The Student Room Group

How to get A* at Additional Science ?

How do I get an A* at additional science. I have 2 weeks off for xmas holidays at the moment and am willing to put around 4 hours worth of studying into the subject. Everyone I know of says it's the hardest subject ever and it's too difficult to get an A, even a B, they've even put the highest sets in foundation tier as they're convinced it's too hard.

The people who succeeded at it, how did you? I'd love to hear any advice you have so can take it on board. I'm with the AQA board also.

Please quote me so I can check your answers, thanks in advance your help is greatly appreciated.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Magenta96
How do I get an A* at additional science. I have 2 weeks off for xmas holidays at the moment and am willing to put around 4 hours worth of studying into the subject. Everyone I know of says it's the hardest subject ever and it's too difficult to get an A, even a B, they've even put the highest sets in foundation tier as they're convinced it's too hard.

The people who succeeded at it, how did you? I'd love to hear any advice you have so can take it on board.

Please quote me so I can check your answers, thanks in advance your help is greatly appreciated.

Is this OCR? I would get the revision guides, particularly for biology as the definitions aren't usually stressed (at least they weren't when I did it). Last year in B7 (not additional science, but still) they tested us on a lot of definitions and things that were all found in the revision guide.
I'm currently doing AQA GCSE separate Science. In my mocks I got A* in all 3 sciences and all I did was revise following the specification which you can find on the AQA website and also get hold of CGP books as they are seriously amazing and have so much information in!
Good Luck :smile:
Reply 3
GCSE Bitesize and past papers :smile:
Reply 4
I made notes from the course-specific textbook, and tried to memorise as much of the information as possible. Then I did past papers :yep:
Reply 5
If you have a thick textbook, set it aside and forget about learning it. Get yourself an exam endorsed revision guide and the specification (on the AQA website most likely) and learn them. Then do every past paper you can get your hands on and make sure you get 90%+.

I don't see how you cannot get A* by just using that method.
Everyone I know of says it's the hardest subject ever

Ah, the naivety of GCSE students...
Work. Work hard.

That's why the A* students get the best opportunities.

They work hard.
Reply 8
Original post by michaelhaych

I agree. Edexcel GCSE Geography is so clearly the hardest subject
Reply 9
sorry to interrupt... as my sister is doing the same exam board, I just wanted to some advice as she has been put in a foundation tier and was told higher. Is there anything we can do about it as I've asked her school but they are saying its been done so can't be changed.
Is there anyway I can get her t do it privately?
CGP Revision guides + past papers

They are a godsend for GCSE science. Period.
(edited 12 years ago)
CGP Revision guides are really good for GCSE science. Buy one. Make additional notes in it to bits, don't care about keeping it neat and tidy. I wrecked mine, I used it to death! What I did was go through each page and summarise the notes on post it notes and stick them on. Then once I'd learnt every detail on the page I'd move on. Also past papers. DO THEM ALL. Personally I didn't sit down and do them myself, I just copied what was on the mark scheme onto a blank paper and learnt the answers so then I'd know exactly what they want you to say in the exam. All the same sort of questions come up. So seriously, do all of the exam papers. It really helps.

I didn't bother with revision notebooks etc because I don't see the point in copying paragraph after paragraph out. I just wrote key facts on post it notes :smile: Or mind maps! I think they're a waste of time too!

This worked for me anyway, and I got 100 UMS on every paper. :biggrin:

The people who succeeded at it, how did you? I'd love to hear any advice you have so can take it on board. I'm with the AQA board also.

I'm shocked people are saying its the hardest subject ever - i thought core was harder, i got 100% all you have to do is read tyhe textbook a couple of times, read a CGP if you cba, and the past papers, the questions are always the same so just loearn the markscheme, grade boundaries are so low, like as low as 32/45 sometimes, honestly dont worry :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by michaelhaych

This.
Reply 14
Original post by tooambitious
I'm shocked people are saying its the hardest subject ever - i thought core was harder, i got 100% all you have to do is read tyhe textbook a couple of times, read a CGP if you cba, and the past papers, the questions are always the same so just loearn the markscheme, grade boundaries are so low, like as low as 32/45 sometimes, honestly dont worry :biggrin:

Really? Wasn't aware the boundaries would be that low frankly. :redface:
Original post by c3ntury
Really? Wasn't aware the boundaries would be that low frankly. :redface:

sorry, this is AQA check here for raw to UMS convertor http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/
I'm assuming you're doing the exam in January coz there's no way you need to start revising for a GCSE exam for June right now.
Everyone I know of says it's the hardest subject ever and it's too difficult to get an A
. Its all about exam technique. GCSE exam tend to repeat themselves, look over past papers and I can guarantee there will be so many similarities.
Also the more you stress out about an exam the worse you might do. I did AQA GCSE Additional Science and got an A* (100 UMS in Biology, Chemistry and Physics) by just familiarising myself with the mark scheme. The exam board just like making it seem harder than it really is.
Reply 17
Learn the Spec
Original post by The Illuminati
I'm assuming you're doing the exam in January coz there's no way you need to start revising for a GCSE exam for June right now.
. Its all about exam technique. GCSE exam tend to repeat themselves, look over past papers and I can guarantee there will be so many similarities.
Also the more you stress out about an exam the worse you might do. I did AQA GCSE Additional Science and got an A* (100 UMS in Biology, Chemistry and Physics) by just familiarising myself with the mark scheme. The exam board just like making it seem harder than it really is.

I completely agree! Just look at the mark schemes and you'll know exactly what they want you to write, and there are questions that will come up again and again from past papers. I got 100 UMS in all three of my papers too :smile:
Reply 19
I got an A* by making notes from the CGP guide (post it note on each page to condense) and by doing all of the past papers. Questions are often repeated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending