The Student Room Group

Insecure about my body

Scroll to see replies

You can't lose weight on one part of your body or spot reduce, you have to lose fat all over. I thought people knew this in 2011.
Reply 21
Original post by ilovepetedoherty<3
Hey, I'm really insecure about my body and i hate looking at myself in the mirror. I am pear shaped, a size 6 on top but a size 10 on bottom and my body looks weird. I have a very small waist but a huge bum. Is there anything i can do to reduce the size of my bottom half? exercises or certain diets? I'd try anything to make my body look more even.

This is like me, 8 on top with really small boobs and large 10 on bottom. I'm trying to lose weight on my bottom half. I do loads and loads of walking, about 1 hour a day at least, and I do exercises in my room, have a look at this:

http://exercise.about.com/cs/butthipsthighs/l/bllegsbuttthigh.htm

At first I was worried that it would just make me muscly and it would look worse, but I think you need heavy weights and really intensive training for that to happen, I've been doing it for a few weeks and I can tell the difference
Reply 22
Original post by chronic_fatigue
You can't lose weight on one part of your body or spot reduce, you have to lose fat all over. I thought people knew this in 2011.

Not true. You can create an illusion of having lost weight on just one part of the body by toning it. So with exercise you can visually spot reduce
Welcome to the world of being a woman...literally all women are insecure about how they look in some way, shape or form! Maybe running is the best thing really to burn fat on your lower half but sounds good to me as it is...then again, the grass is always greener! Did you put a picture up?
Original post by abc:)
Not true. You can create an illusion of having lost weight on just one part of the body by toning it. So with exercise you can visually spot reduce

Not if there is fat covering it. If there is a part of your body with little fat and you exercise the muscles there you will see it but if there is fat there you have to lose the fat first through some sort of CV exercise. Doing 200 crunches a day will not give you a six pack if you have fat covering your abs.
Try cyclin???

Im sure its not that bad but I guess u can tone it down a bit??
Reply 26
Original post by ilovepetedoherty<3
Hey, I'm really insecure about my body and i hate looking at myself in the mirror. I am pear shaped, a size 6 on top but a size 10 on bottom and my body looks weird. I have a very small waist but a huge bum. Is there anything i can do to reduce the size of my bottom half? exercises or certain diets? I'd try anything to make my body look more even.

Bb, you don't sound terrible looking at all, I'm in a similar situation as you, I'm so self conscious I don't even want to wear Jeans. My thighs are really big and when I put on weight that's where it goes.
I would suggest eating cleanly, and being really honest about the amount/substance that you eat. Don't look at other people who scoff down sweets and then don't put on any weight at all, everyone is different.
My mum usually told me to eat the majority of crabs in the morning/afternoon and then eat a high protein meal in the evening. It's actually started to work, so don't do anything drastic like Yo Yo dieting, that's not healthy.

:hugs:
I have a similar problem. Make sure you're wearing clothes to suit your shape. It'll highlight your good points and allude to you having more on top.

Show off your slim top half with strapless tops and dresses. Choose jackets that cut off above the hip line. Look for skirts with front pleats. A-line skirts also work well as they make the waist look small, while skimming over the hips. Showcase your small waist with a thin belt across the smallest part. Shoulderpads in jackets will help broaden your top half and balance out wider hips.
Original post by lolasland
Bb, you don't sound terrible looking at all, I'm in a similar situation as you, I'm so self conscious I don't even want to wear Jeans. My thighs are really big and when I put on weight that's where it goes.
I would suggest eating cleanly, and being really honest about the amount/substance that you eat. Don't look at other people who scoff down sweets and then don't put on any weight at all, everyone is different.
My mum usually told me to eat the majority of crabs in the morning/afternoon and then eat a high protein meal in the evening. It's actually started to work, so don't do anything drastic like Yo Yo dieting, that's not healthy.

:teehee:

I didn't get to see the picture OP :frown:
Reply 29
Original post by chronic_fatigue
Not if there is fat covering it. If there is a part of your body with little fat and you exercise the muscles there you will see it but if there is fat there you have to lose the fat first through some sort of CV exercise. Doing 200 crunches a day will not give you a six pack if you have fat covering your abs.

True I spose. It works for me cause I'm not really fat and I've cut my calories slightly anyway. But yeah the exercises I put up are worth a go, OP
Reply 30
Original post by sarahthegemini
:teehee:

I didn't get to see the picture OP :frown:

Hahahaha Ooooooh whoops, damn IPad

I don't think this thing even uploaded my pictures in my profile, did it?
(edited 12 years ago)

Are you EFFING kidding me, you look like a Victoria Secrets model in your pictures. Uuuuuuuuurgh its always the gorgeous one who have no self esteem
Original post by lolasland

youre mega HOT
Reply 33
i'd smash the fuk out of you judging from your album photos
Reply 34
A 6 on top and 10 on bottom isn't that much of a difference, so you probably look fine. It's only because it's you that you notice, you probably wouldn't notice on other people.
However, there are exercises you can do to help tone any problem areas (just a quick google search, though squats and lunges may be helpful to you). Unfortunately, there is no way to lose fat in a specific place, it's to do with total body fat. Also, if you are structured that way, whether you were fat or thin, it wouldn't matter because your hips may be larger.
You can try dressing in different styles though, which can make a huge difference. I'm not an expert on this though, so I'd suggest asking some else/looking elsewhere for that information.

Quick Reply

Latest