
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
A Cambridge lecturer said back in the Maths Masterclass in June it's possible to do an intense CS degree in a year, if know all the maths, i.e have a strong maths degree. I'm still not sure whether this is true though. Would be really cool if it was, and I am hoping it is. ;D

ahh sounds reassuring :smile: didn't you apply for Maths only though?
Heard from Bath but not Durham yet. As far as I know only internationals have heard from Durham for maths.

I might be sitting STEP. Not 100% sure yet.

I see you are new to the thread? Welcome! Here's the Mathematics Applicants 2012 stalking page - feel free to add yourself.

There's also a link to an offers page on the linked page =)

Ah thank you :smile: I have added myself to the page :smile:
What's making you think about sitting STEP? Do you have any offers requiring it? I can't see any downside to sitting it really :smile:
Original post by Tomcrease
Ah thank you :smile: I have added myself to the page :smile:
What's making you think about sitting STEP? Do you have any offers requiring it? I can't see any downside to sitting it really :smile:

Well the only offer requiring it so far is Warwick but at the moment Warwick is my 3rd/4th choice (for various reasons that I did not foresee when applying there). The only kinda annoying thing is that I'm in the Scottish system and we do our exams in may, so all of mine are 20-something th of May and STEP isn't till mid/late June. I'm not sure if I'd fancy revising for an exam when all my friends are finished with theirs and going off on 6th year holidays etc.

Otherwise I'd happily sit it.
Offer from UCL!! yay
Original post by lifesabeach
Offer from UCL!! yay

Congrats!! Is it a good offer?
Congrats!! Is it a good offer?

thanks :smile: it is A*AA with the A* in either maths or further maths and an A in physics. it also states I must attend the introductory department day which I will be notified on soon :smile:
thanks :smile: it is A*AA with the A* in either maths or further maths and an A in physics. it also states I must attend the introductory department day which I will be notified on soon :smile:

Good =)

I'm just waiting on St Andrews and Durham now but apparently both of them take ages to give out offers/rejections. Ah well.
Unconditional from leicester :biggrin:
Good =)

I'm just waiting on St Andrews and Durham now but apparently both of them take ages to give out offers/rejections. Ah well.

I see you have two offers, well done and good luck :smile:

I had a D2 mock exam today (decision in A-level) and couldn't complete the questions in time so i wrote, 'i have a proof for this but don't have enough time'...mathematical-wit..love it!
I see you have two offers, well done and good luck :smile:

I had a D2 mock exam today (decision in A-level) and couldn't complete the questions in time so i wrote, 'i have a proof for this but don't have enough time'...mathematical-wit..love it!

Thanks! Good luck on your other too choices as well. =)

I had a Advanced Higher Stats NAB today (in the Scottish system you have to take a NAB which is a C-level (mostly) test you have to pass for each unit for you to sit the final exam) and there was this question asking about which sampling method the school should use or something. I'm so not used to writing in maths so I just rambled on for about a page even though it was only worth like 2 or 3 marks :L

I don't think I've ever written anything witty in exams though, always too scared to haha.
Yaay, I now have UCL, Warwick and..... Durham!!!
Reply 3892
Original post by maths134

Congratulations !

What was the offer for durham?

Durham?? :O :O
Offer from UCL!! yay

Original post by Mr_Muffin_Man
Unconditional from leicester :biggrin:

Well done guys :woo:
Durham is A* (maths or FM) AA

UCL offer:biggrin:
Original post by ben-smith
UCL offer:biggrin:

:O More offers! Congrats!
LSE offer for maths w/econ. yayyy
Original post by anil10100
LSE offer for maths w/econ. yayyy

Well done! What time did you get it?

Latest