The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I don't really like facebook, I hardly use it.
I only have it because that's usually the way I get invited to parties and stuff and it's handy to keep in contact with people from uni.
Reply 61
Original post by jmfc
It is too invasive.

I still don't understand why so many people post so much about their lives. Stuff like "Got back from an amazing country trip, going to dinner now!" or "heading to chitchat bar to drink a pint and relax". How can people expose themselves this much? :confused: This would be ok if we only had very close friends as facebook friends. Which is not the case.

Or "On the toilet, poo isnt coming out!".
Im not joking, someone wrote that and i was like :confused:
Reply 62
Original post by ak137

That must be a troll. :biggrin:

Someone being funny! :biggrin:

It's ridiculous, really. And while we spend hours in social networking and more alone and miserable day after day! :eek:
Reply 63
Original post by ak137

OMFG. The cat just **** in the litter tray :eek:
Original post by Silver Arrow
So Facebook has a new layout. Here's what it looks like if you haven't already gotten it; http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2074554/Facebook-timeline-feature-Mixed-reaction-latest-changes.html

With the current one, you can see just about everything that happens. If a friend posts a comment to somebody else, it appears on the top right tab. You can see just about anything and everything that your friends get up to and they can can see you too. I don't know about anybody else but i find this extremely invasive.

It's showing far too much information which is visible to everyone in your friends list be they friends, family, workmates, acquaintances e.t.c For example if you post on a friends wall about last night's shenanigans or who cheated on who,with who, then you better believe that everybody on both the people's friends list will know about it.

This has gone too far what do you guys thing about it?

You are right. but with privacy settings you can maintain your privacy and control the amount of information you want people to see about what you are doing and, decide who can see the information too.. try it :cookie:
I like the new layout. I like the big picture at the top, and I like the way recent statuses and photos are shown. However I don't like the fact that it's so easy for everybody to see posts from since you joined the website. It's a long time since 2007. I've been through a lot in my time. I've said things about/to a lot of people that I'm not proud of. There have been statuses that have caused arguments, photos and comments that have destroyed friendships; and Facebook think we need to see them all again??

If my boyfriend sees some of the things that I used to be like with a certain guy I'm pretty sure he'd be annoyed. However if I wanted to delete everything I wasn't proud of, I'd have to do a full 2 years worth of things, which is just not possible.

I don't like the fact that even people who you WEREN'T friends with when you posted the things can see it. I'm ashamed to admit that I used Facebook when I was a teen to complain about my family, and now they'll be able to easily see all of that at the click of a button. We've all done stupid things as teenagers, but it feels like everything's just coming back to bite us on the backside now.

I don't like it, and unless I can find a way to stop people from viewing past statuses on my timeline, I'm going to have to deactivate my account. Who knows, this might be the wakeup call we need to move away from social networking and go back to old fashioned styles of communication.
Reply 66
facebook is only as invasive as you decide it is. it's not like it goes into your computer and pulls out pictures...you decide to post them. also, you have privacy controls in hand to stop people from viewing stuff.

so no, its not too invasive.
Reply 67
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I like the new layout. I like the big picture at the top, and I like the way recent statuses and photos are shown. However I don't like the fact that it's so easy for everybody to see posts from since you joined the website. It's a long time since 2007. I've been through a lot in my time. I've said things about/to a lot of people that I'm not proud of. There have been statuses that have caused arguments, photos and comments that have destroyed friendships; and Facebook think we need to see them all again??

If my boyfriend sees some of the things that I used to be like with a certain guy I'm pretty sure he'd be annoyed. However if I wanted to delete everything I wasn't proud of, I'd have to do a full 2 years worth of things, which is just not possible.

I don't like the fact that even people who you WEREN'T friends with when you posted the things can see it. I'm ashamed to admit that I used Facebook when I was a teen to complain about my family, and now they'll be able to easily see all of that at the click of a button. We've all done stupid things as teenagers, but it feels like everything's just coming back to bite us on the backside now.

I don't like it, and unless I can find a way to stop people from viewing past statuses on my timeline, I'm going to have to deactivate my account. Who knows, this might be the wakeup call we need to move away from social networking and go back to old fashioned styles of communication.

You've kind of hit the nail on the head of what I thought/think is wrong with FB

It was too easy for naive people to 'say' things for all and sundry to see (hear?) that they probably wouldn't do in face-to-face public. An analogy. Imagine clicking [Reply All] to an All Staff company email slagging off the boss/company and it goes to all the Managers. You make yourself look like a right **** and seriously embarrass yourself in the process.

