The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by *Sparkle*
I got sent home, I could barely make it up the stairs. Why is science always on the top floor lol

O no :frown: hope your better soon!
Original post by *Sparkle*
I got sent home, I could barely make it up the stairs. Why is science always on the top floor lol

Get well soon! :smile:

Oooh 2 assignments in for Friday, looks like it's going to be a laaate night! Also, you know you're on a PGCE when the 12 books allowance from the library isn't enough! :tongue:
Original post by jaime1986
Aaw, this made me giggle...Not at you being ill, but your tone, I feel for you! Trust it to happen just as you are getting to the hols :frown: I've got a feeling I'm heading the same way - No illness since PGCE started, but I have a tickly throat..COME ON immune system :redface:

You'll get everything going for about the first 3 years and then it all settles down and you don't get much at all. The more germs, the merrier, really. At one point, my husband, two kids and I were dealing with the germs from 4 different schools, so we certainly got our immunity built up the hard yet quick way.
Original post by balloon_parade
Get well soon! :smile:

Oooh 2 assignments in for Friday, looks like it's going to be a laaate night! Also, you know you're on a PGCE when the 12 books allowance from the library isn't enough! :tongue:

Hahaha we're allowed 20 which I thought was obscene but I totally get it now. I'm back at uni tomorrow for the day, been sorting stuff out for 8 hours straight :-( my body is so tired but my brain is telling me what I could be doing better. Shut up brain!!!
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Well, you won't have to write essays once you've finished your training and when you've been doing it a few years, planning goes out of the window. Some of the best lessons I've had have been made up as I've turned the doorhandle to enter the classroom.:redface:

This is good to hear! I've seen teacher's 'throw' lessons together in seconds and good ones too! I guess once you've taught sows a couple of times you have a good idea of what works and what doesn't.
This is good to hear! I've seen teacher's 'throw' lessons together in seconds and good ones too! I guess once you've taught sows a couple of times you have a good idea of what works and what doesn't.

I genuinely thought you meant female pigs there for a few minutes! (Not a bad description of some kids, come to think of it!)
I visited my next placement school this afternoon, seems nice enough, I think about three of them will be mentoring me so that could be interesting, having two didn't go so well last time after all. Also there's one teacher with a rather amusing name which I obviously won't post!

I just really hope this works out, the department is a lot bigger than my last one and I'm not sure how I'll deal with that, could be better, could be worse, just have to wait and see I guess.
Reply 727
Original post by noodles!
I visited my next placement school this afternoon, seems nice enough, I think about three of them will be mentoring me so that could be interesting, having two didn't go so well last time after all. Also there's one teacher with a rather amusing name which I obviously won't post!

I just really hope this works out, the department is a lot bigger than my last one and I'm not sure how I'll deal with that, could be better, could be worse, just have to wait and see I guess.

You're teasing us with the amusing name now!!
are most students who take pgce courses women?
Original post by Papo1489

I'd imagine it depends on the subject. :smile:

On my course [primary], the ratio is roughly 2:1 [girls:guys]. :smile:

For Primary, yes. Of the 200 or so people on my course, 20 are blokes- we have a "support group" because there are many issues about being in a female-dominated environment, not just child protection angles, but also from the practical day-to-day aspects of staffroom conversation, etc.

On my Secondary English course there are 6 men out of 25 people on the course. However, when we have had sessions with the Geography group there looked tp be more men than women.
I'm science and we're roughly 50/50.
On my Secondary English course there are 6 men out of 25 people on the course. However, when we have had sessions with the Geography group there looked tp be more men than women.

The proportions haven't changed since I did mine nearly 30 years ago, when there were 4 men out of 20.

I'm doing PGCE Lower Primary and there's 22 in the class and 3 are male.

I'm sure it will work out! It's good to have completely different schools on placement, gives you more of a varied experience to refer to when applying for jobs! I've got my visit for my next placement on Tuesday, looking forward to it, also slightly nervous. Fingers crossed it's as lovely as it sounds on its website!
First term over and done with (for everyone I presume...)

Well done everyone, we'll be finished before we know it!
First term over and done with (for everyone I presume...)

Well done everyone, we'll be finished before we know it!

Whoop whoop!!! Had the BEST last day at school, presents, SNOW, great xmas assembly and dancing to Wizard with my form group... a truly magical day :biggrin:
I've finally finished. I can hardly believe it. 15 weeks since we last had more than a day [or weekend] off, so I am suitably shattered. Now I have to pack to head home tomorrow - a fun task given all the pgce related stuff I've got to do over the next couple of weeks. Eck. :smile:

On a brighter note, in history today, we made Greek helmets and the tutor talked about using them in role play etc with the children. Groovy [I got some funny looks getting the bus home with it though, I must say lol]. :smile:
Original post by affinity89
I've finally finished. I can hardly believe it. 15 weeks since we last had more than a day [or weekend] off, so I am suitably shattered. Now I have to pack to head home tomorrow - a fun task given all the pgce related stuff I've got to do over the next couple of weeks. Eck. :smile:

On a brighter note, in history today, we made Greek helmets and the tutor talked about using them in role play etc with the children. Groovy [I got some funny looks getting the bus home with it though, I must say lol]. :smile:
That's a mighty fine hat.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending