The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by riotgrrl
Thanks guys :smile:
I'm actually working Saturday and Sunday so the weekend is meaningless to me, but I am off tommorrow! :woo: My boyfriend arrives to stay tonight and we're gonna go see New Year's Eve at the cinema.

What are you all up to this weekend?

Aha, well then, Tomorrow is definitely almost here :woo:

Aww, sounds nice. Bring back some popcorn for us.

I'm just chilling with friends and shopping and probably cinema. Been so busy with work but now that term is ending, I'll be able to catch up with everyone :yes:

Original post by greeneyedgirl

Ha ha it does sound like a really bad chat up line...but honestly your phonemes must be amazing! Damn me and my measley 40 out of 144

This is why I want my children to be bilingual

I'd have no hope of teaching my kids my mother tongues. When we came to the UK I had to speak English so much that I kind of lost my ability to speak the language. I can understand it, even read it and for common things I can muster up some sentences. But I've largely lost my ability to speak + write for example, I couldn't write an essay or present in the language in the same depth as english.

But I do plan on keeping my Italian and Japanese hopefully. I have no idea how many I have :tongue: How do you find out?

I don't know if they are that amazing, but I do like languages. Definitely want my kids to be multilingual. Though, I find it really annoying when people are surprised by my origins, accent, pronunciation and general English though.
I want my kids to be able to speak Sinhala. I, however, don't speak Sinhala :ninja: So I have to hope my husband will :biggrin:
Original post by Facticity
How scandalous :wink: I misjudged you Willow :beard:
I'm confused, you're perfectly fine with what? Reading? That wouldn't be weird considering I said everyone should read :s-smilie:
Unless I just misunderstood your point. Most likely that :ninja:

Haha. I'm so sorry! I hope you aren't too disappointed with me... :frown:

What I meant was "It sounds weird to say this, but I don't care ("I'm perfectly fine with it")". Books aren't something that immediately leap into my mind when I think of things that are central to my life, but if I actually think about it, the books I've read have shaped me more than other influence I can think of - including my parents. Oh, and that's not even including the bible - that gets a category to itself.

YAY

Yay indeed. How did the nail painting go? I still want to know what makes them Christmassy :tongue:
Original post by Facticity
Aha, well then, Tomorrow is definitely almost here :woo:

Aww, sounds nice. Bring back some popcorn for us.

I'm just chilling with friends and shopping and probably cinema. Been so busy with work but now that term is ending, I'll be able to catch up with everyone :yes:

I'd have no hope of teaching my kids my mother tongues. When we came to the UK I had to speak English so much that I kind of lost my ability to speak the language. I can understand it, even read it and for common things I can muster up some sentences. But I've largely lost my ability to speak + write for example, I couldn't write an essay or present in the language in the same depth as english.

But I do plan on keeping my Italian and Japanese hopefully. I have no idea how many I have :tongue: How do you find out?

I don't know if they are that amazing, but I do like languages. Definitely want my kids to be multilingual. Though, I find it really annoying when people are surprised by my origins, accent, pronunciation and general English though.

You can only find out through a lot of tests if you're multilingual to see whether you can differentiate between different phonemes. Because when you're around 1 year old (I could be wrong on age but something around then) you lose the ability to distinguish between phonemes not in your native tongue/tongues. This is why Japanese people struggle with l and r as there is no phonemic differentiation between them in Japanese :yep:
Original post by EEngWillow
Haha. I'm so sorry! I hope you aren't too disappointed with me... :frown:

What I meant was "It sounds weird to say this, but I don't care ("I'm perfectly fine with it")". Books aren't something that immediately leap into my mind when I think of things that are central to my life, but if I actually think about it, the books I've read have shaped me more than other influence I can think of - including my parents. Oh, and that's not even including the bible - that gets a category to itself.

