The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6300
Original post by The Beaver

I also wonder what % of Bath students do the 3 year and what % do the 4 year...

I think I saw somewhere that a very high majority of all Bath students undertake a placement year (regardless of course)
I can see i have gatecrashed your thread but i would suggest that most of you applying this cycle should not panic because top universities like LSE , UCL and Warwick will be offering pretty much more places for home /UK students than any of the previous years due to the fact that they will be getting a bumper £9K unlike last year's incredible competition where LSE offered only a tiny 30% to home students and a tiny 35% at UCL for UK students so you might be getting 60% or so places for you . I m talking of Econ only , so that's why they are silent and taking their time . The level of competition isn't fierce this year compared to last year esp since it was the last year students were eligible for lower fees , so no one was looking forward to a gap year so that they would be welcomed by a £9K fees , so be hopeful .
Original post by Britty92
Don't know why people gave you negatives either, I don't mind being asked questions, and there was nothing rude about it :smile:

I got BBB in maths, bio and general studies, C in chem, and had only started AS econ last year which I got above 90% in :smile:
I applied to do chemical engineering last year because I was rushed into making a decision, but didnt want to do it so changed my mind in May and decided to stay a third year as I didn't feel ready to go to uni yet.

Sorry I talk so much :/

Original post by Tateco
And back to whether or not the course is going to get you into a BB FO IBD role based on a rumour that some irrational belief by some stupid power-crazy HR person has.

It's pretty obvious what was meant by a 'quantitative role', hardly a rumour either.
Reply 6304
Original post by Competencies
It's pretty obvious what was meant by a 'quantitative role', hardly a rumour either.

What do you mean it's hardly a rumour, it's certainly not a fact, and you told us something that you have obviously heard from someone else, thus it is a rumour.
Original post by MWM
Thnx for the help :smile:. So when you don't know the variance you can still use the "z" distribution along with s^2 provided n is large enough.

Sounds about right. :smile:
Reply 6306
Hmm, so can I just do a quick survey, Who would accept Bath over UCL/War based purely on job prospects ?
Reply 6307
Original post by MWM
Hmm, so can I just do a quick survey, Who would accept Bath over UCL/War based purely on job prospects ?

I wouldn't.
Reply 6308
Original post by internet tough guy

out of curiosity why did you ask? :smile:
Reply 6309
Original post by WalkerPrince

+

UCL did say we should hear this week...

how do you know UCL will reply this week?
Original post by MWM

I have a Bath offer. I DEFINITELY wouldn't. Have you applied for the sandwich year, is that why?
Original post by MWM

Not even close. No
Original post by MWM

noooooo wayyyyy... u kidding me right?? 1 placement year really isn't anything, if you got an economics degree from Warwick or UCL, u'll get an internship at an investment bank easily (unless there is a depression)...

by the way, just out of interest, would everyone prefer ucl over warwick over job prospects?
Original post by lordvulture
noooooo wayyyyy... u kidding me right?? 1 placement year really isn't anything, if you got an economics degree from Warwick or UCL, u'll get an internship at an investment bank easily (unless there is a depression)...

by the way, just out of interest, would everyone prefer ucl over warwick over job prospects?

Yeah I agree warwick/ucl are miles ahead, but out of those two I think it comes to preferences i.e. city or campus. A lot of people seem to say that UCL benefits by being in London, but I don't think there is that big a gap anyway.
Original post by crazy1234
Yeah I agree warwick/ucl are miles ahead, but out of those two I think it comes to preferences i.e. city or campus. A lot of people seem to say that UCL benefits by being in London, but I don't think there is that big a gap anyway.

I'd personally choose UCL over Warwick simply because I prefer the city life. Also UCL's location is more ideal when applying to schemes.

But there's not much if anything between them in terms of the quality of the course apparently.
Reply 6315
I have a Bath offer. I DEFINITELY wouldn't. Have you applied for the sandwich year, is that why?

I have an offer for the sandwich course, yea.
Original post by Tomatochuckers
I'd personally choose UCL over Warwick simply because I prefer the city life. Also UCL's location is more ideal when applying to schemes.

But there's not much if anything between them in terms of the quality of the course apparently.

Fair enough, I already live in London and want to get away from the whole city thing for three years hence would choose Warwick personally :smile:

Yeah i agree they are both quality courses and both would let you pursue any career you want...
Reply 6317
If given the choice between LSE Maths and Economics and UCL Economics which course would people choose? This is assuming you would enjoy a Maths and Econ course as much as an Econ course.
Reply 6318
Original post by Investment Banker

Original post by Investment Banker
I can see i have gatecrashed your thread but i would suggest that most of you applying this cycle should not panic because top universities like LSE , UCL and Warwick will be offering pretty much more places for home /UK students than any of the previous years due to the fact that they will be getting a bumper £9K unlike last year's incredible competition where LSE offered only a tiny 30% to home students and a tiny 35% at UCL for UK students so you might be getting 60% or so places for you . I m talking of Econ only , so that's why they are silent and taking their time . The level of competition isn't fierce this year compared to last year esp since it was the last year students were eligible for lower fees , so no one was looking forward to a gap year so that they would be welcomed by a £9K fees , so be hopeful .

But surely the £9k fees won't make much difference to the universities that have had their funding cut, and there has to be a physical limit to the number of students that they can take. I think that your point is valid that its probably less competitive this year but could you expand on anything you have to back this up?

Latest