The Student Room Group

I think I may have cystic fibrosis

Hello, recently in the past few weeks, I have been producing thicker mucus than usual, and I have been coughing way, way too much. I have also been coughing up this mucus, but it is most prominent during midday, when I'm in college. I havent been told I have it, nor have I had similar symptoms before. I know it is a genetic disease, so does this mean, if I where to have it the doctors would have known at birth, or do sypmtoms come up later in life?

Please could someone help me? I'm getting worried and I don't want to go to my GP before I get some knowledge about this topic as I don't want to waste his time... :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think a severe genetic disease is the last conclusion one would jump to when it's more likely a chest infection.

'Symptoms often appear in infancy and childhood, such as bowel obstruction due to meconium ileus in newborn babies.'

Don't be a hypochondriac. Get your chest checked for an infection and stop worrying, you'll make the symptoms appear through thinking you have them.
You can't just think you have cystic fibrosis from a bit of extra mucus. You may easily just have a chest infection, it's winter time, it's pretty normal.
Reply 3
If you had Cystic Fibrosis, you'd have found out much earlier than now. Probably a chest infection.
Reply 4
You do not have cystic fibrosis-if you had you would have been diagnosed when you were born and the symptoms are way more severe. You probably just have a chest infection at worst-or just a common cough. Go to your GP and describe your symptoms to him-DO NOT mention any illnesses you think you might have-you will just sound like a silly hyperchonriac. For future refererence so that you don't post silly posts in the future-ask a family member-or go on Web MD if you are unsure of your illness.
Reply 5
If you had that, you'd have probably lived regularly suffocating for unknown reasons your entire life. Don't be an idiot, honestly, people with this ailment don't usually lead perfectly normal lives.

Cold air and slight irritations and infections all make it that people get the sniffles, the flu, bronchitis, sinusitis, in winter and throughout the year. There's nothing genetic going on there, just go see a doctor if you're worried it's something worse than 'winter sniffles'.
Reply 6
Original post by JustSayin'
You do not have cystic fibrosis-if you had you would have been diagnosed when you were born and the symptoms are way more severe. You probably just have a chest infection at worst-or just a common cough. Go to your GP and describe your symptoms to him-DO NOT mention any illnesses you think you might have-you will just sound like a silly hyperchonriac. For future refererence so that you don't post silly posts in the future-ask a family member-or go on Web MD if you are unsure of your illness.

No people who self-diagnose like that would see any symptom of anything on those sites and immediately assume they have cancer and proceed to write their will. :tongue:
Reply 7
CF is congenital......so you'd have known about it a lot sooner than now.You probably have a chest infection.
I think you would have been a sickly child and docs would have picked it up sooner surely?

It is Winter, most likely a chest infection. Don't tell your doc you have CF you'll look silly. :s-smilie:
Reply 9
don't worry...it's not cystic fibrosis.
Reply 10
Original post by Schemilix
No people who self-diagnose like that would see any symptom of anything on those sites and immediately assume they have cancer and proceed to write their will. :tongue:

I'm trying to tell her that she shouldn't self diagnose and instead should google her symptoms or use web MD-that's what I do!
Original post by JustSayin'
I'm trying to tell her that she shouldn't self diagnose and instead should google her symptoms or use web MD-that's what I do!

That's self diagnosing. What do you think it is?
Reply 12
Im not too sure but im sure you would of known ages ago if u had it. My cusion died from cystic fibrosis a couple of years ago and he had it since he was really young. if it continues for a month or so then maybe go get yourself checked out
Reply 13
lol trust me, if you had cystic fibrosis, you would'v found out during early childhood. It is a severe genetic disease and severely reduces life expectancy.
If you did and doctors didn't figure that out when you were born you would be dead by now because of all the therapy and drugs cystic fibrosis sufferers endure.
Reply 15
Cystic fibrosis requires therapy everyday to mobilise the mucus from the chest and sufferers don't have a very good prognosis generally. That's how bad it is. You would known if you had it.
Reply 16
To your calculations it would mean that I should be dead.
Yeahhh, if you had CF you'd have had it from birth, and if you'd not had treatment you'd be dead by now.
In other words don't be such a baby and take some cough medicine. :tongue:
Its probably just a chest infection- don't jump to conclusions!

But just to everyone saying you have Cystic Fibrosis from birth, while that is true most of the time its not in all cases. My mum had CF and passed away 11 years ago, but she wasn't diagnosed with it until she was 21. And she was 39 when she died. But then again, she had suffered severe chest infections and pneumonia with chronic bowel problems since birth, it just went undiagnosed I think.

Quick Reply

Latest