Yay indeed. How did the nail painting go? I still want to know what makes them Christmassy :tongue:

I have a candy cane, glitter, santa, a christmas tree and a reindeer on one hand, and christmas lights on the other!
Reply 9605
You can only find out through a lot of tests if you're multilingual to see whether you can differentiate between different phonemes. Because when you're around 1 year old (I could be wrong on age but something around then) you lose the ability to distinguish between phonemes not in your native tongue/tongues. This is why Japanese people struggle with l and r as there is no phonemic differentiation between them in Japanese :yep:

I went to a talk on linguistic profiling recently which was pretty interesting and kind of similar stuff :smile: Are you studying it at university?

Ooh I just got really excited because I went to save the first paragraph of my essay and word told me I already had a document saved as that, but when I opened it I had only written the title :'( I did find a plan that I did months ago though :biggrin:
Reply 9606
Original post by Josiea
I went to a talk on linguistic profiling recently which was pretty interesting and kind of similar stuff :smile: Are you studying it at university?

Ooh I just got really excited because I went to save the first paragraph of my essay and word told me I already had a document saved as that, but when I opened it I had only written the title :'( I did find a plan that I did months ago though :biggrin:

Just seen where you 'live' are you from Lancaster or studying there?
I have a candy cane, glitter, santa, a christmas tree and a reindeer on one hand, and christmas lights on the other!

:redface: pics! That does sound rather Christmassy :yep:

EDIT:
Original post by 22KT22

Hey! I feel like we haven't spoken for ages. How're you?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Josiea

I study English language at uni, but within that we do a lot of linguistics! Very interesting!

EDIT:

I will take pics when all dry and got top coat on etc. after all, gotta take for blog!

I will take pics when all dry and got top coat on etc. after all, gotta take for blog!

Aha. No rush, no rush.

Right, I need to watch last night's Masterchef before I can watch the final...which is airing now. So hopefully it goes onto iPlayer straight away. *Closes twitter and FB to avoid spoilers*
Reply 9610
Original post by 22KT22

From here :smile: I'm at school in Lancaster
Aha. No rush, no rush.

Right, I need to watch last night's Masterchef before I can watch the final...which is airing now. So hopefully it goes onto iPlayer straight away. *Closes twitter and FB to avoid spoilers*

It'll probably have to wait till tomorrow as I'm getting ready for night out now...
It'll probably have to wait till tomorrow as I'm getting ready for night out now...

All right for some. I have work tomorrow! AND I'm going in *earlier* than normal (6:30) so that I can leave straight after my 9:30 meeting to get to Guildford and hand in this report. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! I'll have to leave at like 5:45am to get in for then! :<
All right for some. I have work tomorrow! AND I'm going in *earlier* than normal (6:30) so that I can leave straight after my 9:30 meeting to get to Guildford and hand in this report. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! I'll have to leave at like 5:45am to get in for then! :&lt;

I'm FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

:hugs: that sucks.
I'm FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

:hugs: that sucks.

It does... but at least I can see Guildford at the end of this particular tunnel. Seeing Guildford always makes things better for me!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee dinner's ready! :drool:

EDIT: I finished it already. WHY IS MY PLATE EMPTY?!
(edited 12 years ago)
12hours on placement. 4.5hrs snooze. Night.
Reply 9616
Original post by Josiea
From here :smile: I'm at school in Lancaster

awesome I go to Cumbria :smile:
Reply 9617

EDIT:

Hey!! I'm good :smile: survived placement and passed with flying colours so now trying to catch up with the rest of my life so meeting up with friends and christmas shopping. Had an amazing christmas lunch which i helped cook at church on Sunday and an amazing piece of outreach and spreading love and joy yesterday (we gave out free mulled wine and mince pies on campus) so all in all feeling very happy :biggrin: Plus i go home Saturday as long as there is no snow.

How about you?

I have been reading the thread but tend to forget to post.
It does... but at least I can see Guildford at the end of this particular tunnel. Seeing Guildford always makes things better for me!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee dinner's ready! :drool:

EDIT: I finished it already. WHY IS MY PLATE EMPTY?!

YAY tunnels!

Can you tell I'm in a really good mood? And no, I haven't been drinking.
Reply 9619
Original post by 22KT22
awesome I go to Cumbria :smile:

The uni? You chose well :biggrin: I'm going to be sad when I leave it :frown: though the shops aren't too impressive haha.

Latest

Trending

Trending