The Student Room Group

Peninsula dentistry. . 2011 /2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Hi

I have an interview on the 21st at 2.15 is anyone else on that day? Really worried, been reading other ethical issues, Heat mag has taken a back seat.

Does anyone have any tips? I'd love to know how many people that they have to see and what type of work back ground they come from. Is there anyone who is from a dental back ground on here? I am I was just trying to see who else, not like it matter too much. Any health care professtional background is good.

xx
Reply 121
Original post by cptKernow
So, any of you who lucky people who got interviews care to do a little mentoring?! No seriously, if any of you would be so kind as to have a look over my PS or anything like that and say what you think I would be immensely grateful. Just PM me if you can spare the time.

Hi I really don't mind looking over it for you if it helps. I got an interview and i'm from a dental background and i'm good at things like that.

:smile:
Reply 122
Original post by X-tine
Hi

I have an interview on the 21st at 2.15 is anyone else on that day? Really worried, been reading other ethical issues, Heat mag has taken a back seat.

Does anyone have any tips? I'd love to know how many people that they have to see and what type of work back ground they come from. Is there anyone who is from a dental back ground on here? I am I was just trying to see who else, not like it matter too much. Any health care professtional background is good.

xx

yea i got one then too. i have a dental background don't know much about the interview procedure haven't even started preparing yet :s-smilie:... what have you been reading ?
Reply 123
Hi x-tine, im glad you think Mel wouldnt mind, it was great to read someones experience who has already been through the process! Do you know if shes enjoying the course so far?!

Ive got an interview on the 21st aswell. In regards to preperation i dont really know what to do other than practice my answers for the most obvious questions. By the sounds of what Mel said they dont seem to ask you too much about Dentistry itself, more about how you would deal with certain situations?! Im glad there are other health professionals applying, nice to know there will be a few of us there on the day! :-D
Reply 124
Hi

Mell did not go in the end due to money issues. However, she is working as a dental therapist and is earning well so she happy. She's a good friend of mine and such a lovely person.

I'm just reading over everything they say on their web page.
I'm a dental nurse over 12 years working and done loads of course and now in my last year of a BSc. My sceince backgroud is not as high as some other on here but I don't think that matters too much. I think they might have liked that all my past qualifications are all dental and i take impressions and x-rays and make bleaching trays.

I'm so happy they have taken the time to see me, when you call they are always so warming. Whats your background? :smile:
Reply 125
Original post by Dental tech

Hi

Whats your dental background dental tech. I'm guessing its a lab technician?
Reply 126
Yeah they are always so nice on the phone! Gives a good impression lol. Oh wow yeah with your experience im sure you will sail the interview..

Ive worked as a general nurse (what my BSc is in) for the last 3 1/2 years, 2 of which ive worked on intensive care. A family friend is a dentist and she set me up with a variety of work placements including a GDP, oral surgeon and a community paediatric dentist. I have also done bank shifts on my local max fax wards and whilst on ICU i used to put myself forward to care for the max fax patients, an area i find fascinating really.

I cant believe the interviews are next week, it seems like we only found out 5 minutes ago! Do you have far to travel? It said on the letter i got from them that the day should finish at 1.30pm, but your interview is 2.15? I wonder if they split the interview groups into two halfs?! Do you have to be there for 0815? :-D
Reply 127
Original post by gibsoni10
Yeah they are always so nice on the phone! Gives a good impression lol. Oh wow yeah with your experience im sure you will sail the interview..

Ive worked as a general nurse (what my BSc is in) for the last 3 1/2 years, 2 of which ive worked on intensive care. A family friend is a dentist and she set me up with a variety of work placements including a GDP, oral surgeon and a community paediatric dentist. I have also done bank shifts on my local max fax wards and whilst on ICU i used to put myself forward to care for the max fax patients, an area i find fascinating really.

I cant believe the interviews are next week, it seems like we only found out 5 minutes ago! Do you have far to travel? It said on the letter i got from them that the day should finish at 1.30pm, but your interview is 2.15? I wonder if they split the interview groups into two halfs?! Do you have to be there for 0815? :-D

Well done for getting an interview, I'm quite impressed with your dental related work shadowing experience, it's not the 'normal' type which applicants have. Which region are you based in? I'm currently finding it difficult to get MaxFax related work shadowing.
Reply 128
Hi Sam-Dent, i was quite lucky really, the family friend who's a dentist managed to get me the oral surgeon and community paediatric dentist placement. The GDP i got whilst with the oral surgeon who knew the GDP! Where have you tried to get placements? I used to live in Brighton and tried to get some placements there but most GDPs were a bit funny about it (i live in dorset now). Have you applied to any unis this year?
Reply 129

As a RGN i'm sure you will be ok, as your deal with ethical issues everyday.