The banality of some of the stuff that gets posted is another matter. WGAF if you're stuck on the train and eating your sandwiches :s-smilie: Or is that Twatter?
Reply 68
ah, the bi annual wrecking of fassbook...
The invasiveness aspect doesn't bother me as much, because I'm not stupid enough to display my entire life on there anyway, but that layout really does look ****. I don't want to look at a load of massive pictures whenever I click someone's profile, ughhhh. I can see Google Plus benefiting from this.
Reply 70
Original post by L'Amour Toujours
Exactly this; took the words right outta my mouth.

Facebook changes are always a bit Marmite-esque, in that people either love them or hate them without even giving the new format a chance. I, personally, opted to voluntarily start using the 'timeline' and I quite like it. Yes, it has flaws, but you wouldn't be using social media whatsoever if you were that concerned about 'OMFG NO PRIVACY?!' surely?

I opted to use Timeline too, although I did it myself by just becoming a 'fake developer'.

At first I really thought it was the worst thing ever, really put me off, but as everything you just get used to it don't you?

& over the next few weeks there will probably be even more improvements etc.

The main trouble with people is that they let facebook control them, instead of having control of facebook. Like when people say ''Oh I deleted my account to revise'' (sorry if you're one who does this :colondollar:).. but really, nobody makes you log on and spend hours pressing F5 and so on.
Original post by .eXe
facebook is only as invasive as you decide it is. it's not like it goes into your computer and pulls out pictures...you decide to post them. also, you have privacy controls in hand to stop people from viewing stuff.

so no, its not too invasive.

You obviously haven't seen the new layout if you still think this. Yes, you have control over everything you've posted. However people do post things without thinking, maybe post things about people they weren't friends with at the time and now are.. and now anybody can see anything anybody's posted since joining at the click of a button. You can change privacy settings, but you have to go onto every single post to do so, there's no global setting for timeline yet.

I've spent my afternoon deleting everything from 2008 and 2009, because I was an absolutely pathetic specimen of a teenage girl back then. Posting things about people when I had the temporarily deleted, not realising that now, years late, things are able to be seen once again by the very people who I never wanted to see them.
Reply 72
Original post by jmfc
That must be a troll. :biggrin:

Someone being funny! :biggrin:

It's ridiculous, really. And while we spend hours in social networking and more alone and miserable day after day! :eek:

Believe me it wasnt a troll or a frape :nooo:

The things some people put on facebook are insane :shock:

Tell me about it, friday night - TSR, facebook and youtube, its all you need really! :biggrin:

:sigh:
Reply 73
Original post by ak137

Tell me about it, friday night - TSR, facebook and youtube, its all you need really! :biggrin:

:sigh:

If, like me, you don't have nothing better to do, yeah, that will do. :colondollar:
Reply 74
Original post by jmfc
If, like me, you don't have nothing better to do, yeah, that will do. :colondollar:

:five:
Reply 75
If FB are gonna do another update they could at least put in a option for the "Sex" bit in your info to read "Yes please"
Reply 76
If you don't like it then don't use it, it's as simple as that. The way some people go on about Facebook it's like they're being forced to use it. The tradeoff for having access to it for free is that it's going to use some of your personal information for advertising and it's going to want to make that information more open. It's not such a big deal afterall because you're the person that choice to make that information public afterall.
Reply 77
Facebook can expose a bit too much, but then again, there are privacy settings to alter this. I see your point that you when you signed up to Facebook, these features weren't existant and they have gone a bit too far.

It's showing far too much information which is visible to everyone in your friends list be they friends, family, workmates, acquaintances e.t.c For example if you post on a friends wall about last night's shenanigans or who cheated on who,with who, then you better believe that everybody on both the people's friends list will know about it.

If you don't want people to find out what you're saying to a friend, just PM them. If the timeline feature 'reveals too much', it only shows what is there. If you don't want people to see it then maybe it's best not to post it.

Personally, I don't use Facebook anymore; not because of the lack of privacy, just I can't see the appeal in it anymore.
Original post by Kolya
How's that invasive? You're posting on somebody else's wall - it's not invading your space. If you were to put the same post on your wall (and tag the friends for convenience) then you could choose exactly who sees it.

Well done you've completely missed the point of my post.
It's only as invasive as the amount of information you put on there.
And if you don't like it that much, don't use it.

Latest

Trending

Trending