The Student Room Group

Manchester university- Optometry

What sorts of questions are asked in the interview? how many interviewers are there? has anybody had their interview yet?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, i have an interview for optometry in February 2012. Did you have an interview ? if so how did it go ? Are you now studying optometry and where ? What did they ask you ?

Thanks
Reply 2
I have an interview too in Feb for optom at manchester! any advice??
Reply 3
when did u send off your ucas?
Reply 4
i sent mine off about middle of Nov! what bout you? do you have an interview there too?
Reply 5
Original post by Amee-L
Hey, i have an interview for optometry in February 2012. Did you have an interview ? if so how did it go ? Are you now studying optometry and where ? What did they ask you ?

Thanks

Original post by pinguuu
I have an interview too in Feb for optom at manchester! any advice??

Hi :smile:
Well I had my manchester optometry interview last month and tbh the most important thing is your personal statement! The guy that interviewed me had my personal statement in front of him with several things highlighted (this freaked me out at first :redface:) and most of the interview was based around that. At the start he did ask the usual questions, why optometry? why manchester? so make sure you've got your answers prepared for those :smile: I'd written about Stargardt's disease in my personal statement so he picked up on that and asked about the symptoms etc. so if you have written about any particular conditions, be prepared to answer questions on them! At the end, he asked me my opinion on embryonic stem cells cause I'd mentioned something about them in my statement but even though he disagreed with my opinion, he gave me the offer so don't be afraid to have an opinion :smile:
It's not a panel interview, just a one on one and he/she might not even be an optometrist! I think I had a biology lecturer and some other people had zoologists (LOL) but some people did have an optometrist so ya never know.
Before my interview I searched through the optometry threads from last year and collected some questions that people have been asked at manchester previously and prepared answers for those questions so here they are:
-Why Optometry?
-Why Manchester?
-How has your work experience helped you make a decision on what to study?
-What do you do in your spare time?
-How are Optoms important in the diagnosis of diabetes?
-They could ask you about Cataracts or Glaucoma.
-Why optom and not orthoptics? Distinguish between the two?
-What is the role of an optometrist? What else do they do apart from sight tests?
-What would be your motivation in optom as a career?
-What was the last optom journal you've read? (read Optometry today :biggrin: )
-tell me about your work experience?
-What have you done to help the general public before?
-What would you say is your biggest success up to now?
-Give me a situation where you've worked as part of a team.
-Give me a situaution where you had to do some problem solving.
-give me a difficult situation that you have been in.
-why do u think ur good with people?
-example of when your patience has been tested, how did u deal with the situation, what did u learn?
-what do u think makes a good leader?

Smile, make eye contact, be confident and most importantly be yourself :biggrin: The success rate at interview is really high, everyone in my group got an offer except for one guy but he was applying for dentistry so fair play :L They give you the offer there and then, right after the interview so no nervous waiting time :tongue: Best of luck! x

Oh yeah and you'll have a tour before/after the interview and they'll even provide a packed lunch; sandwiches, crisps, a banana and a bottle of water :tongue:
Reply 6
ahh that information is so helpful! if you don't mind me asking what grades did manchester offer after the interview?
Reply 7
i love you
Reply 8
i love you, thanks so very much
Hey,

I know this is quite late but for all the new applicants,
My interview was about 10 minutes long and i had one interviewer. Also everyone was split into groups and we had various tasks throughout.
The questions i got asked.
1. Why optometry?
2. What skills does an optometrist require?
3. Have you faced any difficulties in college and how did you overcome it?
4. Have you had any work experience related to optometry?
5. If there was a taxi driver and his vision was not the legal amount and therefore he would not be able to drive even with glasses and contact lenses, How would you inform him about this?
Reply 10
Hi I've applied to optometry for 2017 entry and got my Manchester interview in February. Are there any tips to have a successful interview? Also do I dress formal? How are you finding the course what do you in the first year? Sorry for bombarding you with questions but I'm so nervous 😩
I had my interview recently and got an offer. How about you?
Has anyone completed first year of optometry at Manchester if so how was it for you? can anyone forward a copy of your timetable please. Thanks in advance
Reply 13
Original post by Poor student
I had my interview recently and got an offer. How about you?

Same I was so nervous but luckily I had a nice interviewer
Reply 14
I had a savage interviewer, sad times
Reply 15
Who did u have? Heard Fiona was strict
Reply 16
I had caroline, i think her name was
Original post by NE16

Have you got an offer? Are you going to Manchester ? It would be good to know a few ppl before sept
Original post by NE16

Have you made Manchester your firm
Original post by NE16
Yeah just need the grades now to fully get in. Made Manchester firm since I live like 10 mins away from optometry building and aston insurance. Wbu?

I made Manchester my firm choice subject to some occupational health screening that i need to get it done my GP. I'm Naz by the way hope to see there.

Quick Reply

Latest