I'm coming from Leeds so down night before. My letter say be there at 12.15 my interview is at 2.15 and they said I will be able to leave for 15.00. I'm so happy, i was worried I was not going to get an interview as its so hard. But they must of liked us hey? I think our background did it for us, we have hands on experience and the BSc (well i will in 2012). Its all on the interview and my grades.

I'm really good with people but its so hard when your being marked hey? Do you live close by?
Reply 130
Original post by X-tine
As a RGN i'm sure you will be ok, as your deal with ethical issues everyday.

I'm coming from Leeds so down night before. My letter say be there at 12.15 my interview is at 2.15 and they said I will be able to leave for 15.00. I'm so happy, i was worried I was not going to get an interview as its so hard. But they must of liked us hey? I think our background did it for us, we have hands on experience and the BSc (well i will in 2012). Its all on the interview and my grades.

I'm really good with people but its so hard when your being marked hey? Do you live close by?

Aww they must be splitting the day into two then, ive to be there for 0815 and can leave by 1330! Yeah i know what you mean i was worried that they wanted people with more science related backgrounds but obviously experience counts for a lot at peninsula!

Yeah im a bit apprehensive about the whole interview process but by the sounds of it there just trying to find out what kind of people we are, so i guess just try and be ourselves and answer to the best of our ability. I live in dorset so its about a 2.5-3hr drive away, im going to stay the night before just as we have to be there so early so i can be all fresh for questions lol!

Well good luck for your interview anyway :-D
Reply 131
Aww they must be splitting the day into two then, ive to be there for 0815 and can leave by 1330! Yeah i know what you mean i was worried that they wanted people with more science related backgrounds but obviously experience counts for a lot at peninsula!

Yeah im a bit apprehensive about the whole interview process but by the sounds of it there just trying to find out what kind of people we are, so i guess just try and be ourselves and answer to the best of our ability. I live in dorset so its about a 2.5-3hr drive away, im going to stay the night before just as we have to be there so early so i can be all fresh for questions lol!

Well good luck for your interview anyway :-D

I'm in Stockport and have tried to get some MaxFax related experience by ringing up hospitals and the Manchester Dental School. Where else have you applied? I'm applying next year after taking a gap year to save some money, I'm currently finishing my degree.
Reply 132
Original post by sam-dent
I'm in Stockport and have tried to get some MaxFax related experience by ringing up hospitals and the Manchester Dental School. Where else have you applied? I'm applying next year after taking a gap year to save some money, I'm currently finishing my degree.

Oh right cool have you managed to get any placements with them? What degree is it your studying? I applied to Kings, Queen mary and liverpool aswell but liverpool dont accept health related degrees (why i applied i dont know!) and the two in london look at the UKCAT test (which was a complete disaster lol). I havent heard back from the other 3 yet but i presume i havent got it. I only really want to go to Peninsula, i dont think i could afford london and Peninsula has got a great reputation.

Well good luck with your application next year! :-D
Reply 133
Oh right cool have you managed to get any placements with them? What degree is it your studying? I applied to Kings, Queen mary and liverpool aswell but liverpool dont accept health related degrees (why i applied i dont know!) and the two in london look at the UKCAT test (which was a complete disaster lol). I havent heard back from the other 3 yet but i presume i havent got it. I only really want to go to Peninsula, i dont think i could afford london and Peninsula has got a great reputation.

Well good luck with your application next year! :-D

Thanks, what did you get in your UKCAT? Kings haven't started yet for the 4 year couse so you still have a chance!
Reply 134
Original post by X-tine
Hi

Whats your dental background dental tech. I'm guessing its a lab technician?

yea denta technician 1st in my degree... and qualified dental nurse :smile: x
Reply 135
Anyone know how many people are being interviewed?
Reply 136
Original post by Dental tech

Hi

I'm qualified dental nurse, and i'm doing a BSc at the moment. I thought I was the only dental nurse, good to see someone else. I have been a dental nurse for about 12 years and done various qualifications and really wanted to be a dentist so thought i'd go for it.

Good luck with your interview. I feel ready for my interview been working on it since I got the letter. Where did you study before?

Good luck with the interview.
Reply 137
Hi has anyone had an interview yet? If so hope it went well.
Reply 138
Original post by X-tine
Hi has anyone had an interview yet? If so hope it went well.

I have mine on tuesday ****ting my pants about it!! Been practising the normal questions like why PCMD and why dentistry any tips?
Reply 139
Original post by cavvic
I have mine on tuesday ****ting my pants about it!! Been practising the normal questions like why PCMD and why dentistry any tips?

I have mine then too, is your's in the afternoon? Trying to read as much as I can about Peninsula.

Quick Reply

Latest