The Student Room Group

Applying for Primary Education 2012 in Scotland...?

Hi,

I thought I would start a thread for those of us interested in studying primary education or secondary education next year at university.
I got 4 Highers last year in 5th year - AACC and am doing another 4 this year.

I really want to get into Glasgow or Strathclyde- they are my two main aims- with Edinburgh or Stirling my third and fourth choices.

What sort of things are you all putting on your personal statement since this is crucially a deciding factor in this course.
And also, how are you feeling about the interviews that will follow if you are possibly going to be given a place.

Where are all of you hoping to get into and where are you applying to?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Brad22
Hi,

I thought I would start a thread for those of us interested in studying primary education or secondary education next year at university.
I got 4 Highers last year in 5th year - AACC and am doing another 4 this year.

I really want to get into Glasgow or Strathclyde- they are my two main aims- with Edinburgh or Stirling my third and fourth choices.

What sort of things are you all putting on your personal statement since this is crucially a deciding factor in this course.
And also, how are you feeling about the interviews that will follow if you are possibly going to be given a place.

Where are all of you hoping to get into and where are you applying to?

Whoo hoo! another guy applying for teaching - thought I was the only one :P

I'm in 5th year doing 5 highers now, really hope I get into Edinburgh or Aberdeen with Glasgow, Strathclyde and Dundee and my other options :smile: Havn't even started on the PS yet, too much stuff to do right now.

Interviews should be okay, I think I'm pretty confident and know my stuff, just got to do a lot of reading up on the CfE.

What experience do you have? Been to any open days, I've been to Edinburgh and got Dundee tomorrow then Strathclyde, UWS and Stirling over the next month :smile: What Highers are you doing/ did you do?
Reply 2
Original post by aroy45
Whoo hoo! another guy applying for teaching - thought I was the only one :P

I'm in 5th year doing 5 highers now, really hope I get into Edinburgh or Aberdeen with Glasgow, Strathclyde and Dundee and my other options :smile: Havn't even started on the PS yet, too much stuff to do right now.

Interviews should be okay, I think I'm pretty confident and know my stuff, just got to do a lot of reading up on the CfE.

What experience do you have? Been to any open days, I've been to Edinburgh and got Dundee tomorrow then Strathclyde, UWS and Stirling over the next month :smile: What Highers are you doing/ did you do?

Yes, I thought I was the only guy applying to primary education aswell... lol.

I have begun my personal statement and been to a few open days - Strathclyde and Glasgow, but I have to say that I am really wanting to get into Glasgow- it is my number one choice.
Yes, I think the interviews should be okay.
I am on a placement at my local primary school one day a week which is good experience to have as well as confirm that I want to studying teaching at University.
Do you have any sort of experience as well?

Last year I did 4 Highers and this year I am doing another four - hopefully will not need to much to gain a place.

How about yourself...? I take it you don't live in the West of Scotland if you are planning on going to Edinburgh or Aberdeen, or are you moving away?

Oh, and yes it is great fun having to learn the Curriculum of Excellence inside-out. :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by Brad22
Yes, I thought I was the only guy applying to primary education aswell... lol.

I have begun my personal statement and been to a few open days - Strathclyde and Glasgow, but I have to say that I am really wanting to get into Glasgow- it is my number one choice.
Yes, I think the interviews should be okay.
I am on a placement at my local primary school one day a week which is good experience to have as well as confirm that I want to studying teaching at University.
Do you have any sort of experience as well?

Last year I did 4 Highers and this year I am doing another four - hopefully will not need to much to gain a place.

How about yourself...? I take it you don't live in the West of Scotland if you are planning on going to Edinburgh or Aberdeen, or are you moving away?

Oh, and yes it is great fun having to learn the Curriculum of Excellence inside-out. :biggrin:

I'm doing an afternoon a week in a primary, helping out at Donaldson's school for the deaf once a week and twice a week at an after school care club ( i get paid for the last one though :biggrin:) I just outside Edinburgh but I really want to move away. I like Glasgow, but the Dumfries campus because catholic Teaching doesn't interest me at all :P
Reply 4
Original post by aroy45
I'm doing an afternoon a week in a primary, helping out at Donaldson's school for the deaf once a week and twice a week at an after school care club ( i get paid for the last one though :biggrin:) I just outside Edinburgh but I really want to move away. I like Glasgow, but the Dumfries campus because catholic Teaching doesn't interest me at all :P

So what subjects are you studying this year?

And what activities or roles in school will you be able to mention on your UCAS application.
Reply 5
Original post by Brad22
So what subjects are you studying this year?

And what activities or roles in school will you be able to mention on your UCAS application.

English, Maths, French, Physics and RMPS, wbu?
I've been a member of debating for 5 years+ lead the meetings every few weeks, run activities for P7s going into S1, ran a P7/S1 art exhibition for 4 years, organised and ran healthy eating and nutrition talks for P7s and help at the junior drama group :smile: wbu
Reply 6
Original post by aroy45
English, Maths, French, Physics and RMPS, wbu?
I've been a member of debating for 5 years+ lead the meetings every few weeks, run activities for P7s going into S1, ran a P7/S1 art exhibition for 4 years, organised and ran healthy eating and nutrition talks for P7s and help at the junior drama group :smile: wbu

I did English, Maths, French and History last year.

This year I am doing, Biology, Computing, Modern Studies and Spanish.
I am involved in various things in the school.
I mentor younger pupils in class- Peer Support, on the Charity Committee, on the Yearbook Committee etc etc.

I think everyone is trying to put as many things as they can on their UCAS Personal Statement. :colondollar:

Also, why do you want to study Primary Education at University?
Reply 7
Original post by Brad22
I did English, Maths, French and History last year.

This year I am doing, Biology, Computing, Modern Studies and Spanish.
I am involved in various things in the school.
I mentor younger pupils in class- Peer Support, on the Charity Committee, on the Yearbook Committee etc etc.

I think everyone is trying to put as many things as they can on their UCAS Personal Statement. :colondollar:

Also, why do you want to study Primary Education at University?

Sorta hard to explain :L Need to try and get it into words for interviews
Reply 8
Original post by aroy45
Sorta hard to explain :L Need to try and get it into words for interviews

Have you started your application for UCAS yet
Reply 9
oh i've applied for primary teaching too!! have you guys had anything back from any universities yet?
Reply 10
Original post by et_29
oh i've applied for primary teaching too!! have you guys had anything back from any universities yet?

nope :frown: got acknowledgements but no interviews :frown: where did you apply? :smile:
Reply 11
I'm applying for primary teaching too at stirling, edinburgh, strathclyde, dundee and aberdeen...

unfortunately i have a C in english, so im resitting this year as a part of my gap year to upgrade.
Are you all happy with your personal statements?
I found a lot the unis online course descriptions quite confusing in terms of joint degrees and the course structure and content ..... Just me?
Where have you applied to?
Reply 12
Original post by aroy45
nope :frown: got acknowledgements but no interviews :frown: where did you apply? :smile:

i hadnt heard anything other than acknowledgements either until yesterday but i got an email late afternoon saying i was invited to an interview at dundee! so maybe you'll get something soon too if you've applied there?! i've applied to edinburgh, aberdeen, dundee and glasgow. what about you? :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by et_29
i hadnt heard anything other than acknowledgements either until yesterday but i got an email late afternoon saying i was invited to an interview at dundee! so maybe you'll get something soon too if you've applied there?! i've applied to edinburgh, aberdeen, dundee and glasgow. what about you? :smile:

Same as you plus Strathclyde :biggrin: omggggg, I'm freaking out now! Wither I get news soon or have to wait over Christmas :|
I'm applying for Primary Education at Stirling, Glasgow, Strathclyde and Dundee. I only submitted my application a few days ago. I'm in 5th year just now, so I haven't sat my highers yet. How long should it take for any offers to be made? I'm terrified!
Reply 15
Original post by sounimaginative
I'm applying for Primary Education at Stirling, Glasgow, Strathclyde and Dundee. I only submitted my application a few days ago. I'm in 5th year just now, so I haven't sat my highers yet. How long should it take for any offers to be made? I'm terrified!

I'm in fifth year too xD What subjects are you doing and why are you applying this year? I got an email from Aberdeen and Dundee yesterday, about had a heart attack then realized they were just saying 'Merry Christmas.' pinvft0rnvbt
Reply 16
Original post by aroy45
Same as you plus Strathclyde :biggrin: omggggg, I'm freaking out now! Wither I get news soon or have to wait over Christmas :|

haha nah don't, i probs sent my application in sooner or something! hope you hear something soon! :smile: and yeah i got that merry christmas thing from abrdn too, got so excited and then realised what it was!!
Reply 17
Well...the next generation of school teachers aren't looking too bright.
Reply 18
Original post by yothi5
Well...the next generation of school teachers aren't looking too bright.

What are you referring to by that?!
Reply 19
Hii,

I've applied to Aberdeen and Stirling as I really want to do Primary Education AND Spanish in particular... no news yet, but I was wondering, could anyone please clear up for me what happens with regards to interviews?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest